New Moon movie-appropriate for what age?

Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

New Moon movie-appropriate for what age?

Post by bac »

New Moon is rated PG-13. Is it appropriate for younger viewers?
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: New Moon movie-appropriate for what age?

Post by Openhome »

I wouldn't go any younger than 11 or 12. It isn't violent or inappropriate, it's just that younger viewers won't really get it. We went with a 9 year old who is pretty mature and knows the story, but she really didn't understand the symbolism and depth of feelings that the movie showed. She kept asking why the characters were acting like that. I think that a younger child might be OK with it, but why waste the money? Let the little one see Wild Things and take the big kids to New Moon.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

In holland the rating was 12 and older.....
I took my neighboors daughters with me, the youngest was 11.... she didn't read new moon but did read twilight so she knew the story a bit.... but I thought the emotions she didn't understand yet....

Also they show very clearly the rip up of two Vampires, not to mention Edwards head cracking.... I thought that could cause the younger people to think about a lot...
but if they have rated it higher, it would be impossible to make Breaking Dawn and possibly Eclipse for the appropriate age....
you will get them R- rated then I guess....

I think they should start rating it different.... Only people allowed in are people who have read the book or have seen the first movie....I was more annoyed with girl who were there just to see Taylor's naked chest...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xhopeonaropex »

I think the rating was very appropriate to be PG 13. I wouldn't want my 10 yr old cousin to watch this at all, let alone read the books. I just told my 13 yr old cousin the other day that it's ok for her to start reading the books even though I'm still a bit hesitant about it. I don't want her to be exposed to that much emotion yet while she is still just 13. But the movie was great and I appreciate how much similar to the book it was aside of some minor changes. But all in all it was great. I apprecaite Summit's work and the director's cooperation with Stephenie to make this so much similar to the book. :]
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

marielle wrote:I think they should start rating it different.... Only people allowed in are people who have read the book or have seen the first movie....I was more annoyed with girl who were there just to see Taylor's naked chest...
I like that idea.

As for age-ness, my family is definetely not letting my 10 year old sister see it, even though a couple of her friends went (at midnight!) to see it. We, of course, question their sanity.
I would say 11-12 (Edit: :roll: You know what I meant.) at the very youngest, and they should read the books before hand so they know what's missing.
Last edited by dandyvampgirl_13 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:I would say 1-2 at the very youngest, and they should read the books before hand so they know what's missing.
I'm hoping you mean 11-12. I think all the squeeing fangirls would make babies and toddlers cry.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I honestly don't think that some of the 11, 12, or 13 year olds, and pretty much your middle school crowd, can really grasp what these books and their respective movies mean when they are that young because they have a new bf/gf it seems every other week. I do think that there are those 15/16 year olds and those older then them do have a firmer understanding of the content of the books.

With this movie/series in particular, I don't really think that anyone under the age of 15/16 can really understand what is being presented to them.

There are those that are like 12 or 13 that could understand the movies, but I really think that if should be left to those a bit older.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

As far as content, Twilight and New Moon are no worse than your average TV-PG rated drama show(some violence, blood, mild swearing and dialogue). But conceptually, I'd skew to a little older, like at least 12-13-younger people might not get the concepts of true love, etc.

Besides, the screaming might irritate the younger ones, too-I'll be 23 Friday, and such things irritate me(screaming, crowds, tight spaces, etc). That's why I'll wait to see New Moon on DVD. Content, I'd say that a PG-13 rating is high(I've seen PG rated movies with more violence, swearing, etc), but as far as concepts, I'd still skew to teens being the target audience.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

I think that the age people should watch it is 12+, just because of all the emotions, and even at that age, they won't be able to fully grasp the emotions, just the basics.

I think at teens, they'll get it.
marielle wrote:I was more annoyed with girl who were there just to see Taylor's naked chest...
I love Taylor as much as the next person, but I think you're right. That people who are just there for the good-looking guys should be kept out, ha.

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

^^ yeah Maybe for eclipse... the first week or weekend only fans who have read the books should be allowed in...
do a test first if pass you can go in...
that way, they don't have to worry about rating... because we will know the gore and dirty things that will happen....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house