Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cymbrelynn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by Cymbrelynn »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I knew there was a chance that she would be, but I didn't think so. I suppose I put a lot of trust in Edward that it pretty much wouldn't be possible. I love Edward a little too much sometimes. He's not perfect, I need to remind myself.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
I think so. He loves Bella more than life itself. He hates his vampiric nature and how it keeps him apart from Bella. Any even insignificant reminder of how much of a danger he is upsets Edward. And here he has bruised her all over just by being what he is. Edward isn't human but that doesn't mean he is perfect. I would be more concerned if he wasn't concerned over Bella.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I think Edward would always have been generous to Bella no matter what. If it wasn't in Edward's personality to be inclined to be generous he wouldn't be.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?

I didn't. Edward is very stubborn about what he thinks is best/right. I really hoped he would, though! I'm so happy for them.
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? I expected that outcome pretty much...except for Edward being so down on himself, but I guess I should've been expecting that one. :roll:

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” For a while yes, but after she told him so many times that it didn't matter, I'd hoped he would let it go.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? I think that Edward is generous to Bella because he loves her. It's easy for him to give things to her, so I think it's more of his love for her than anything else.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself? I was flipping around about that the whole time, wondering if he would succumb to Bella's enticements.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
irunwithvampires
Settled in Forks

Post by irunwithvampires »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?

I was shocked when Edward told Bella to look down at herself, and she realized she was covered in bruises. I know that it was a tricky situation and it was going to take a lot for Edward not to hurt her, but since he's always had the capability of hurting Bella with the slightest twitch of his fingers, and he's never done that...I just didn't think this would happen. I liked the shock I felt while I was reading it though.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

Well...sure. I really get both their points though. More of Edward's though. Bella has always gotten a bit on my nerves on how she acts so incredbily unselfish sometimes, and she didn't really understand Edward's predicament...telling Edward that they knew it was going to be tricky. Edward was justified, I suppose. I don't think any of us can even fathom what Edward was going through at that moment.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?

Little bit of both. I don't really think it's that much of a learned behavoir, but he does respect Carlisle a lot and I'm sure he picked up some things from him. Both of them are incredibly generous people, and Esme and Bella are lucky girls.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?

Nope. Just the way Edward always holds firm to some of his promises, and the way he spoke with conviction when he told Bella that he would not make love with her until she was changed...yeah, I thought he was going to hold himself to that. But then when Bella finally cracked him, that didn't surprise me much either. Because Bella has a tendency to do that to him, and he couldn't resist her heartbreaking tears and her unexpected attack...haha.
dragonrider713
Wandering Through Town

Post by dragonrider713 »

I actually thought she wouldn't be hurt at all. I dunno why, but that's what I thought.

I definitely think he was justified. I think she needed to know how much what happened hurt him, even if it was out of his control.

It probably is. I mean, he's watched Carlisle, Emmett and Jasper for all those years and probably picked up how generous they are.

Yes, I did.
SuperVixen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by SuperVixen »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? I was expecting there were going to be some problems but never anything too horrible. I was really scared though when Bella realized she was pregnant.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” I think he was justified because he truely believed he hurt her and while she slept was tortured by his thoughts and the apprearance of the bruises.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? I think its great that he and most of the Cullens are so generous. If you have it, why not share it?

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself? I did not expect him to falter at all. He's very firm when he decides something however I didn't take into account the skill that Bella has at disarming him. I love that about her.
Nothing said Happy Valentine’s Day like a big shiny &%@* unicorn
~*teamswitzerland*~
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ~*teamswitzerland*~ »

Well, I know that by this point, we were supposed to know that Edward was likely to seriously hurt Bella when they made love (see: Jacob's reaction at Bella's wedding reception), but I actually forgot about that, so when Edward was disgusted with himself, before we found out about Bella's bruises, i had no idea what he was upset about. So basically, I didn't expect her to be hurt at all.

I think that it was definitely his intention to sour her mood, because he didn't want her to want to make love with him anymore, so he figured he would just get her out of 'the mood'. It made me, as a reader, understand that he was seriously upset with himself for allowing himself to hurt her so much.

I think that it might be a learned behaviour, but not in the context that I think this question is implying. I don't think he had to learn this behaviour while he was a vampire, but rather, he was brought up in his human life to be a perfect gentleman. That's just what the early 1900's were like. Also, of course he is a gentleman to Bella because he cares about her and her safety more than anything else in the world, so of course he is not going to be rude or a jerk to her.

Not at all. I always thought that Edward was very stubborn once he made a choice about something that concerned Bella's safety (see: New Moon). Of course, Bella has been able to seduce him before... (he was supposed to be very angry with her in Eclipse, when he came back from hunting and Bella was also supposed to be angry enough with him that her wrath would put grizzlies to shame; Bella ended up kissing him and they both forgot why they were angry in the first place)
Taylor Lautner. (drool.) That is all. :)
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

honestly i thought she wouldnt have been hurt at all. but it made me happy that she wasnt hurt a lot just a few bruises.

yes actually. it kind of annoyed me that bella was all annoyed because of edward caring for her.

i think that edward has always been caring. just that carlisle made him MORE caring.

duh of course ;}

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

I didn't really know what to expect but THIS outcome was perfect! No broken bones, or crushed skulls, but covered in bruises! It showed me how much Edward really had to reel himself in...and that he still went a teensy bit overboard. :D

Yes, justified. But it started ticking me off (as it did Bella) when he wouldn't let up about it, and then refused to do it again. I mean, come on! What's a couple of bruises?! I thought he did GREAT for his first time!

I'm not sure why this is a question for this chapter but...Yes, it's a learned behavior. I believe he learned it from his parents (Edward and Elizabeth). My opinion? :?: It is amazingly rewarding to ones soul to be generous, in everything.

Yes, because he only wants to make Bella happy and I knew that she would pull out the pouty-faced "Please, Edward" eventually and he would cave...as he always does when Bella wants something. It was Awesome to read about his struggle with it, because he wanted to do it as much as she did but he didn't want to hurt her again. You can just "hear" the aching in his "voice"! pg107
"'I can't, Bella, I can't!' His moan was agonized."
Poor Guy!! :?
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

I wasn't expecting the bruises. It was kind of shocking, We just can imagine how things went wild. :twisted: :lol: But I think it's understanding. Even human couples sometimes get bruises. I don't think it's a big of deal. And I certainly wasn't counting with the murder of the pillows! :lol:

I understand, but he totally freaked out! I was very mad at him. It was a lovely morning, Bella, despite the bruises, wasn't too wounded or incapacitated. He overrreacted - as usual. It's their honeymoon and they should be enjoying it.

I didn't understand this question, sorry. It's been a while since I read the book. :oops:

Hmm, yes. Edward can be stubborn when he wants. If he resisted Bella's blood, I think he could resist her body too, if he didn't stared at her in a bikini or something. Or maybe not. He may he 100 years old, but his body is of a 17 very healthy boy. He could give in eventually.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Alphie wrote:1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I really didn't know what to expect. Part of me thought it would be just fine, part of me thought that Edward was right- he would have an incredibly difficult time controlling himself (he *is* a 100-something-year-old-virgin, after all), and part of me thought "Well if nothing goes wrong, what's the rest of the book going to talk about?" :)

Given what happened, I suppose it was more or less "just right."
Alphie wrote:2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

Completely. If I were in his position (yeah right, huh?) I would have reacted the same way. Think about it- you just hurt the one person in the world you love more than anything- and when she downplays it, you think about all the other times she's downplayed stuff so as not to hurt your feelings. I would have been just as upset.
Alphie wrote:3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I'm going to pull an Edward here and say "yes- and no." Yes, because he's had all this time to learn from Carlisle, who we all know is one of the most compassionate beings around. No, because we also know that when someone is changed into a vampire, their personality remains intact. I believe that Edward was already a generous person to begin with- quite possibly the very gentleman he is now, way back when- and he just learned a bit more from Carlisle to compliment his own tendencies.
Alphie wrote:4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
If I've learned anything from the series, it's that Bella gets her way- and Edward will usually let her have her way. I knew it would be difficult after this chapter, but when it does happen later I was a little disappointed. I thought it would have taken more effort on her part than that. ;)