Gen Y ~ The 20 something's thread

Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Re: Gen Y ~ The 20 something's thread

Post by Wingtear »

Obie & Ally
that seriously sounds disgusting. But then again, even having butter on your popcorn (let alone any other topping) is uncommon here. Thank twilight I haven't got any serious cravings! Well, skittles, but that was before too. I actually licked the paper from the bag of sour skittles Lily sent me... :oops:

Becca
... I don't know what to say... why is everything fun so many countries away?

Me rant
... I'm coming up empty here...
We installed pup's car seat yesterday. It was easy, but we had to check how it would fit anyway. It fits both front seat and middle back, which is great for when we might have both granny's in the car... :roll:
Going to the second hand shop to search for a soft carrier (is it called that? it's called "soft lift" here) to have inside the carriage, since we have to leave it in the stairs.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
CappuGirl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by CappuGirl »

I'm getting ridicilously excited everytime Ninna writes something about the stuff she's getting ready for the baby. I miss that! 8-) Almost makes me want to have another one. Crazy! :lol: Well, that and the fact that one other friend just put a 34+ weeks preggo photo of her belly and it was sooooo HUGE and cute. Just like mine was with Kas.

That Paramore/Dublin-trip sounds awesome! I wish I could go too! :D

It's always heart warming to read about all the care packages going around making people happy.
Lexlings rock! :D
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

Wingtear wrote:
therealmrswhitlock wrote:Thank God for Mike's Hard Lemonade. mmmmmm
Do we even wanna know what that is???

I did the hillbilly-preggie thing today... yeah...

I love how the evenings are getting dark :D it's 8pm and pitch-black outside. Me likey very much!
I'm the opposite. Daylight savings plus other side of planet means we are about to get more light. At the moment here, it is dark at 6pm. This is when I knock off work. Luckily, when I walk home in the dark, I look like the dude you cross the street to avoid, so I don't have to worry about running into anything dodgy myself. No matter if you know how to look after yourself, it's always better not to need to.

Anyway, I prefer the lighter nights, because once the darkness arrives, the tiredness kicks in. I seriously know how ed and bel from Wide Awake feel, and I hate sleeping, so the more light, the better.

PaulinhaBrasil wrote:
pharmer4 wrote:PS, is that you in your avatar?
@Pharmer – Yeah, that’s me. :D

Nice. dar merecimento a ruivo

PaulinhaBrasil wrote:Nice to meet you brother Gemini. Yeah, I don’t agree with Hillary Swank, if Meg Ryan was still 25, she would be great. Why aren’t you on FB??? Were tagging the hell out of you and you should be contributing. The Migraine on steroids scared me! Diet Coke ad???
The diet coke add that is annoying me must just be for Australian users of the site (I run one of these forums as well, and you can set advevrtising to be regional). Whenever the mouse moves over it, it opens a video of a diet coke add. Very annoying.

As for the migraine, today was the first day without the hangover from it. Which means, if the cycle works the same this time as it has each other time (about 6 so far in 15 years), then I should be getting a second migraine within the next week, and the third (and final) one a week or so after the hangover from that one clears off.

Fun Times.

@Obs - At your request, but for everyone's benefit - http://www.fanfiction.net/community/Lex ... 11/99/0/1/

Egg on pizza - it is spread all over (just like cheese) raw, and as the pizza cooks, so does the egg. Sort of like fried, but without the harshess of the heat that makes fried egg hard. next time you ring your pizza place that does anything, ask them to give it a crack.

@mrk/obs - if insurance etc can be taken away at any time, what is the incentive for them to organise it in the first place? Sure when unemployment is low, it will attract employees, but otherwise, why do it in the first place?

I'm very glad for public funded universal health care - It works well here in Australia, but that might be because we have a relatively low population - Australia's population is similar to that of New York (city, not state).

Me stuff - hmmmmmm

My mum's 51st birthday today (it is 5 past midnight), so that's a BBQ this weekend. Her mother is down here as well, so more family for the kids to meet. Mum actually was told she has a tumour in her salivary gland yesterday, but the surgeon is 90% sure it is benign.

We have a long weekend this weekend, in which I hope to finally finish the painting of the interior of my house.

For this long weekend, my home town has an event called a Ute Muster. A ute is a car with a tray on the back instead of, you know, chairs and Vulgar Language is Ugly. I believe the US calls them pick-up trucks. Ute is short for utility.

