Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 18 ~ Instruction

Post by Elisabeth33 »

1. Do you feel Bella’s fears for Jacob and the pack being involved in the fight are reasonable?
No, she still sees her breakable human friends, not the indestructible wolves.

2. The wolf pack has grown in number. Who did you suspect the new werewolves were?
Leah and Seth, because they were at the council meeting. No idea about the others, we didn't know who Collin and Brady were at this point.

3. How did you think the wolves and vampires would manage to work together? What about Jacob and Edward’s cooperation for Bella’s safety?

4. What were you thinking as you read about Jasper’s exercises with his siblings?
He's a excellent teacher.

5. What did you predict Bella’s reaction would be to Jacob in wolf form? Were you surprised?
Yes, I was surprised. I thought she'd be scared.
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

1. Do you feel Bella’s fears for Jacob and the pack being involved in the fight are reasonable?
Yes, the majority of the pack is overconfident and can easily get themselves in trouble.

2. The wolf pack has grown in number. Who did you suspect the new werewolves were?
Just more of the Quilette teens.

3. How did you think the wolves and vampires would manage to work together? What about Jacob and Edward’s cooperation for Bella’s safety?
again, the strongest alliances are formed from a common enemy.

4. What were you thinking as you read about Jasper’s exercises with his siblings?
Jasper really knows what he's doing, he'll make sure everything goes smoothly.

5. What did you predict Bella’s reaction would be to Jacob in wolf form? Were you surprised?
I think she would have been a little more afraid, the two times she's seen him as a wolf, she was in mortal danger.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
patricac
Settled in Forks

Post by patricac »

Bella’s fears are reasonable. She didn’t see Jacob or the pack as being strong like the Cullen’s. She knew them as humans, as kids, most of them younger than her. She never really saw the pack in action and couldn’t imagine that they would be capable of fighting vampires.

I did suspect. There were a lot of hints given in New Moon, where the pack is not aloud to tell “outsiders”. At the bonfire, Seth and Leah were there – so either they became wolfs or were imprinted.

I thought it was great that the wolves and Cullen’s decided to work together and was interested to see how they would manage that. I was worried when Jacob decided without discussing with Sam first – since Sam was the Alpha. Jacob and Edward care about Bella’s safety – they just didn’t usually agree on what type of safety was best for her. This time, they were on the same page since they both had the same amount of information and they both knew what was coming.

Jasper’s character is awesome! It was great that they were able to build out his character more and display his expertise. I was a little worried that they were giving too much away to the pack – if something were to go wrong, they would know all their capabilities and fighting styles.

I wasn’t surprised at Bella’s reaction to Jacob in wolf form. When he licked her, I thought that she was going to get mad – since that’s kind of like a kiss, right? Is it ok for Jacob to kiss her in wolf form, but not in human form? It was a little contradictory to me. I thought it was funny how much the pack and the Cullen’s have in common – with their reaction to Bella and Jacob’s interaction. I also would have thought that Edward would have had a more jealous reaction and would have been upset a little more about this public display of affection by Jacob. To me, it was kind of a slap in the face to Edward/Bella’s relationship. It would’ve been nice if there was more of a confrontation on this.
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

Kind of.... I think that she thinks that Jacob is underestimating Victoria, and in a way he is! His pack couldn't bring her down before, so the only thing protecting his pack is really the vampires... oh way Victoria's involvement isn't revealed yet.... well still his pack is up against newborns..... they are wild and unpredictable.

Leah Clearwater and her Brother

I don't know. I knew the wolves would try to cooperate and keep ther distance at the same time but I didn't expect them to show up on the field in wolf form. As for Edward and Jacob, I thought they would just try to find some peace in mind, that their cooperation of each other would keep Bella safe, it wouldn't have to be forever, and soon when all this wa over, they could go back to hating each other.

It was reading cool and I love how they are showing more of Jasper's character in this book. I like how he showed how each of their abilities can contribute to the fight.

I thought that she may be scared, but I wasn't really surprised that she wasn't. In wolf form, Jacob can't talk and is his sweetheart self so thats a bonus.
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

Yes and no. Bella should realize that they can fight off vampires quite easily, but these are also poeple that she cares about. Of course its reasonable for her to be scared for them, even if there's nothing to be afraid of.

I hadn't been payingmuch attention to who was left, so i had no idea who they could be.

I knew that they would work together for Bella's sake, but that was the extent of it. The same goes for the way Jake and Edward work together throught most of the second half of the book.

I was thinking how I would love to be Bella, sitting there and watching it take place even if she wasn't enjoying it much herself. I think it would be very interesting and even fun to watch, like a football game except WAY cooler.

It;s not like it was the first time she had seen Jake in his wolf form, so I didn't expect her to run off screaming. I acted the way I thought she would.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-No, there's no reason to be worried for them if their not even worried for themselves! I knew they'd be okay, I wasn't worried for them.

-I honestly had noooo idea.

-I hoped they would work well together, it would be too much to handle if they couldn't. I figured maybe Edward and Jacob would work together fine, because neither of them wanted to mess things up and jepordize Bella's safety.

-I was thinking of how well a fighter Jasper is and the Cullens were lucky he was on their side.

-Nope, I knew Bella wouldn't be scared. She doesn't get freaked out by many things, so seeing Jacob in wolf form was probably nothing compared to some other things shes seen.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

-I think she should have been more worried about the safety of her boyfriend and his family than her friend. In that sense, she should feel relieved that the Cullens would have back-up.

-Seth made sense since he was at the bbq. Leah was surprising since she's the 1st and only girl.

-I thought the werewolves might end up fighting the vampires since they seem to have worse tempers and a stronger dislike for vampires. The werewolves also had less reason to fight for Bella. Although Jacob loved her, he was not her boyfriend and some of the other werewolves seemed to resent her.

-I was interested in Jasper's story. I thought it was really cute when he practiced with Alice.

-No, if she's not scared of a vampire, why should she be scared of a werewolf?

One question no one asked (not sure if it's legal to add questions, so my apologies if it's a problem):
6. What do you think Alice saw Bella doing? Alice told Bella if her plan became anymore defined, she would tell Edward?
I wondered about this. She could have seen Bella trying to run off to Seattle to sacrifice herself so that the people she loved wouldn't have to fight. She could have seen Bella trying to be in the clearing to distract the vampires per Jasper's suggestion. Any other thoughts?
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

Yeah, she knows how indestructible vampires are, but doesn't know how the wolves will be in the fight.

I really wasn't sure!

I wasn't sure, but the fact that they were split made sense, I knew they would manage. Jacob and Edward definitely seemed very willing to cooperate for her safety, they both will do anything to keep her safe.

I was quite impressed with him although I wasn't surprised that he would be that good. I knew he would be a good fighter.

I wasn't surprised, because she'd used to that kind of thing. It was kinda like foreshadowing that he's supposed to be just her friend because like a dog is a "man's best friend" I don't know that's what I got.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

well yeah, i mean Bella was scared so it makes sense that she was scared for the people fighting for her.

i dont know. i was like, maybe characters we've heard about. for some reason, i thought Billy and Emily. totally unreasonable but yeah.

i didnt know how it would work but i knew it would work. it think that they both love Bella and want to protect her so it would help them put aside their differences for her safety.

i was thinking 'jasper is awesome he should have his own series' lol. no, i was happy that jasper finally had a bigger part in the books :} i love jasper he's my favorite favorite character. edward who? lol seriously i get excited and jump and squeal 'jasper!' every time something comes up with jasper

i knew she would still like him. but it surprised me that she seemed to like him more in his wolf form. maybe its because it reminded her of "her" jacob.

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Do you feel Bella’s fears for Jacob and the pack being involved in the fight are reasonable? I think somewhat. She's not aware of what the wolves are capable of doing & fending for themselves.

2. The wolf pack has grown in number. Who did you suspect the new werewolves were? I just figured more kids from La Push who hadn't been introduced.

3. How did you think the wolves and vampires would manage to work together? What about Jacob and Edward’s cooperation for Bella’s safety? I wasn't sure how but I figured they would find a way because they both had the same objective.

4. What were you thinking as you read about Jasper’s exercises with his siblings? It was neat to read about and understand how they fight.

5. What did you predict Bella’s reaction would be to Jacob in wolf form? Were you surprised? I wasn't surprised she doesn't seemed phased by any of this supernatural stuff.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson