Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread

Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread

Post by Essay33 »

Jazz Girl wrote: Wow, judgement much. I bear equal cost and responsibility in all activities in which I engage. I never said there should not be boundaries. In fact, I'm a big believer in boundaries and rules. However, my inclination is to say that providing alternatives is preferable to forcing your beliefs on others before summarily removing their freedom of experience. [/color]
Wow. Sense of entitlement much?

You bear absolutely no cost nor responsibility should FF.net undergo legal action or be completely shut down because of content.

And you have no right (I'm using that in the correct sense) to demand that anyone be allowed "freedom of experience" (what IS that, anyway, I can't seem to find it in the US Constitution). You have no "right" either to demand alternatives to something that is essentially a courtesy service.

Don't let it stop you from demanding the same, however. It's so very American, the sense that once something is given to you, it's a "right."
I place complete and total blame on the person or persons now playing FanFiction Morality Police. That is who I am angry with. That is who is infringing on my rights to read and enjoy that which I deem appropriate for me. If I have to go to a different site or do whatever, that makes no never mind for me. But, it is not at all the right or responsibility for anyone other than me to decide what is right for me or any other individual to read.
This just makes me LOL. Seriously. It's like a kid getting caught for breaking a rule, yelling "HE TOLD, HE'S A FINK!" If people followed the rules of the site--however laxly they may have been enforced--there'd be nothing to police. If people want to play cyber cop, that's no more immature nor morally repugnant than those who flout the rules and then whine when they're caught.

The top 20 fandoms alone on ff.net have over 1,451,524 stories. How the heck are they supposed to "fairly" monitor a site that size? They're dependent upon people obeying the rules, and when they don't, on others reporting objectionable content.
Last edited by Essay33 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Okay...I see the point of both sides on the ffic.net BDSM/NC-17/R debate. As an educator of pre-teens and an aunt of teens, I would definitely be opposed to my students reading ffics such as TT, The Dominant, and The Submissive. Even EP and WA would not meet my approval for the under 16 crowd. I have even discussed the "legal" issue with my principal just in case one of my students happen upon one of these stories while searching for my story on ffic.net. To be on the "safe" side, I have started posting a parental permission notice on my story, and it isn't anywhere near the censor range. The thoughts of one of my fifth graders getting hold of some of the stories that I indulge in as a guilty pleasure kind of makes me queasy!
On the other hand, I wonder why in the world ffic.net would even make the MA/16+ rating an option if they were going to constantly be censoring the content. I went over to ffic.net to check out the rating scale...this is what I found concerning the ratings...
MA 16+ Not suitable for children or teens below the age of 16 with possible strong but non-explicit adult themes, references to violence, and strong coarse language. (This is the description.)
MA 18+ Unverified Contains Explicit Content for mature adults only (This is the MA graphic)
So, it seems, even the scale is not without some wiggle room on the subject.
The fact that ffic.net is a free site may have a great deal to do with the fact that they have no verification button for the 18+ crowd. However, I believe that installing that one feature and creating an adults only category would solve the whole controversial issue.
Until then, I guess we will just have to deal with the censorship of some fics and be thankful that we are even allowed to write/read fics based totally 100% on someone else's work. I guess those of us who love our BDSM will have to run on over to Twilighted and sign up. BTW...are they free? :lol:

Now, I find this after looking a little closer...
Please note FanFiction.Net does not accept explicit content, Fiction Rating: MA, and the rating is only presented for reference.
So, this begs the question...WHY ARE WE EVEN DEBATING THE ISSUE? Based on this statement alone, MOST of the popular fics on ffn are technically not even supposed to be allowed on the site. :?

Last edited by missp on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Twilighted is free, but you must sign in and it is an adult only site for most of the fics. They try, as much as they can, to warn off teens and even gave them their own play place. However, I have encountered many teens in the chat section of the site. However, I think you would love it there MissP. Singularity is there and I am Openhome there as well.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Essay33 wrote:This just makes me LOL. Seriously. It's like a kid getting caught for breaking a rule, yelling "HE TOLD, HE'S A FINK!" If people followed the rules of the site--however laxly they may have been enforced--there'd be nothing to police. If people want to play cyber cop, that's no more immature nor morally repugnant than those who flout the rules and then whine when they're caught.

The top 20 fandoms alone on ff.net have over 1,451,524 stories. How the heck are they supposed to "fairly" monitor a site that size? They're dependent upon people obeying the rules, and when they don't, on others reporting objectionable content.
Rule of law vs rule of practice is an actual legal precedence. If you make a rule but then do not enforce it at all, a person's actions that violate the written rule but not the spirit in which it has been enforced can be found to be legal and acceptable.

I am not arguing that the stories violate the letter of the ToS. I am not arguing that FFn has every right to withdraw the story. My argument is merely that it would be very nice if individuals were not vindictive or self riteous in their desire to see those rules enforced. Rather than waltzing in and demanding a stories removal because it offends one's own personal sensibilities, or that the site be shut down because again, one's own ire is raised, perhaps a logical and reasonable approach to the issue such as requesting that an Adults Only section be created, that a system of checks and balances be put in place, would be much more civil.

Yes, I'm well aware of how many stories exist on the site. Perhaps, FFn should have restricted their capacity until they could suitably police the site. Perhaps they should charge a fee for authors to post so that they can administer in such a way that they don't risk violating their own agreements. That, again, is not the issue.

What I choose to read and enjoy is up to me, not anyone else. That is my point all along. The people reporting the stories are not reporting the stories because they violate the ToS. They are reporting them because they are offended by the content, don't approve of it being out there for public consumption, and want it removed completely. But, they realize that by reporting it to the mods and threatening the well being of the site, they get what they want. It is no different than my public library pulling the Harry Potter novels from circulation because a militant parent complained about their presence. If I am immature or morally repugnant for demanding my right to read them(whether I want to or not), then so be it.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

Jazz Girl wrote:Rule of law vs rule of practice is an actual legal precedence. If you make a rule but then do not enforce it at all, a person's actions that violate the written rule but not the spirit in which it has been enforced can be found to be legal and acceptable.
It is "precedent," not precedence, and yes, I did one year in law school. Enough to send me screaming for a saner career, and enough to know that your verbiage, while technically sound (barring the misused noun) is irrelevant when it comes to the situation at hand. It is within the province of FF.net to enforce their posted rules, not enforce them, or shut down their site entirely without so much as a "by your leave."
...perhaps a logical and reasonable approach to the issue such as requesting that an Adults Only section be created, that a system of checks and balances be put in place, would be much more civil.
...Perhaps, FFn should have restricted their capacity until they could suitably police the site. Perhaps they should charge a fee for authors to post so that they can administer in such a way that they don't risk violating their own agreements.
Perhaps they could do all manner of things...but there's that entitlement thing again, that "we deserve better" attitude. Why should they? If you want a site run a different way, create one.
If I am immature or morally repugnant for demanding my right to read them(whether I want to or not), then so be it.
You. Don't. Have. Any. RIGHTS. In. This. Situation. At. ALL.

*sigh*

That is the WHOLE objection I have: The insistence that there's been some sort of breach of "rights." You have no RIGHT to read/post anything on FF.net. None of us has any RIGHT to do so. No more do we on any other site we neither own nor pay a fee for usage. We have no RIGHT to be entertained, no RIGHT to experience ANYTHING on the internet. It's not a freaking RIGHT. It's a desire, it's a wish, it might even be a "good thing" in some contexts, but it's simply not a RIGHT.

If the conversation were directed toward "I'm angry that some people finked on others, I think it's nasty, I wish FF.net wouldn't start yanking stuff, etc.," I probably would never have posted about it at all. But dang, that typical misuse of "rights" reared its ugly head at the start...
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Although I can see how this discussion has come about, I think it is time to get back to discussing specific fanfiction and writing, etc. If you need to take some time to cool off, then please do. Now, back to discussion of fanfiction (and not websites and their policies, etc.)
by Laniyeah on photobucket
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Caryn ~ New link to EP

http://bit.ly/c4sKMq
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
SweetKay
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by SweetKay »

navarre wrote:Caryn ~ New link to EP

Awesome!

Thanks Christy!!!
SweetKay
ImageImage
TEAM EDWARD ~~ EX-FACTOR ADDICT ~~ WA ADDICT ~~ TEAM ALICE
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

SweetKay wrote:

Awesome!

Thanks Christy!!!

You are welcome, bb. :D
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Yes, Christy, many many thanks.

BAC~ a point of clarification, if I may? Will the fanfic thread be one of those threads where the 100 pg limit no longer applies, or should we start requesting a shiny new thread? Thanks.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS