Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by Tornado »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
Nope. I regularly imagine Edward coming with me to a jewellry store and buying me everything I look at for more than two seconds. It's a wonderful little fantasy.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
I think he was justified. He's concerned for Jacob's safety. He doesn't have all the details.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
I thought it was really funny the way Charlie reacted. And I loved Renee's reaction as well. It was so funny, after all the terror Bella had had over telling her.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I wasn't nervous. Yes, I did think Jacob would come. I was hoping he would behave himself.
Nora
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Nora »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I think I wouldn't have been as reluctant . If it makes Edward happy to give presents to the one he loves, then I think it shouldn't make Bella so uncomfortable . He just shows his love to her that way .
2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
I think he was, because he didn't know that Jacob is a wolf and take care of himself . He was just worried . Though when he saw that Billy wasn't concerned, then he could've taken it more easily .
3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
I think he acted well, at least he din't scream . It must of been hard for him and he reacted well to the news . I wasn't surprised by the way Renee acted . I know Bella thought that she was going to freak, but Renee always seemed so loving and caring, and she letted Bella diside what was best for her, so I wasn't surprised .
4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I was really excited about the wedding! I thought that although it would be hard for him, Jacob would show up, because Bella was his best friend and he knew that Bella wanted him there.
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

It's been so long sense I have posted in any of these threads and I cannot remember if I have. So I will post and who knows, if I have posted, my answers may have changed.

With how my personality is, I definitly would have. The idea of someone spending THAT much money on me is mind boggling. I just can fathom it.

Yes I do. Charlie has known Jacob sense before Jacob was born. Charlie is Billy's best friend. He has EVERY right to be concerned. I would be if my best friend's son/daughter went missing. Just because he is the Cheif, does not mean he cannot be concernd for Jacob's welfare.

I think he reacted like I thought he would. He did better than most parents would have in his situation I think. Renee's reaction suprised me though. Of all people, I would have thought she would have been very upset at Bella. I thought she would have tried her best to convince Bella to put off the wedding for a few years. I think she loved Edward FOR Bella, just not the thought of them getting married so 'young'.

I was not nervous at all. I was looking forward to it, and got disapointed actually I was hoping the vows would have been included. I thought Jacob might show up, but wasn't sure.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

I would have been reluctant only because i cannot drive fast cars! The description of Bella barely having to push the accelerator to go at 60mph made me shudder. Plus, i'm not much of a car person, so even if Edward had given me an expensive car, i probably wouldn't even know what make it is!

Of course he was justified! Billy didn't tell him to stop, so he obviously didn't mind. I think a part of him was also desperate to hear any news of his son's whereabouts. Plus, Charlie's a cop, and he would just go with his instincts. He's not the kind of man who would just sit back and do nothing.

:lol:

I was nervous for Bella. I found myself really hoping that Bella wouldn't end up tripping down the aisle and end up in the A&E! I wasn't sure whether Jacob would show, but i did expect to see the Volturi, or at least a representative of theirs, check in, to see how Bella was progressing.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
-Oh geeze..if my fiancee at the time bought me something that expensive, it'd be hard for me to accept it as well..even if I understood the reasons behind it and I knew he had lots of money. It's just awkward..I'd feel like a gold digger.

-Well, even though he doesn't have jurisdiction it doesn't mean that he isn't compassionate and wanting to try and do what he can to help. Charlie and Billy have disagreed before, but Billy is still his best friend and Jacob is his son and one of Bella's closest friends so Charlie wants to try and help.

I think he reacted the way most fathers do, especially if they're very protective of their daughters. Renee took it in a good motherly way as well..most Moms love helping out with wedding plans.

-Well, I knew it would probably be grand (again, this is a re-read), because Alice was allowed to plan and execute the whole thing. I remember hoping Jacob would show, just because he's a nice guy, but understanding why he probably wouldn't.
Cherica1
Settled in Forks

Post by Cherica1 »

Yes. I would take it as an insult that he'd think I would need a bullet-proof car to drive in.

He knew that Jacob was missing, and that was the only way he could think of to help Billy find him. It was good of him to do this, it means that he cares about Billy and about Jacob.

The way Renee reacted was hilarious! It was great that she was not against the wedding. Charlie, however, irritated me. I know he was annoyed about the wedding, but he really should not have been so sullen and grumpy. He should try and be happy for Bella.

I wasn't really nervous. I thought Jacob would show up at some point.
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

No. Unlike Bella, if I had a richer-than-rich boyfriend who wanted to buy me a car I'd be over the moon!

He was definitely justified, but I was surprised Billy and/or the wolves hadn't come up with an explanation to fob him off, instead of letting him stew about it.

I thought Charlie was going to make more trouble than he did, actually, and Renee too. Going in I was expecting Bella and Edward to spend a big part of the book trying to convince her parents to be okay with the wedding.

Yes. I thought the wedding would be the ending of the book, and was sure something was going to happen to delay it.