Chapter 21: First Hunt

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Re: Chapter 21: First Hunt

Post by Jadey »

1. How easy does it seem that Bella learns how to control her body and movements? Do you find it odd that for someone who was so clumsy, she can easily emulate Edward’s movements?
She was mentally prepared for it, and has basically been prepared and wary of it since she first realised she loved Eddie, and knew what he was. And she also thinks of the consequences of her movements.

2. What were your reactions to finally being on a hunt? Was Bella’s first hunt what you expected? Why or why not?
I expected Bella to have trouble with it, but then again she went on instincts, and whats natural. I was expecting her to react to it like a human, not a vampire.

3. Do you feel that Bella is behaving like a normal newborn vampire? Think about Riley and the descriptions that Jasper gave regarding newborns in Eclipse, how much different does Bella seem? Why do you think she has more control over thirst?
Bella, to me, acts just like Eddie, Alice and the other Cullen vamps. She has more control over thirst because she knows what will happen if she loses control, and shes seen it happen. And she wouldn't want to kill a human, because she was one just recently, and she knows how horrible it is, and that she would be killing a person that a lot of people loved, and she would put herself in their position.

4. How do you feel Edward is coping with Bella being transformed? What adjustments do you think he is making and what do you suppose he is feeling?
aww Eddie. Good ol' Eddie. He's over the moon. Hes so happy shes changed. And the reason I think hes extremely happy is because she HAD to be changed. It wasn't Bellas CHOICE this time, so Eddie doesn't have to feel guilty, or bad for taking Bellas life/soul because it was either change her, or she dies. And he's accepted that shes finally a vampire, and it was meant to happen. And hes relieved that he can kiss her and whatnot without wanting to eat her. I don't think hes making any adjustments. Just basking in the glory that is Bella the vamp.

5. Bella is now coming to understand the bond of mating between vampires. What are your reactions to those feelings she is discovering? Does experiencing her feelings give a better insight to how Edward may have been feeling in the previous books? Do you think this understanding may give you a different perspective when you think of the “break-up” scene in New Moon?
The feelings she has for Edward are the same as what she had when she was a human, but they're more certain, they're set in stone. The doubts not there, not that she should be doubting her love for Eddie. It doesn't change my perspective of the "break up", it just makes me feel more heartbroken. It made me think they go to extreme lengths to protect the person the have extreme feelings for. I dunno! I guess it makes me think of how Edward could possibly leave. I don't see how he did it.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. How easy does it seem that Bella learns how to control her body and movements? Do you find it odd that for someone who was so clumsy, she can easily emulate Edward’s movements?

It seems very easy for Bella to learn to control her new body. It does seem a bit odd that she can learn so quickly, but I think it's more a product of her new state rather than who she is.

2. What were your reactions to finally being on a hunt? Was Bella’s first hunt what you expected? Why or why not?

I was interested to hear about how it felt to hunt the animals. Even when she was chasing down the humans, I didn't think Bella was going to kill anyone -- based on her past actions and her characterization so it was what I expected.

3. Do you feel that Bella is behaving like a normal newborn vampire? Think about Riley and the descriptions that Jasper gave regarding newborns in Eclipse, how much different does Bella seem? Why do you think she has more control over thirst?

No, Bella is not behaving like a typical newborn. Bella seems much more in control than Riley or any of the other newborns from Eclipse. I think the reason she has more control is because she was prepared for it.

4. How do you feel Edward is coping with Bella being transformed? What adjustments do you think he is making and what do you suppose he is feeling?

I think Edward is coping pretty well -- even when he said he was having trouble letting her fight the mountain lion, he let her. When she was human, he wouldn't have let her get into ANY amount of danger, even stumbling & falling. He is probably a little freaked out and conflicted about how he feels.

5. Bella is now coming to understand the bond of mating between vampires. What are your reactions to those feelings she is discovering? Does experiencing her feelings give a better insight to how Edward may have been feeling in the previous books? Do you think this understanding may give you a different perspective when you think of the “break-up” scene in New Moon?

Well, no matter how much we are supposed to understand the depth of vampire's feelings, the whole break-up scene still makes me upset. It was difficult for Edward, obviously, but that doesn't mean it was less difficult for Bella because she didn't have as much capacity to hurt as Edward did. However, I was interested to learn how it felt for her to have such different feelings & the greater capacity to feel.

Image Image Image
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Odd - yes. But I think it has to do with Bella's state of mind when it came. She has been around the vampires and how the move for a number of months before she was changed.

It was interesting. Like the scene from the Twilight movie made some sense, but being able to get inside the mind of a vampire when it came to hunting was an experience.

I honestly expected Bella to go after the humans that she smelt, not run away like she did.

Normal - no. What was given about vampires was that they were savages, in essence, and gave into their nature. Most of the vampires ate humans, and really couldn't control themselves, because a lot of the time it seemed that the ones that turned them enjoyed the human variety. self control takes time, especially when it comes to something like getting something one
needs in their system. Her control has to do a lot with the support system she has, I think. If she had been turned by a nomad she would have turned out different.

It's a bit of a change for him because he was so used to protecting her from harms way. Now that she's changed, he doesn't need to protect her as much.

Her being in Edward's position had to be an eye opener for her. She understood that he loved her, and that as a vampire every sense is heightened, but never fully understood it until she had been put in his shoes.

