Stephenie Meyer: Producer

Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Re: Stephenie Meyer: Producer

Post by bored by the sea »

pennybug84 wrote:I'm pretty sure that Jacob imprinting on Renesmee is going to be in there. (Why would they leave something that important to the story out? Jacob does end up happy w/his soul mate.) They will just have to be VERY CAREFUL on how they explain it so that those who have not read the books don't get the wrong idea or get grossed out. (I'm REALLY hoping that it gets explained in Eclipse so that they won't have to backtrack in BD. But they might not since they like to cut things out. Anther good reason that SM will be a producer on this one.)
***** spoilers***********

i'm pretty sure i read in one of those blog reviews fromfans who saw the Oprah screening that Jake DOES explain imprinting in Eclipse :)
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

bored by the sea wrote: ***** spoilers***********

i'm pretty sure i read in one of those blog reviews fromfans who saw the Oprah screening that Jake DOES explain imprinting in Eclipse :)
Sweet! Good to know.

Just thinking about that makes me wonder how people like my mom who have not read the books will feel about imprinting after watching the movie? My mom asked me once what happened to Jacob (she knew that Edward & Bella got married) and all I said was that he becomes a part of their family in a weird way. THANKFULLY she did NOT ask me to explain that one to her! I didn't want to have to dive into that & explain it all to her!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

pennybug84 wrote:
bored by the sea wrote: ***** spoilers***********

Sweet! Good to know.

Just thinking about that makes me wonder how people like my mom who have not read the books will feel about imprinting after watching the movie? My mom asked me once what happened to Jacob (she knew that Edward & Bella got married) and all I said was that he becomes a part of their family in a weird way. THANKFULLY she did NOT ask me to explain that one to her! I didn't want to have to dive into that & explain it all to her!
gah o.k. well my mum asked the very same kind of question and DID ask me to explain it to her she wasn't impressed at all im fairly sure she said that's disgusting, although im thinking she didn't truly get what i was exactly saying, i did say to her that its not like "that" with Jake and Renesmee, i tried to explain it more fully by using Quil and Claire don't think that helped :lol: sooo yeah im also intrigued to see how people react in the cinema who haven't read the books, i think it'll be pretty clear who those people are too :lol:
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I am hoping that Stephanie will make it to where it's not going to freak people out with the whole impriniting thing.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
StacieElizabeth
Settled in Forks

Post by StacieElizabeth »

I never knew that she was going to be a producer on the movie that's really amazing!!!!! I think the movie is going to be in really good hands then because i dont think she would let anything bad happen to the movie! Im really excited about that!
TIME PASSES, EVEN WHEN IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE
despoina92
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by despoina92 »

I could see SM stepping into the production of BD. Apparently, it is th emost controversial book of the Saga. So, naturally, Summit would like to make many changes in the movie, so it could work better on screen. On the other hand, there are lots of fans who loved the Saga, but are quite sceptistic about BD (I am among those people and discussed with many other with the same views). It is essential for her that this book, who seems to be her favorite, gets a faithful adaptation.

I have mixd feelings about it. I like the fact that she's gonna play a very serious role, so that nothing goes wrong and there are no misinterpretions on screen. On the other hand, the book is too big and, even though it is going to be what it seems two movies, it is important that the key scenes should be chosen very carefully. Also, she should definitely hae a strong say on how Renesmee will look and behave etc.

Another part of me is kinda bugged from the fact that she's producing. Like I've mentioned, I'm not the biggst fan of BD, and I wished that, if there was a movie, some things would slightly change. The most important for me is the relationship between Edward and Renesmee. I didin't like the fact that in the book she had developed such a strong bond with Jacob and not as much with her father. It just didn't feel right. Of course, this is a personal opinion, but I feel that many people wished for that too. I don't say that they should not show imprinting or Jacob hanging around much (even though I don't like it, it's an essential part of the story and has to be in there), but just show the dynamics of the father - daughter relationship a bit more.

SM's involvment also worries me a bit about the sex scenes in the book. I mean, I get it, she doesn't feel comfortable write about this and I respect this. After all, it doesn't matter much in the book, because she has the talent to createmuh tension in the books, without describing exactly any activity of such nature. But in BD, there should show some skin. After all, Bella and Edward have been discussing about this throughout the Saga, the chemistry is palpable and they finally get there in the honeymoon, something that results to the main plot of the book, Renesmee... and then it fades to black. I'm not talking about any explicit scenes, but they could bring it in some beautiful, artsy way there. But now I'm not so sure about it, either.

