General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BeccalovesEdward
Wandering Through Town

Re: Vampire Special Talents

Post by BeccalovesEdward »

Stephenie Meyer has basically said in the books that Esme, Carlisle, and Rose don't have the supernatural superpowers like Alice and Edward. In Breaking Dawn (p. 426-427) Bella says "Maybe this was the part of me I brought forward...like Carlisle's compassion and Esmes devotion. I would probably never be able to do anything interesting or special like Edward, Alice, and Jasper could do." Stephenie essentially says that their power is one of their aspects, i.e. Rosalie's beauty, it's just that it's not a supernatural superpower.
Constantine
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Constantine »

SenorGimp wrote:I am eerily intuitive, which, in Vampire terms, would translate into something like Bella's super control as a Vampire.
I would be able to do all of the vamp stuff exceptionally well, and probably be something along the lines of a vampire psychologist, if such a thing exists.
As for an actual talent...
Hmmm.
I suppose it would be something like extreme persuasiveness, the ability to get people to do what I want, kind of like Jasper's emotional talent, only I would be able to change people's minds, not just their emotions.
That's what I think anyway.
I'm opposite to you to some degree :lol:
If I focus myself towards something I will be fixated on it till I have accomplished it, but if I am half hearted
well distractions arise :D

For talents hmm, (had to ask my sisters) I'm an empathic person which basically means that I am highly in tune to the emotions of those around me. I thought about that, and what my power would be if I were a vamp.

I read the meaning Empathic, I related and understood it then I remembered about Jasper's life before he was changed. To which I believed that he too was an Empath.
But of course no power ever manifest exactly like another's.

So perhaps Empathic mimicry (similar to Peter Petrilli) would be my vamp power, now that would be ideal 8-)
i know you will heal, but i never wanna see you hurt.
~my fan art
IluvEdward27
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by IluvEdward27 »

I would love to have Edwards ability to read minds. But I would also love to see the future.
angelgonemad
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Scotland - Land of the Brave or something like that...

Post by angelgonemad »

This is what I think about all the Vampire's powers and how they came to be..some may be repetitive, but like some quote once said - can't remember who said it or where it is, but it's something along the line as not all powers manifest (you will see this is my new favourite word) in the same way, each person is different as is their talent/gift/power, whatever you want to call it.

Edward-Mind reading – I think he must have been very perceptive when he was alive. Perceptive as being able to know what people were trying to say through gestures, body language etc. I think this is what he may have carried over into his Vampire life and it manifested into this talent of mind reading as he was already on the same wave length as most people and knew what they were trying to say.

Alice-psychic – This one is easy. Alice had the gift of Premonitions when she was a human which is a very large talent to have so it was only obvious that it would carry over to her Vampire life. Well I think so anyway.

Jasper-can change emotions – Jasper, like Edward, is very in tune with people. He is perceptive but in a different way. He way able to know what people were going to do and was able to manipulate this with his charming personality. So when he became a vampire his talent manifested in a different way from Edward’s.

Bella-Shield (mental) – well this is obvious now to everyone since Breaking Dawn. Don’t think I need to explain what I think on this one.

Renesme-Show people her thoughts – again, obvious to those who have read Breaking Dawn. Her talent works the opposite way from her fathers, she is able to let other people read her mind by touching their face and her gift doesn’t exclude anyone the way Bella’s does. She lets anyone see her thoughts with a mere touch. Whereas Bella needs to use considerable strength to detach her shield to let people in.

Eleazar- Sense others power – I feel like I am repeating myself again, I think this is another case of perceptiveness which which followed through into his vampire life a different way from Edward and Jasper’s. Not all people’s gifts and talents come across the same as any other.

Kate- electricity flows over her skin – all I can think of is that Kate was an electric and vibrant person in her human life and she left her mark, the kinds of person you can’t forget easily. I think if you had a shock from Kate you wouldn’t forget it in a hurry.

Maggie- senes lies – very good intuition, I think this is what followed her through into her afterlife. Intuition could very well have changed into a sort of lie detector.

Siobhan-makes people feel a certain way – I thought her gift was changing the outcome through her will??? Anyway, I think she must have been one of those people that believes if you will it, it will happen, a very optimistic person. Even though she doesn’t believe her willing anything is a gift even when it has worked in the past according to Carlisle.

Alistair/James/Demetri -tracker – I just think these tracker types were mean hunters back in their human form. Anyone can hunt, but they must have been terrible to have to take tracking humans into their next life. Even if it is a vampire’s natural source of food. Not one hundred percent sure but all the trackers we have come across in the Twilight Saga, none of have been nice in any sense. James with wanting to kill Bella just for fun so he can battle with Edward. Alistair is a cop out and can’t stand up for his friends. And Demetri, well he says it all, gives you no privacy and can come find you and make your life a misery without even giving it a second thought.

Charles-senses lies – I think he is the same as Maggie. But I think Maggie’s is more powerful.

