Chapter 39: The Happily Ever After

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 39: The Happily Ever After

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Such thoughtful posts! I'm honored to throw in MHO.
Do you think Edward no longer seems himself as the “monster”? Has he resolved his own personal demons like Nahuel? Why or why not?
I don't think he will ever get totally over this. Personality frozen at the time of transformation, and then 1917 had really, really different ideas about morality than 2010, even if you were a Chicago boy from an upper-class family. But I think it has gotten better for the same reasons others have pointed out: loving Bella and sacraficing for her, loving his daughter, overcoming his huge jealousy of Jacob, making new friends like Charlie, Jacob, Seth, protecting other humans and doing nice things for them; and then also being loved by these people, especially by non-vampires. So he may not completely get over this, but now, whenever he thinks of himself as a monster, he has all these reasons to think that maybe he's not a monster. And then, how could he ever think that Bella would not go to heaven, vampire or not?
What do you think Edward means when he says “When will you ever see yourself clearly?” to Bella? He has said this before in Twilight. Has the meaning changed between from the first book to the last book?
Nope, don't think it's changed much at all. Bella does not see herself as others see her, and not at all the way Edward sees her. She fails to appreciate her positive qualities - she doesn't see her bravery at all, comparing herself to supernatural creatures; she thinks of her endurance and persistance as merely the ability to survive. She sees inner conviction as stubbornness (of course, she's pretty stubborn, too). Even in Twilight, it's not just about physical qualities. Don't think it will change - again, frozen personalities.
Why does Edward seem so surprised to “hear” Bella from the first time considering they both have participated in the same conflicts from the beginning of the saga?
I think he's surprised by the fact of hearing her, not the content. He has really gotten used to not being able to hear her and believing that she does not want him to hear her. To hear her human memories is really sweet; to hear her vampire memories is reassuring, that she really is happy; to hear her memories of their "private time" ... well I'm not surprised he kissed her! Can't say more -- PG site ....
Are you satisfied with the happy ending to Bella and Edward’s story? Why or why not?
I'm really happy for them. I think it is realistically (within the Twilight world) done, even the anticlimatic confrontation -- diplomatic negotiation between reasonable, strong parties. But the anticlimatic confrontation leaves me without a feeling of catharsis and resolution -- you know that Aro's going to keep trying to acquire some Cullen. And I feel like Bella and Edward are riding off into the sunset and leaving me behind, so lately I've been very sad and discouraged when I finish BD (7 read-throughs so far). I don't want a different ending for them -- I guess I just want to think they might respond to my emails.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
tatanna456
Settled in Forks

Post by tatanna456 »

1. Do you think Edward no longer seems himself as the “monster”? Has he resolved his own personal demons like Nahuel? Why or why not?
I think that edward now sees himself as what he has always wanted to be a loving, caring, family-man. And I believe that he is finally content with who he is and that he is finally happy.
2. What do you think Edward means when he says “When will you ever see yourself clearly?” to Bella? He has said this before in Twilight. Has the meaning changed between from the first book to the last book?
I think that bella still sees herself the same as before and he is just waiting for the day when she finally realizes that she is anything but ordinary. I believe it is the same meaning but there is a whole lot more behind it now.
3. Why does Edward seem so surprised to “hear” Bella from the first time considering they both have participated in the same conflicts from the beginning of the saga?
I think he is suprised because it became a lost cause for him to hear her thoughts. When she was finally able to put her shield down I think that he just saw her in a whole different way because he was able to understand her on a whole new level.
4. Are you satisfied with the happy ending to Bella and Edward’s story? Why or why not?

I am very happy with the way the book ended. But I feel like it bit me and I just cant get enough of it and I find myself wanting more and more because it was just such an intense relationship.
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jeakat »

1. Do you think Edward no longer seems himself as the “monster”? Has he resolved his own personal demons like Nahuel? Why or why not?

I think he's resolved that issue. I don't think that a vampires seeming inability to change plays a part here. When Edward was turned he didn't view himself as a monster. It was only after his change that he started thinking that way. He doesn't think he deserves happiness or good fortune and I strongly think that this has changed by the end of BD. Bella is his initial 'salvation'. She opens up his eyes to the possiblility that he is good and he's not a monster. However, I don't think he would've ever accepted that if it wasn't for Nessie. Nessie shows him that. I believe that Edward's reasoning at the end of BD is "If I'm such a monster, how can I have created something so wonderful?" If it weren't for Nessie, Edward would've constantly second guessed his decision to change Bella, even when Bella shows him she's happy.

2. What do you think Edward means when he says “When will you ever see yourself clearly?” to Bella? He has said this before in Twilight. Has the meaning changed between from the first book to the last book?

Edward is talking about Bella's own self-worth and how she feels about herself. Edward views her as this amazing, beautiful creature and can't understand why Bella can't see that in herself. The meaning doesn't change at all for me. To Edward, she's always been amazing, kind, beautiful and strong, even before becoming a vampire and scaring off the Volturi.

3. Why does Edward seem so surprised to “hear” Bella from the first time considering they both have participated in the same conflicts from the beginning of the saga?