It does kinda help me understand why Edward did what he did, but at the same time it makes him look like a bigger idiot.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

nope! shes one of the vamps now!! join the club!!

yes, and no. i thought it was awesome to really get a first glimpse at a vampire hunt. but, like edward, i sooooo didnt expect bella to run away from the humans!!

wwwwaaayyy different!! to quote jasper "ITS NOT NATURAL!!" i was starting to think "oh shoot, her whole immunity thing threw off her transformation!!" and again, will power and anticipation is all it takes!

i think its all very...... emotinally exhausting!! one word: rollercoaster (or is that two words???....)

i thought it was pretty awesome that theres a bond like that and it got me thinking on carlisle and esme and i go "no wonder....." and then i think of edward and i'm like "oh man, poor guy.....i almost feel bad for being mad at him....almost!"
Betting on Alice.
jacobblacksgirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Riding motocycles with Jacob........Cliff diving with Jacob, Embry, Quil, and Sam

Post by jacobblacksgirl »

1.I actully do find that kind of odd i thought for sure that she was gonna mess up for her first hunt. Theres no way that Bella was every clumsy. If Bella was clumsy she sure didn't act like she was i was so shock when i read the first hunt she did bloody awesome in the hunt and she caught a mountain lion.If i remember correctly didn't she tell Edward to caught her a mountain lion in eclipse i think it was

2. Was Bella’s first hunt what you expected? Why or why not? No, Bella's first hunt was not was i expected it to be i always thought that she would need edwards help but not in her hunt.

3. Why do you think she has more control over thirst? Bella is really different the new borns in Eclpise were untrained. The only thing that is different with Bella is that she has been around Edward and his family for awhile and she knows there eating habit and she learned from them how to catch her meals

4. I think Edward is cooping with Bella's transformation really well considering he is just getting used to the way she used to act like being clumsy. I no for a fact the he misses his old bella before she change theres no way he is going to for get the real girl that he fell in love with but he is make due with the Bella he as now the Bella that his is wifey

5. My reactions to the feelings that she is have when she and edward broke up that was her soul mate and when Victoira said that she was going to kill Bella like edward had killed her mate James. Victoria had said mate for mate. So Bella now knows why each vampire has a mate. They have some to to be there for them no matter what they are going thru.
I got my werewolf boy.
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

She is concentrating emensingly hard on what Edward is doing and trying to copy him, I imagine the others weren't focusing so much on it, plus the whole slowing down time thing helps a bunch too.

Eh,.. yeah it was. A little different but, they kill animals..

Maybe she's in so much control because she was so prepared for this,.. who knows,.. Bella has always been different. She seems wayyyy better than any other newborn, bizzarely different.

He gets to not treat her so breakable anymore,.. he's probably so excited. He just seems so happy and surprised by how well Bella is doing.

Somewhat yes, Edward always made comments about Bella's love being a tree to a forest for him. I guess being a vampire and that old, he would have loved her so much more. It appears that everything is more intensified by being a vampire.
caellach
Settled in Forks

Post by caellach »

It did seem odd at first, but when you take into consideration all the 'room' she had in her head after the change, it only stands to reason that she would be able to have more grace. She had the time to consider each movement and placement of her body. I was kinda happy for her.. I don't think her new self esteem could have handled being clumsy!

I LOVED reading about her first hunt. How fun to finally be 'along' on a vampire hunt. It was a treat for me and it was what I expected. I loved the descriptions and visuals. Call me twisted, but I enjoyed it.

She is definitely not your average newborn. From what I read about Riley and the others, I would have expected her to be violent from the instant her eyes open and for her need to feed to be stronger than anything else. A violent need almost. Why does she have more control? She was ready. Not only was she mentally prepared, I believe her mental shields gave her extra strength and self control.

I realize Edward was eager to get her out and hunting, but I wished there had been more clue as to how he reacted to her new body and how she was acting. He seemed to just take it all in stride. He did seem happy to not have to control his strength and fervor with her.

Very thought provoking question! I may need to read it all again just to give it the thought it deserves. The feelings are obviously much much stronger than she had ever anticipated. Even stronger than her 'weak' human love for Edward. I will definitely have to reread the series with this question in mind.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

It seems really easy -- I think that her clumsiness went away when she became a vampire.

Yeah, it was pretty similar. I knew she would have the self-control to hunt animals, so she wouldn't go crazy.

Not even a bit normal. But then, Bella is never normal. That's just how she is.

I think he's adjusting to her not smelling good anymore, but I think he's happy that he doesn't have to worry about killing her anymore.

Not really, I didn't think of that at all.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

No, clumsiness is usually related to ineffective hand eye coordination. If this was repaired it would help a clumsy person.

I think it was pretty much what I expected, yes.

She definitely has more control than them, but I always thought this was because she had come into this ready for a fight and was prepared to do battle over her behaviour.

I think he is going from cautiously optimistic, to extremely hopeful, to delightedly amazed.

I always thought that scene was hard on Edward. It is very clear here, though, that the bond they had has just been set in stone - no pun intended!
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

It felt odd, because we know Bella to be clumsy. On the other hand, it felt totally natural, she's a vampire now, vampires aren't clumsy! :lol:

Because she's not clumsy anymore, I almost expected her to be perfect on her first hunt as well, I was a bit disappointed :D

Off course she's different. She knew what was coming, and she doesn't want to kill humans.

He must be absolutely happy, but still sad at the same time. He'll have her forever now, happy. But she's 'dead', sad. I think he has to get used to her being invulnerable now.

No, it doesn't make me feel any other way.