Chapter 19: New

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 19: New

Post by Alphie »

This chapter discussion was provided by jenni_elyse! Many thanks!

1. Bella mentions that she’ll have to tip Carlisle off about how the morphine effects the changing process if there’s ever a need to change someone again. Do you think there will be a need for the Cullens to change anyone in the future?

2. What was the biggest surprise for you about the way Bella saw her new world through her vampire eyes?

3. Why do you think it’s so easy for Bella to control her feelings since, as a newborn, she shouldn’t be able to?

4. When Bella looks in the mirror, she sees that she’s beautiful, but she doesn’t fully grasp that it’s her she’s seeing. Do you think this is “in character” or “out of character” for Bella?
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Re: Chapter 19: New

Post by Jadey »

1. Bella mentions that she’ll have to tip Carlisle off about how the morphine effects the changing process if there’s ever a need to change someone again. Do you think there will be a need for the Cullens to change anyone in the future?
Maybe. I mean, there can always be another incident like Rosalies, or Emmetts and even Edwards. I dunno if they care about their coven getting too big, but I only think they'll change someone in really serious circumstances.

2. What was the biggest surprise for you about the way Bella saw her new world through her vampire eyes?
Just how clear everything was, and how she can see even the smallest things and details.

3. Why do you think it’s so easy for Bella to control her feelings since, as a newborn, she shouldn’t be able to?
I think it's because of Edwards venom. Edward and Bella were born to be together - so I think its the power and love thats in Edwards venom that made everything so easy. And Bella was born to be a vampire and I think it was just a natural thing for her - so she had no problem with it

4. When Bella looks in the mirror, she sees that she’s beautiful, but she doesn’t fully grasp that it’s her she’s seeing. Do you think this is “in character” or “out of character” for Bella?
Bella seeing herself and saying she looks beautiful but not completely believing it is soooo Bella. She's never thought of herself as anything special, although shes been told many times by a few different people. And spending 18 years of your life looking at something, and having it change in a short period of time will throw you off. I would react the same way.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

No, I think there family is complete. I think Carlisle or one of the others might have the urge to change somebody if they're dying or in pain again, but I don't think they will.

Just trying to picture it... I can't imagine the world in any sharper focus, it's probably so beautiful and might give a bit of a headache.

She's Bella. Haha, it probably helped that she knew what was coming, that she had time to prepare.

In character for anybody. I mean, it takes a long time to get used to a small change, let alone an overeall change in her whole entire appearance! And not seeing her own beauty is completely and totally characteristic of Bella. Edward always, always told her she didn't see herself clearly, and this was an example of it.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

Since all the Cullens have a mate I can't see why it would ever be necessary for them to change anyone else. Unless there was a human that none of them could stand to see die, there would be no reason to change anyone else.

It was strange to hear about the space she had in her head now, and the fact that she could control what emotions she showed other people. I have to say that it was kind of cool that she could see in the dark without effort lol. That would be useful.

Three things come to mind when I think about this. First, Bella was very well prepared for what was coming once the change was done. She had some idea how she would feel and so she was able to recognize that and relax. Secondly, Bella was pretty logical when she was human. Her logic combine with her preparation got her ready for what she should expect. However, I think the biggest factor was that she was able to stay quiet while she was changing. Carlisle was the only other one who managed to stay silent while he changed and he was able to control himself from the start, not to mention he was able to refrain from killing anyone ever. It seems like the discipline learned while staying quiet during the transformation carried over into them being in very good control of themselves afterward.

I guess that is sort of "in character" for her. Bella is so used to thinking she looks plain and very ordinary that she can't grasp how she is now. Bella has to search for flaws in her new body to make sure that it is really her she is seeing. The flaws are things she has always been able to see, and so she is in character by taking comfort in her flaws.
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

RE: Chapter 19: New

Post by SweetImpakt »

I really doubt it. In the first place because they are all evened up in numbers now, they have all found their mate now, so there wouldn't be a real reason to change someone again. And second, because Carslisle swore he would never change anyone again, after what happens with Rosalie. He only changed Emmett to do Rosalie a favour, otherwise he wouldn't have saved him, if he was the one that found him. He only wanted to change Bella because she wanted it really badly for herself, and for Edward. But now there won't be any reason anymore to do one of his familymembers a favor.

I just can't imagine the world could be sharper and clearer. I have the feeling I see everything as it is. Also the hearing surprised me, she could hear really far. The dark was also very difficult to grasp. How you can be able to see clear in a completely dark room. And the eight color :D I cannot imagine another color. It's really strange.

3. Why do you think it’s so easy for Bella to control her feelings since, as a newborn, she shouldn’t be able to do so?
Because of her preparations. She had all the time to prepare herself mentally. She knew what was coming and how hard it was going to be. And also because I think it is in her character. She has a really soft( I don't know whether this is the right word for this) personality. She would never be able to kill someone. .

It's soooo Bella. She wouldn't believe that she is the beautiful woman standing there. She has been living for eighteen years, thinking she's plain and ordinary. She can't get off of that idea in one instant..

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Bella mentions that she’ll have to tip Carlisle off about how the morphine effects the changing process if there’s ever a need to change someone again. Do you think there will be a need for the Cullens to change anyone in the future? I really doubt they would need to change anyone else in the future. If Edward hadn't fallen in love with a silly human they wouldn't have need to now. (Just kidding)

2. What was the biggest surprise for you about the way Bella saw her new world through her vampire eyes? The minute detail of things she could see & the new color she mentioned.

3. Why do you think it’s so easy for Bella to control her feelings since, as a newborn, she shouldn’t be able to? I really wasn't sure at this point. Maybe because she had prepared herself for the change.

4. When Bella looks in the mirror, she sees that she’s beautiful, but she doesn’t fully grasp that it’s her she’s seeing. Do you think this is “in character” or “out of character” for Bella? This is very like Bella. She's never thought of herself as beautiful and thought she looked out of place compared to the beauty that is Edward.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

No, I think they will ever change anyone again. Their family is complete. And I don't think Carlisle wants to put anyone through something like that again, or himself unless he absolute have to. And I don't see that happening.

Like everyone said, just the clarity of it all. How she could see the dust, and the new color in the rainbow. And I loved when she saw Edward for the first time. And how she could identify his scent as honey-lilac-sunshine (I think?).

First of all, I believe that Bella was born for this. She was meant to be with Edward, so part of her personality was already designed to be a vampire.
Second, she had a lot of time to prepare for this. She had spent so much time with the Cullens, and she knew what being a vampire meant. And she was committed to their lifestyle.
And thirdly, I think her inherent compassion for other people has something to do with it. She managed to stop herself in the middle of hunting, because she actually considered who those people might be.

Very "in character" for Bella. She could never see herself as beautiful, so of course seeing this gorgeous creature with red eyes in the mirror must be a shock to her. I liked it when she started searching for some of her old characteristic. Like her lips. I think finding some of her old flaws made it easier for her to accept herself.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Only in the case of emergency, I think.. At this point, everyone in the family is paired up so there won't need to be a Bella-repeat :-). I think, because of modern medicine, it's very unlikely that there would be another emergency like there was when Carlisle changed the rest of the family, but there is a small possibility.

The fact that everyone looked so different to her -- even Edward.

She's very determined not to do anything that might put her family or any humans at risk. I don't think it's easy for Bella; I think she's working very hard at it. She's made up her mind not to hurt anyone -- and she has the added advantage of the entire family to support her determination.

4. When Bella looks in the mirror, she sees that she’s beautiful, but she doesn’t fully grasp that it’s her she’s seeing.. Do you think this is “in character” or “out of character” for Bella?

It's very "in character" for Bella. She's never seen herself as beautiful or attractive, so her mind can't connect the sight of the beautiful woman in the mirror with the idea of "self."

Image Image Image
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

You never know...

That she thought she was pretty for once.

Product of good preparation.

A bit of both. It's in character because she doesn't realize it's really herself that she's looking at (much like the wedding, "...before I could blink and turn the beauty back into me...") but it's also out of character because she does think she's pretty.
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

Honestly, i have No idea. i don't think that it is likely to happen.

I don't know. I think it was the extra color that others couldn't see that was surprising.

I think that it was because she prepared her self for how hard it was going to be. also think that Bella has had experience with the terrifying vampires so she doesn't want to be one of them, almost like every cell in her body shys away from being an "evil" vampire.

4. When Bella looks in the mirror, she sees that she’s beautiful, but she doesn’t fully grasp that it’s her she’s seeing. Do you think this is “in character” or “out of character” for Bella? In character i mean now one really ever grasps how beautiful they are vampire or human, Rosile or not. Bella really doesn't see her self as a spectacularly beautiful human but more as someone who is average.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen