Chapter 13 ~ Killer

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Killer

Post by missp »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
Bella's internal conflict is with the fact that she believes Jacob is a murderer, and she cannot justify remaining friends with a killer; yet, she can't justify turning her back on him either. This conflict is resolved when she speaks to Jacob and he sets the record straight. Bella realizes that just as she loves Edward for who he is, she also loves Jacob for who he is...WHAT he is doesn't matter. Jacob's internal conflict stems from fear of rejection. He is afraid that Bella will not want to remain friends now that she knows he is a werewolf. His love for her makes it very hard for him to bear the thought of not having her in his life. The conflict is resolved when Bella assures him that it doesn't matter to her what he is. The external conflict between Bella and Jacob is more difficult to resolve. Jacob is in love with Bella and wants her to return that love. Bella, although not consciously aware of it yet, has a huge sexual attraction to Jacob and is beginning to have stronger feelings for him than she is prepared to face. Although she makes it very clear that all she wants is friendship, Bella still feels guilty because she knows on some level even their friendship encourages Jacob's feelings. So, this conflict is not actually resolved for quite some time...not until BD. As for the conflict between Jacob and Alice...there is none until around chapter 17 or 18.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?
Bella begins the chapter feeling anger for Jacob's "choice" to kill. She also feels hurt over the possibility of ending the friendship. When she finds out he isn't a murderer, she is relieved. By the end of the chapter, she is feeling crippling fear knowing that Victoria has been stalking her.
Jacob's emotions range from fear over what Bella will say to him when she ends their friendship, to rage over what she does say when she accuses him of being a killer, to relief when she tells him she doesn't care if he is a werewolf.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?
I imagine it feels very intrusive. They may even feel a little violated in some respects. Think about the private thoughts you have at any given time of the day. Would you want your family, your friends, your boyfriend/girlfriend knowing all these thoughts? I would spend most of my day in horrid embarrassment! :oops:

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?
It had to be terrifying to go from being a normal teenage boy one minute to a huge enraged werewolf the next! He was probably afraid the change would be permanent. And then, his head was filled with all the voices! And he was seeing stuff from the other werewolves that he would rather not be seeing. Remember, Jacob had never believed the Quiluete legends up to that point. The fact that they were real, and he was a part of them must have been very frightening.
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
I don't think Bellas conflit will ever go away Edward leaving is something she'll always have to deal with. Jake is good i guess. Things between Bella and Jake are always gonna be just a little bit weird. And as for Alice and Jacob I'm not quite sure.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?
I think Bella is hurt about the thought about losing another person close to her, Jake is probabaly also hurt cause he thinks he's in love with Bella.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?
I bet he feels violated and kinda embarised.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?
He didn't know it was a part of him, he proabably has no idea how to deal with it he's scared and doesn't really want this part of his life.
**Kathryn**
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i think all of those except for the jacob alice one. bella and jacob make a good pair cause they cant hold grudges aganist each other for long. they love each other and thats it. with jacob and alice its basicly vampire vs. werewolf... i dont think thats gonna happen anytime soon...

love is a roller coaster... lets leave it at that!

i would freak out... all your serets.. gone!! you kinda need secrets and a place to be yourself! come to think of it... thats actually more scary than embarrasing!... if you ask me!

um, HELLO! your turning into a wolf! who wouldnt be freaked out???
Betting on Alice.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

Bella thinks Jake's a monster, or something like that. It's resolved when they talk. Jacob thinks Bella is going to be scared of him, and that she's in danger if he's around. It is resolved when they talk, too. Their conflict is that Jake's in love with Bella. Bella's not in love with Jake. Or at least she doesn't know, yet. And she also feels like she's betraying Edward, that's what stops her all the time. And, Jake and Alice's conflict? Alice is not even in this chapter.

Well I'm sure they were both anxious. And there was also a misunderstanding. But when everything was clear, the were bfs again. It was cute.

Well, it could be very annoying. I mean, I'm so glad Edward can't read Bella's mind. Not because her mind is bad or anything, but because I wouldn't like that for me. Having someone to know what you're thinking all the time? No, thanks. I mean, that's why we have our mind, don't we? It's private!

She also describes why it was so difficult to him.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Bella realizes the power of love. One her and Jacob figure out he's not the killer.. their conflict is resolved and Jacob and Alice's conflict is still very much unresolved.. because they don't have one yet ;) (or rather,.. other than the fact that she's a vampire)

Jacob's afraid of rejection from Bella and angry when they have that very confusing conversation. Bella is torn at the beginning. She loves Jacob and that won't change but she doesn't like the killing. After that is all figured out,.. Bella's dealing with the fear of Victoria and the pain of Edward

I'm sure it brings them very close very quickly.. Nobody thinks alike so I imagine hearing what other people think could be very emotional and irritating.

Mental.. I imagine changing into a werewolf would be horible and terrifying. You're human and then the next thing you know you're a werewolf.. what's scarier?
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Alice? Not in this chapter, right? Bella and Jacob resolve their internal conflicts and their conflict with each other by talking.

They're both hurt about knowing losing the other. They don't want to lose each other. Jake is mad because he thinks Bella is afraid of him being a werewolf and Bella is hurt because she thinks her best friend is a murderer. It all changes when they understand each other.

I think it must be annoying. It must be really frustrating to have everyone know your thoughts.

You're just a human and all of a sudden you turn into a big wolf. It must be terrifying!
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Ooh, this is difficult... I can't say that I remember all of the details enough to know... Also, I don't think that Alice was in this chapter, not yet.

It started out pretty tense... Bella was furious with Jacob when she thought that his pack was responsible for all the murders. But she quickly drops that fury when she finds out that it wasn't the case at all. However, it was still pretty tense when they both realized who was responsible for it...

Very awkward, I think. It would be pretty hard to keep secrets like that. However, it does have its benefits, like when they're hunting vampires. I think it's mostly a double-edged sword for them.

Because emotional pain can be just as horrible and terrifying as physical pain.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I don't know that too many of them are resolved, in this chapter anyway. Bella's still battling internally over Jacob. Even after Alice comes back, she still believes it doesn't mean anything's changed with Edward. Jacob's battling too, over what he is. I don't think there's any real conflict between Jacob and Alice in this chapter. She's not even back yet.

Jacob is worried that Bella will hate him because he's a werewolf. Bella's worried because she thinks he's killing people. They are both relieved to discover that neither of these things are true.

I'm sure it is very difficult. That's a pretty stupid question, quite frankly.

Because it was so unexpected and uncontrollable, also because it meant he could not be with Bella, and he probably worried about what she'd think of it, not that he could tell her.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

just read this chapter and there is no conflict with Jacob and Alice yet. I think the conflict between Bella and Jacob ignoring her has been resolved when he went to her room to drop hints of what was going on and what he is.

They change because she finally know what has been going on with Jacob. She also learns that he and his pack are not killing the hikers. So I guess you can say her emotions are she is relieved to understand that.

I would not like that what so ever especially if I don't get along with someone. They have no privacy and not everyone wants to share everything.

He doesn't know what to expect so it would be horrifying the first time. Also to learn that you have to share your thoughts with others in the pack is a horrible wolf trait.
Banner by TammyAZ