A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by corinnejca »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

I was surprised by all of things that were discovered, but I think most surprised by the fact that they didn't need to breathe. It made me wonder why they breathed at all. But then I learned that it helped with being a predator, to be able to taste everything in the air. Plus it would probably not be helpful for fitting in with humans if you didn't ever breathe.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

I thought it seemed reasonable, especially since he killed only "bad" humans. I didn't think it was disgusting at all that he killed the bad people. I think it made him more of a superhero.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

Haha, not long at all! I wasn't thinking about it while reading Twilight at all though. He gets one for Bella in Eclipse, when he has Alice kidnap her and keep her hostage. Sigh, that was one of my favorite parts in Eclipse.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

I think he becomes more free with Bella after sharing so much and realizing that she was going to accept just about anything he throws at her. He also realized how happy it made him to share his true self with her, which made him want to share as much as possible!
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
The thing that was most surprising to me was that vampires are so hard to kill, really there is only one way. I knew they were not like the classic vampies, but that was all I had as a reference point, and they seem to be fairly easy to kill with the right tools.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
I was surprised at first, just because he told her. Then I realized that Carlisle was the only one who had never fed on a human. I guess I then agreed with Bella that it was reasonable. His choice to kill only "bad" humans seemed very reasonable also. I thought it showed the depth of Edward's character though when he explained that even killing killers he couldn't escape the morality of taking another's life.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
Ha! Good questions! I guess I just accepted that he had a bed and didn't see him getting one in the future. We don't see that the others have bed's in this part yet either. So I just figured there wasn't going to be a bed. Hey, a couch is fully functional, especially a comfortable couch! Heehee!

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
I think just being with Bella and having all his stuff out in the open really takes a weight off his shoulders. Also feeling the rush of love seems to make him feel a bit euphoric at times. But I definately think it has most to do with being able to share his thoughts, feelings, history and stuff with Bella. He even says in there somewhere that he didn't imagine that telling her (something, I forget specifically what) would feel as good as it did.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

Alphie wrote:1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
1.I was very very surprised by the story. It completely changed my perception of how vampires survive and die.

2.I think it was a good choice only killing the bad.

3. Not long. Haha.

4. He told her many things that she should know so she could be comfortable. Why not?
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Twilove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilove »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?all of it shocked me because before Twilight it was easy to kill a vampire a stake throught the heart and bye bye vampire it was different that they didnt sleep at all that they could go into the sun Stephanie's vampires are so much cooler than any other

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?well its understandable i guess not all of them could be like Carlisle and if he only drank from like murerours than thats one less burdon on the world

it wouldent have taken too long for him to get a bed he would have know sooner or later than Bella would spending a lot of time there and being the only human she needed sleep

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?I think he realized how much he truely loved her and after so much time with her i think the smell of her blood wasnt as irrisistable
EllaMinnowPee
Settled in Forks

Post by EllaMinnowPee »

Alphie wrote:1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

I was most surprised that vampires are very difficult to kill. No need to stick to the usual myth about stakes through the heart or exposure to sunlight, right? I was hoping that there would be more of a description of exactly how he became a vampire and not just killed.

I was a little surprised but like Bella, it seemed reasonable. I am relieved that he only killed "bad" humans and not innocent humans. He's the hero of the story, after all- I wanted to keep liking him.

There are no secrets between them now. He can finally relax and be himself with her. He's anxious to tell her and show her everything.
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

It was the fact that they are very difficult to kill..I have images in my head. Of trying to kill a vampire, and how it doesnt work at all. its weird.

I was kind of like Bella. Its only reasonable to do that at first. The thirst is suppose to be really bad. His choice to kill only the "bad" humans is good. He isnt going around killing people who are good..the bad guys need to be punished. And I think getting killed by a vampire is a good thing. =]

It would have to be while. I mean i dont think he is wanting Bella to be staying the night in a house full of vampires. He probably doesnt want to freak her out.

I just think its the fact that he knows he would never be able to hurt/kill her. It would be hard on him if he even did. They know how they feel about each other too.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
I_love_Bloodsuckers

Post by I_love_Bloodsuckers »

Alphie wrote:1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? The fact that vampires didn't need to breathe kind of caught my attention. It was unique, I liked it. It seemed very interesting, and totally one of a kind.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? I'm with Bella. It's reasonable, I mean he is a vampire, at one point he had to drink for humans, and at least he didn;t drink from inoccent good humans....

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask! Of course! We all know he gets the bed in Eclipse *swoons* so really there's no point in saying 'hmmmm i think in new moon he'll get a bed' most of us already read the series and know it's in Eclipse. Hee hee.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? Probably the kiss, he discovered that being close to Bella isin;t that bad, and he becomes closer to her. <3
-Jen.n
Edward prefers BRUNETTES *Tee-hee*
"How the hell did Mike Newton end up in this conversation?" xP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvHTfza ... re=related
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

Everything about Carlisle's past was surprising to me. It's always seemed so unfair that the best of people - sometimes the very best person - seem to have to go through the most difficult of lives. The fact that they didn't need to breathe made sense, so did the fact that they're hard to kill... but the fact that Carlisle would go through so much to try and make up for something that wasn't his choice, something that he hated to be... well, it was really hard to swallow.

I was only a little surprised. What with his temper almost going out of control in Port Angeles, I guess I was prepared. It seemed reasonable... he was a vigilante! Of course I'm glad he rejoined Carlisle and decided not to kill any humans after all, but for what it's worth, he doesn't deserve all the grief he gives himself about killing criminals.

Well we all know he gets a book in Eclipse. I'm just sorry that the absolutely gorgeous bed didn't get any better use out of it (sorry to sound crude, couldn't help myself....)

It's all in the open... that must be very liberating.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

How hard they were to kill, and Carlisle's self-loathing caught me off gaurd, he hadn't done anything wrong so it seemed strange to me.

I wasn't surprised but at least they were bad humans, it did seem reasonable...get those suckers off the streets :D

Oh you could just about bet that Rosalie and Emmett have a bed so... I figured Edward would get one soon to make Bella comfortable :D

Mind over matter
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

How difficult they are to kill and how much Carlisle hated himself compared with how much he doesn't seem to now.

I was surprised. But at least he wasn't killing the girl walking down the alley, he was saving her.

I didn't think anything of this.

They'd declared themselves, Bella knew everything about him and since he had no more secrets from her, he could really relax around her.