That;s a part of what I'm thinking about it. Your thoughts?
Melody
Learning to Love Green

Post by Melody »

I agree about the sex scene issue. I understand that SM doesnt like to go into that topic too much and prefers the whole "fade to black" thing. I just hope they realise how annoyed fans will be if they dont give any detail and follow the book exactly. It annoyed me so much in the book - i hope the movie doesnt disapoint! It doesnt need to be detailed but i mean come on! we need something! v :lol:

Team Edward - because real men sparkle ;)
Trainee in "Emmetts Demolition Crew"
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

I would agree with some prior comments that having SM as producer is going to be mostly an improvement, but that there are some things that will need a lot of rework and she will have to be flexible. Truly faithful adaptations are not necessarily a good thing. I’m thinking specifically about the imprinting.

The problem with the imprinting storyline isn’t as much with devoted fans who have little choice but to accept it, as is it going to be with a movie audience that doesn’t have to accept it. It does not make logical sense for the imprinter to simply randomly imprint on someone; there must be a purpose behind it. Try to convey to the audience that the imprinting is just some sort of supernatural protector/big brother/best friend/potential lover kind of thing, and most people will go “huh?”. That’s because that doesn’t really make sense—why is this happening? I think Sam’s biological perpetuation of the species theory is one that works best in most people’s mind, because now it makes more logical sense, but then you have Jacob imprinting on the baby he just helped deliver himself. This means that Jacob is eventually going to have sex with Renesmee. Yes, this is going to be years later, but we see Nessie first as a baby. I just don’t think it is going to work.

Even Bella flat out states that she never dreamed Jacob would continue being a part of the family as her son-in-law. Does that make it in the movie?, because that is one of the most memorable lines in that chapter. Jacob has already explained the imprinting thing to Bella; was Bella confused, did she misunderstand? And if that line is taken out of the movie, then doesn’t that say that this imprinting thing might be a real problem? If Bella didn't really get the imprinting thing, then how is the movie audience going to get it? Or is the real problem that Bella does get it?

How about just before, when Bella realizes that Jacob has imprinted on Nessie? She is holding her daughter, and Jacob has his hands on Nessie. She pulls her daughter closer, and Jacob steps forward so close he is almost touching Bella, with the baby still between them, his hands are still on Nessie, and he has this look of adoration on his face as he is staring at her. Is that scene from the book going to be faithfully adapted to the movie?

I don’t mean to be disrespectful of the Twilight canon, I just think there needs to be some real flexibility on how to adapt the novel. Personally, I would be very tempted to simply eject the entire imprinting business. I just don’t think there is any way to step through that minefield.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

despoina92 wrote:Another part of me is kinda bugged from the fact that she's producing. Like I've mentioned, I'm not the biggst fan of BD, and I wished that, if there was a movie, some things would slightly change. The most important for me is the relationship between Edward and Renesmee. I didin't like the fact that in the book she had developed such a strong bond with Jacob and not as much with her father. It just didn't feel right. Of course, this is a personal opinion, but I feel that many people wished for that too. I don't say that they should not show imprinting or Jacob hanging around much (even though I don't like it, it's an essential part of the story and has to be in there), but just show the dynamics of the father - daughter relationship a bit more.
I agree w/you on the relationship between Edward & Renesmee. One thing that bugged me was the fact if Bella didn't have her it was either Rosalie or Jacob. Her relationship w/her father was hardly mentioned or discussed. The only time I can remember is when Bella is changing & Edward is singing to her. I would have to think that they had a better & stronger relationship than is mentioned in the book.

As for the sex scenes after readig some interviews online I'm not worried about it fading to black. There will be some stuff there. It won't be explicit but probably as far as they can go for a PG-13 movie.

Corona now I understand the worries you brought up about the imprinting but how could they not explain what happens to Jacob? He will be at the Cullens house all the time. As Bella says things are finally fine between them & I think she even uses the word right. His relationship with Edward even finally gets to a place where they're not ready to kill each other. Those fans who have only seen the movies (like my mom & because of this she prefers Jacob. She made the comment she doesn't think Bella should become a vampire) would want Jacob to have his happy ending. And well the imprinting is important to that. I just hope that there is a MUCH better explanation of imprinting at some point. Plus I REALLY wanna see Bella get ticked (?sp) at & lunge at Jacob. Good Luck to those reponsible for this!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
too old for edward
Settled in Forks

Post by too old for edward »

Corona the reason that people who have not read the book like your Mom, perfer Jacob is because MR has done such a horrible job with the relationship between E & B. The book Jake and Movie Jake are totally different. She has made him the underdog in these movies and people love to root for the underdog and it is clear that MR favors Jacob and by doing so she has almost single handly ruin the whole saga. They should have hired a new screenwriter after Twilight. We are so desperate for the honeymoon because we want to see any kind of love and affection between E&B, something that has been totaaly missing in the last three movies.