I think it's a combination of two things. One, I don't think he ever really believed that Bella's human emotions compared to his vampiric ones. I think he accepts her feelings are as strong as his once she's been turned, but I don't think he ever contemplated that how she felt as a human would ever come close.

Secondly, I think he's surprised just because he gets to see inside her mind. It's something that he's hoped for since the beginning of Twilight. That, of course, evolves from him being annoyed he can't hear her initially, to then becoming frustrated when he can't guess what she's thinking as they get to know each other to then curiousity because he loves her so much. He's always wanted, in some form or another, to be able to hear her, but he accepted that he was never going to to (especially after her change). To suddenly be able to hear her must have been completely overwhelming. Personally, I think Bella could've been thinking about bus timetables and Edward would've had the same reaction, never mind mentally expressing her love for him.

4. Are you satisfied with the happy ending to Bella and Edward’s story? Why or why not?

Overall, yes I am. I actually cried the first time I read those last two pages. However, I wish that Bella would've learned some more life lessons along the way. She learns a lot, but I think the way she treated certain characters in the books (Edward and Jacob, especially) was something she should've learned was wrong. At the end of Eclipse Bella claims she could see where she went wrong, but it doesn't change her actions in BD. Part of being an adult is learning when to put the past in the past and move on, but Bella still clings to things she should really let go of. Her friendship with Jacob during Eclipse, for example. Nessie, of course, solves that, but it would've been nice to see that issue resolved through Bella's own actions (as well as Jacob's, but that's for a different thread!).

Another part of growing up is knowing that in order to get what you want sacrifices have to be made. I don't mind that Bella still has Charlie in her life at the end of BD, because the way it happened was out of her control. However, she still phoned Charlie while she was pregnant, still hoping to have a relationship with him after her transformation, which I think was wrong. Before Eclipse, Bella was determined to become a vampire without ever considering what she was giving up. By the end of Eclipse she's aware that she's going to have to give up a normal life, and she still chooses Edward. By contacting Charlie, she's refusing to aknowledge the sacrifices she has to make, which sullies the whole point of Eclipse and the forced love triangle.

So yes, I'm happy about where Bella and Edward ended up as a couple. But I'm not too pleased about how Bella turned out getting everything she ever wanted with little consideration of others. I wouldn't have minded her getting everything she wanted if she had at least thought about others (i.e. Charlie's feeligns if she had've died after she kept phoning him).
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think he is reconciled to himself now. Seeing Nahuel's assessment of him was probably the final nail in the "monster" coffin (no pun intended) for him. Bella's response to her new life, and Renesmee's beautiful nature had finally helped him to see himself for what he really was.

He knows that she doesn't think she is anything special. He has always thought she was. Now he has definite proof, and she still won't believe it.

I think he probably gave up on ever being able to do that.

Yes, I thought it was very satisfying. I love a happy ending.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I don't think he would have resolved all of them -yet-. I think he's satisfied with Bella being happy though, so that makes him know he did the right thing by changing her.

No, I don't think the meaning has changed. I think he still means that she doesn't have a good/true idea about herself.

He -finally- gets to hear what she thinks. That would be a shock if you never could.

Yes, yes! I loved the way it ended!
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I don't think he would have resolved all of them -yet-. I think he's satisfied with Bella being happy though, so that makes him know he did the right thing by changing her.

No, I don't think the meaning has changed. I think he still means that she doesn't have a good/true idea about herself.

He -finally- gets to hear what she thinks. That would be a shock if you never could.

Yes, yes! I loved the way it ended!
jennaentrust
Settled in Forks

Post by jennaentrust »

I think Edward is no longer a monster because he has a soul and love for Bella
Visit Entrust Cash Advance for creative small business financing methods.
jennaentrust
Settled in Forks

Post by jennaentrust »

Is there really a happy ever after for these characters though?
Visit Entrust Cash Advance for creative small business financing methods.
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

I think Bella's faith in him has finally paid off, even though it took time! There are so many layers of why he thinks he is a monster, I think in the end he has finally realized that trusting his heart was the right thing to do. The way Bella adapts to the vampire way of life certainly gives him great comfort. I think he will always carry a little guilt over the suffering everyone went through to get to the happy ending, but has finally accepted that he is a good person.
The fact that Bella never perceives herself as anything special, even when she completely saves the day. It's that humility and unselfishness that originally makes Edward fall in love with her, as she is very unique to any other human he has ever come across. The meaning hasn't changed at all, that is the point, she is still the same person even when she is a mega powerful vampire!
A few reasons: The most obvious being that he does not know she can do this trick with her shield yet, the second being that until then he really does not believe it's possible for Bella to love him as much as he loves her. In this instance he can see and truly believe the magnitude of her feelings. Also, I think to a certain extent that Bella has allowed this, because he knows how much Bella has always been glad of the fact that he can't read her mind. (P.S I love this part of the book, it literally makes me melt!)
Yes, undoubtedly satisfied. It's what I wanted from the start, for them to get everything they wanted and they did!
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

jennaentrust wrote:Is there really a happy ever after for these characters though?
I think so! No doubt, if the saga had continued, they would have faced more trials and tribulations, but at the end of the day, in Edward's words (am paraphrasing now), they got every thing they wanted and every thing they didn't dare to want.