Zafrina- can show people images or take away their sight -

Ben-controls the elements – I think he must have been one of those people that were in touch with nature and loved the beauty of it and for being so loving of the earth he was given the gift to control the elements. In other words..I think Ben might have been a bit of a hippy in the more modern way.

Jane-gives the sensation of being on fire – I think she was a horrid person in her former life. She must have mentally abused some other children or something. This is not a gift or talent..this is a weapon. A weapon just like her words in previous life, doesn’t hurt you on the outside but on the inside you hurt like being thrown into a pit of flames.

Alec-takes away all senses – Again another weapon but I can’t think of what he could have been like a human in order for his talent/gift to manifest into this. Unless he had no senses, i.e. hearing, smell etc and when he became a Vampire the venom healed these properties and allowed him to take them away from others. Only idea I have.

Renata-Shield (physical) – For some reason I have this vision of Renata being like Esme, a motherly figure I mean. I think being a very caring person and now wanting people to get hurt with her motherly nature gave her this gift when she went into her second life. She comes across as very caring of Aro even though she is his servant per say.

Marcus- sesnes bonds – I think the same as Chelsea in a way but the power but not as advanced.

Chelsea- senses and breaks bonds – I think she was a home wrecker  Okay, that was said in jest but now thinking about it, it would fit in really. Someone that finds a relationship and decides to ruin it which is in fact what Chelsea does. She break the bonds of those that didnt’ have strong beond to begin with, i.e. lovers, she could easily break their love if it wasn’t as strong as what they thought. Hence why she couldn’t break the Cullens as their love was deeper as they were more human than normal Vampires and their love for one another was genuine and none of the Cullens could think of cheating for example on one another. I could be just blowing hot air here not really making sense...but all I got at the moment.

Aro-reads minds through touch – same as Edward, but in a different way.
Hmm this quote isn't right but oh well -

"This isn't real" - Bella
"It is in my world" - Edward
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

If I recall properly, Jane and Alec developed their abilities due to being burned at the stake for suspicion of witchcraft. Jane's was a result of her wishing she could inflict that pain on others, while Alec's was a result of his wishing to take the pain away.

I don't recall if they already showed some hint of this prior to the burning... Maybe someone can clarify this for us.
angelgonemad

Post by angelgonemad »

ringswraith wrote:If I recall properly, Jane and Alec developed their abilities due to being burned at the stake for suspicion of witchcraft. Jane's was a result of her wishing she could inflict that pain on others, while Alec's was a result of his wishing to take the pain away.

I don't recall if they already showed some hint of this prior to the burning... Maybe someone can clarify this for us.
You are most likely right...most of what I wrote is what I thought of how they came to get their gift/talent...what you said is most likel correct as I didn't have any of my books at work to give me any reference. :( Speculation is so much more fun :)

Althought, I don't recollect anything about Jane and Alec being burned at the stake..but I could be wrong. Probably tells us in Breaking Dawn when the Ancients are talking about the Volturi. Anyone know???

Ractor
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Ractor »

Yeah They were changed so young since they had been showing as gifted "witch" children. Jane was getting burned when the voltari showed up and rescued them. Alec wanted to take away her pain and she wanted to inflict it apon the world.
Ractor - Proud Twiguy
Chef for Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
Gino Dartino "Dart"- Twilight Mafia
(forth Line NINJA)
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

angelgonemad wrote:Althought, I don't recollect anything about Jane and Alec being burned at the stake..but I could be wrong. Probably tells us in Breaking Dawn when the Ancients are talking about the Volturi. Anyone know???
Actually, we learned about them being burned at stake through the personal correspondences, they're on the lexicon homepage.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
~*~Emily~*~
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ~*~Emily~*~ »

angelgonemad wrote:This is what I think about all the Vampire's powers and how they came to be..some may be repetitive, but like some quote once said - can't remember who said it or where it is, but it's something along the line as not all powers manifest (you will see this is my new favourite word) in the same way, each person is different as is their talent/gift/power, whatever you want to call it.

Edward-Mind reading – I think he must have been very perceptive when he was alive. Perceptive as being able to know what people were trying to say through gestures, body language etc. I think this is what he may have carried over into his Vampire life and it manifested into this talent of mind reading as he was already on the same wave length as most people and knew what they were trying to say.

Alice-psychic – This one is easy. Alice had the gift of Premonitions when she was a human which is a very large talent to have so it was only obvious that it would carry over to her Vampire life. Well I think so anyway.

Jasper-can change emotions – Jasper, like Edward, is very in tune with people. He is perceptive but in a different way. He way able to know what people were going to do and was able to manipulate this with his charming personality. So when he became a vampire his talent manifested in a different way from Edward’s.

Bella-Shield (mental) – well this is obvious now to everyone since Breaking Dawn. Don’t think I need to explain what I think on this one.

Renesme-Show people her thoughts – again, obvious to those who have read Breaking Dawn. Her talent works the opposite way from her fathers, she is able to let other people read her mind by touching their face and her gift doesn’t exclude anyone the way Bella’s does. She lets anyone see her thoughts with a mere touch. Whereas Bella needs to use considerable strength to detach her shield to let people in.

Eleazar- Sense others power – I feel like I am repeating myself again, I think this is another case of perceptiveness which which followed through into his vampire life a different way from Edward and Jasper’s. Not all people’s gifts and talents come across the same as any other.

Kate- electricity flows over her skin – all I can think of is that Kate was an electric and vibrant person in her human life and she left her mark, the kinds of person you can’t forget easily. I think if you had a shock from Kate you wouldn’t forget it in a hurry.

Maggie- senes lies – very good intuition, I think this is what followed her through into her afterlife. Intuition could very well have changed into a sort of lie detector.

Siobhan-makes people feel a certain way – I thought her gift was changing the outcome through her will??? Anyway, I think she must have been one of those people that believes if you will it, it will happen, a very optimistic person. Even though she doesn’t believe her willing anything is a gift even when it has worked in the past according to Carlisle.

Alistair/James/Demetri -tracker – I just think these tracker types were mean hunters back in their human form. Anyone can hunt, but they must have been terrible to have to take tracking humans into their next life. Even if it is a vampire’s natural source of food. Not one hundred percent sure but all the trackers we have come across in the Twilight Saga, none of have been nice in any sense. James with wanting to kill Bella just for fun so he can battle with Edward. Alistair is a cop out and can’t stand up for his friends. And Demetri, well he says it all, gives you no privacy and can come find you and make your life a misery without even giving it a second thought.

Charles-senses lies – I think he is the same as Maggie. But I think Maggie’s is more powerful.

Zafrina- can show people images or take away their sight -

Ben-controls the elements – I think he must have been one of those people that were in touch with nature and loved the beauty of it and for being so loving of the earth he was given the gift to control the elements. In other words..I think Ben might have been a bit of a hippy in the more modern way.

Jane-gives the sensation of being on fire – I think she was a horrid person in her former life. She must have mentally abused some other children or something. This is not a gift or talent..this is a weapon. A weapon just like her words in previous life, doesn’t hurt you on the outside but on the inside you hurt like being thrown into a pit of flames.

Alec-takes away all senses – Again another weapon but I can’t think of what he could have been like a human in order for his talent/gift to manifest into this. Unless he had no senses, i.e. hearing, smell etc and when he became a Vampire the venom healed these properties and allowed him to take them away from others. Only idea I have.

Renata-Shield (physical) – For some reason I have this vision of Renata being like Esme, a motherly figure I mean. I think being a very caring person and now wanting people to get hurt with her motherly nature gave her this gift when she went into her second life. She comes across as very caring of Aro even though she is his servant per say.

Marcus- sesnes bonds – I think the same as Chelsea in a way but the power but not as advanced.

Chelsea- senses and breaks bonds – I think she was a home wrecker  Okay, that was said in jest but now thinking about it, it would fit in really. Someone that finds a relationship and decides to ruin it which is in fact what Chelsea does. She break the bonds of those that didnt’ have strong beond to begin with, i.e. lovers, she could easily break their love if it wasn’t as strong as what they thought. Hence why she couldn’t break the Cullens as their love was deeper as they were more human than normal Vampires and their love for one another was genuine and none of the Cullens could think of cheating for example on one another. I could be just blowing hot air here not really making sense...but all I got at the moment.

Aro-reads minds through touch – same as Edward, but in a different way.
WOW.Very nice breakdown of all Vampire Special Talents! I'm impressed ;)
<><
~TEAM EDWARD~
Team Cullen-Giving the word Vampire a whole new meaning
ImageImage
angelgonemad

Post by angelgonemad »

I just realised I missed out Zafrina...Um..her talent, being able to show people imagess or take away their sight completely - i thought she took their sight away completely by showing them images, which can be good OR bad.

I think Zafrina could have lived her only little fantasy world in her human life..maybe an a storyteller/writer or something to that effect as the images she produces are something that most people would love to do/go to but can't..i.e. the rainforest, an exotic island or something along that lines.

who_needs_fangs? - thanks for that. I will have to go have a look for that bit of info :)

But now that I know how Alec and Jane came to be then I think in a weird and twisted way that Alec is quite sweet...he must have loved his sister very much, but I suppose that's expected. I would say they must have been witches in a previous life and deserved to be burned at the stake but that wouldn't be right as back in 'those' days (don't know the dates/years) that they burned anyone at the stake for even looking at someone the wrong way. Also, look at Alice, they thought she was a mad person because she had visions and as once one said, by one of Meyer's characters (James I think), she would have been burned at the stake if it was a century earlier.
WOW.Very nice breakdown of all Vampire Special Talents! I'm impressed
Why thank you Emily :D