Chapter 26: Shiny

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 26: Shiny

Post by Alphie »

Many thanks to LadyDi for her help on this one!

1) What do you think about Charlie and Bella’s decision to keep information secret from Renee? Which information do you think they will share and which information do you think they will hide? What do you think Renee’s reaction will be?

2) How are the activities that the Cullens are described as doing on page 516 indicative of their personalities?

3) What challenge might you have suggested to Emmett if you were Bella? What might you have decided would happen if you won or lost?

4) Bella states that it was “like I had been born to be a vampire”. How do you feel about that statement? Is she right?
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 26: Shiny

Post by sazykid »

1) What do you think about Charlie and Bella’s decision to keep information secret from Renee? Which information do you think they will share and which information do you think they will hide? What do you think Renee’s reaction will be?
It's probably best that Renee have as little information as possible because she easily accepts information (like in Eclipse when she questions Bella and Edward's relationship). Renee would just worry and do something that would put Bella and the other Cullens in danger...like actually call the CDC (imagine what would happen if they actually put Bella in a hospital). They will probably tell Renee about Nessie because she is an important part of Bella's life, but they will probably end up telling her the same thing that they told Charlie. It is better that Renee thinks Nessie is Edward's niece because there won't be questions. Renee will also need to know that Bella has changed some physically. Renee will probably be more willing to accept these stories than Charlie was so she won't be too upset. It would probably be best to not tell Renee that Bella is more like Esme than Renee now, and that Nessie is growing and changing at an incredible rate.

2) How are the activities that the Cullens are described as doing on page 516 indicative of their personalities?
Edward puts his emotions into music so naturally he is playing his piano. Rosalie and Emmett are building a house of cards, this makes sense because they are fun loving and competitive. They would not want the best looking house of cards and neither of them would want to be the ones to knock it down. Alice and Jasper are content so they are happy to just be spending time with each other. Esme puts her heart into everything she does so she is probably going over new ideas for blue prints to make sure everything is perfect while she sketches. I don't remember what Carlisle is doing, but I think he was reading, which is exactly what he would be doing. He is the leader and so he is prepared in every way and is usually always knowledgeable.

3) What challenge might you have suggested to Emmett if you were Bella? What might you have decided would happen if you won or lost?
Bella and Emmett get along and like each other so I like the way this turned out. Emmett's comments were the only thing that bothered Bella at that time so if she won he should stop. But, I think it was only fair that if she lost his comments would get worse.

4) Bella states that it was “like I had been born to be a vampire”. How do you feel about that statement? Is she right?
I don't see anything wrong with her statement. Bella is happier than she has ever been and she is good at things she was barely able to accomplish before so I do think she is right.
Last edited by sazykid on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19nomad90
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by 19nomad90 »

I think they'll share as little information as possible. I think Renee is a person who wouldn't settle for anything less than the whole story, unlike Charlie. I think Renee will be worried, but like Charlie, she only wants Bella's happiness. And it's clear Bella is happy with the Cullens, so I don't think they will have to share too much with Renee to keep her happy.

Do you mean 478? :? :lol: Well I think Jasper and Alice just lounging on the bottom of the staircase with her head in his lap indicate that they are the type of people who don't need to entertain each other. They are simply happy just to be in the other's company. Carlisle with the book in his lap reflects his incredible intelligence; he wishes to fill his spare moments by increasing his knowledge. Esme sketching on her notepad mirrors her creativity. I also think the fact that she hums to herself shows her humility. She is not showing off her voice to impress people, she does it absent mindedly, which is also an indication of her motherliness; humming is a stereotypical activity of most mothers. I think the cards are indicative of Rosalie and Emmett in the word "monumental" that is used to describe the house of cards. Emmett likes to be the best at things, and Rosalie enjoys being admired. Therefore an ordinary house of cards would suit neither of them, they'd feel the need to go all out to impress and show off their skills. Edward playing the piano softly is perhaps his way of helping keep Bella calm, because he knows she enjoys listening to him play.

I think the arm wrestling was a good idea. I would have asked for a bit more than to just stop the innuendo's. I'd probably force him to do my bidding for a century or two :lol:

Favourite werewolf? Sorry Jake, I'm TEAM SETH all the way!!
Hyvanna

Post by Hyvanna »

) What do you think about Charlie and Bella’s decision to keep information secret from Renee? Which information do you think they will share and which information do you think they will hide? What do you think Renee’s reaction will be?

As long as she just kept in contack thro E-mail makein up sxcuses not to vist then doesn't matter what info is shared. If they vist they will need to explain things for two verry big reasons, First Bella's looks and how she feels to other humans Renee would want to hug Bella and Nessie.. the second would be Nessie has Bella's eyes Come On! Carlie noticed you dont think Mamma wouldn't. Renee is to me a person that sees a lot Plastic Surgery would not be and exceptable excuses I think Renee woul be ok with the info but she i dont think would share the whole truth with Phill.

Bella holdin Nessie and enjoying the peace of the family..Reflexs that she cares deeply for everyone around her if they are happy she is happy..Selfless Mothering.
Jasper and Alice loungin on steps with his head in her lap..Shows they are peacefull and enjoy eatchothers company destraction free and at same time enjoying the peacefullness around them.
Esme humming an sketching ...sketching is her passion an what she sketchs is house plans for everyone to enjoy not only her but the whole family she is all about family the Mother the Heart the Glue..and to humm while doin that adds that extra tuch of love and goes along with Edward playin the Piano who him self is pourin his heart-n-soul into the music that comes out. Edward is verry giveing thro his music..gives peace a voice.
Carlisle with a fat book he enjoys to read eather to find new thing or to refresh the past learned things or to relax an enjoy a good story. He is peacefull and knowadgeble the Backbone. (Spine) hehe
Emmet and Roslie and there bigg cardhouse.. they like out doing everyone and everything weather its looks or strenght. card house NO NO monumental size cardhouse.. sweet cottage OH! heck NO! Victorian Mansion..See me! ..Fear me!..Love me!
Jacob in the refrigater YES he is a honnary Cullin now :) hunger for food but also life.

I agree with Sazykid but would begg Emmett if lost not to around Charlie.

Bella WAS born to be a Vampire So TRUE, Seventeen . Eighteen years of trippin over air, gotta give the poor girl a brake :oops:
Last edited by Hyvanna on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i think they would be surprised. i mean, we already had that happen when they got married, so you never know. i think they should have told her.

well, i guess when your a vampire even thing intensifies, and i guess that includes personality. rosalie flipping her hair....come on... that pure classic! ;)

arm wrestling for sure. as for what happens afterwards, i think we all agree with sazykid!!!

maybe, fate works in weird ways. as for me, thats my life's motto! :lol:
Betting on Alice.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) What do you think about Charlie and Bella’s decision to keep information secret from Renee? Which information do you think they will share and which information do you think they will hide? What do you think Renee’s reaction will be? I think for now it's good to keep as much as possible secret from Renee, she's in Florida. They'll probably tel her about Renesmee but give the same story about her being Edward's niece. But other than tha I think that's probably all. She'l probably be told more as time goes on & needs to know.

2) How are the activities that the Cullens are described as doing on page 516 indicative of their personalities? Well the activities are something that they would do normally and fit in with who they are.

3) What challenge might you have suggested to Emmett if you were Bella? What might you have decided would happen if you won or lost? I honestly have no idea what I would challenge Emmett to, the arm wrestle was a good one. And knowing Bella the leave off the sex jokes was a good one.

4) Bella states that it was “like I had been born to be a vampire”. How do you feel about that statement? Is she right? I kind of feel that she is right. She is not having too hard a time adjusting, she loves the way it feels to run and hunt, and now she's not clumsy anymore and won't go red anymore (this would be a benefit. unfortunately I have the same problem & I hate it!)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think they should keep as much from Renee as they possibly can. She is intuitive in a way, but she is also easily swayed. So I think it would be possible to keep her in the dark. She's in Florida, and the Cullens will never move anywhere near there. So if the mostly keep in contact by e-mail and phone, it should be fine. I think they will tell her about Nessie, introduce her as Edward relative and tell Renee that they have adopted her. But I doubt that they will let them meet.

I don't remember what they were doing...

I'm not sure I would have had the guts to challenge Emmett...Vampire or not..It would just spur him on even more if she lost :)

Well, I think Bella was born to be with Edward. They were destined to be together. And in order for that to happen, she had to join him. She was clearly an excellent vampire, but I think that has just as much to with the fact that she really wanted it and she was ready. She knew a lot of what to expect as a newborn. So I think it is Edward that is the key here. She was meant to be with him.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

They will probably let Renee know they adopted Renesmee,.. ehh but a lot of it will be kept from her. Bella probably wont' see her for quite awhile.

Jasper and Alice are always so intimate emotionally,.. Rose and Emmett are physical,.. Carlisle being knowledgable,.. Esme seeing beauty/making it and Edward being musical :)

Arm wrestling was pretty perfect. Showing who's stronger without too much physical.

Yes,.. she fits in perfect right away. It was destined to happen and thats why it did.
jonilee73
Settled in Forks

Post by jonilee73 »

I think that they made the right decision to keep the information from Renee. They may mention that Bella has gone through some changes and I hope they will mention Renesmee but other than that I think she would have to see the rest, like Charlie, to fully understand it.
Seeing as Renee is always surprisingly understanding about things, I don't think she would be too worried, or panicky. She had confronted Bella before that there was something off about Edward and Bella had downplayed it by asking her mother if she was reading mystery novels again, but I think that proves that Renee is already on to them.

Seeing as Jacob was one of two people that could eat, it is not surprising that he is in the fridge. Carlisle is the most educated out of all of them, so him reading is exactly what I would imagine him doing, Edward is the best musician, so him playing the piano is just like him, as is Esme sketching. The only ones I didn't understand where Alice and Jasper and Emmett and Rosalie.
I may have tried to race him. She is almost as fast as Edward and Edward is faster than Emmett so there was still a chance she would win. I would have kept the stakes the same though.
I have had a feeling throughout the whole series that she was born to be a vampire. There were hints all through the books. None that I can think of right now (of course) but I agree to that statement very much.
Forbidden to remember, terrifed to forget
You compare one small tree to the entire forest.

Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

They'll share information about Renesmee, but they'll hide information about Renesmee's origins and their vampirism. Renee will probably be suspicious when she finds out -- she was already very perceptive about the Cullens, so she'll know something's up.

I don't remember that scene. ^^;;; Sorry!

How about thumb wrestling? XD If I lose, no harm done, I was never that good at it anyway. If he loses, nothing happens either.

I definitely agree with her, and for the reasons she stated.