Anyway, people from all over the country congregate with their utes, drink lots of booze, watch a 3 day concert, then rack off home again. Problem is, most of them are complete morons, so it turns the town into a dodgy place for the 2 days leading up to it (the actual site is about 3km out of town, but before it opens, the people who arrive early all float around town making pains of themselves).

The up sides are the money injected into the town. The down side is the moron injection into the town. I do get to interact with a lot more medical people though - the paramedics who work out at the site come in to the pharmacy for supplies and fill me in on all the injuries that they've had to deal with. You can imagine - 20 thousand people + 200000 beers x 3 days = lots of injuries.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
PaulinhaBrasil

Post by PaulinhaBrasil »

Pizza: There are no cheeseless pizza here. I can’t imagine one without it! My fav ones are marguerite, vegetarian and Portuguese (eggs, pepperoni, black olives, green pepper, onion, corn, peas).

@Misty – Bastards! There should be a law over there or something that forbids this. Here you cant cut ppls payment and/or benefits. Once you are hired under a specific contract, the employer can't go back from what was agreed, no matter what. I’m here for you.

@Pharmer – Nice Portuguese lol… :lol: took me a few minutes to understand you… Thanks 8-) . I love family gatherings. Here, when my grandpa and grandma celebrate their b-day and anniversaries, the whole family comes, and I’m talking 2nd and 3rd cousins. Great-aunts and uncles… It is a blast. What about a FB account??? :P

Scare: I’m going through a scare with my mom also. She started having belly pains a few days back and today we went to the doctor. He suspects there is some kind of mass on her intestines. A mass is never a good thing. She is 54 and I’m praying that it is something simple. We’ll have some tests done this Friday so let’s see how that goes.

Insurance: Health care here is a paradox. Public is a mess but effective, if you need serious treatment, you will be taken care of. The daily stuff such as flu, allergies and the more annoying non lethal stuff, which are the ones that floods the system, are a mess. But private health care is fairly cheap here, well, the insurance is, but private doctors (outside the insurance network) cost an eye but you rarely need them, maybe that’s why they are expensive.

@Nina – How is shim? I have a hunch that it is a boy.

@Cappu – Your package will be on the mail in the next few days. I also like to see how we are connected here. Gives me comfort and makes the world smaller, cozyer.

It is funny how I talk about you guys. Ppl usually understand that you guys are my dearest friends and we “meet” often and joke, play, laugh. But when they ask me to invite you all to a bar or “churrasco” I say, oh, Cappu lives in Finland, so does Nina. Everybody is scattered around the globe, and I love them all just the same. I don’t care if we never met in person and these aren’t virtual friendships, these are true friends brought by the best possible thing. Affinity in all different and special matters!

Uhhhh! I'm meeting an on-line friend next week!!!!! *fireworks* I met him on a friends website and he is so so sweet! He is american but he is studying a semester in Argentina. Since he is just next door, he is coming here and will be spending 2 days here in Belo Horizonte. Then he'll go to Rio and do some touring there (wish I could go, but money have been too tight lately). I'm ecstatic, afraid, with butterflies, lost and found. So many questions... Cant wait!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
♀Sisterhood of the Traveling Book ♀
♥A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily!♥
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Insurance~We dont have mandatory insurance...and the only way to get help with state insurance is by how much you make. Since we took the big pay cut...all three boys will be covered by Nov 1st. So eveyone is covered except me, which makes me really happy! I was nervous about it!

Pharmer~ Thats just it....the more benefits a company offers...the more likely theyll get employees to stay. Yet, with this economy its the first thing cut!

Bex!!! AWESOME!!! that rocks!

Paulinha~ Have fun, be safe! Is he maybe more than a friend, or really just a friend?

Megs cant believe you are moving stuff in already!! YAY!!

Ninna...We dont have carriages like you have unless we special order them...and theyre $$$. Also, its illegal for us to have car seats in the front seats. I think they have to be backward facing and in the back seats until 1 yr!
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

Carriages/prams...
We inherited this one, and with the "sitting part" it looks like this but in the colors of the first link. The carrier looks something like this one, but I couldn't find the exact one.

Car seats
Place them where in your car you want, but make darn sure you don't have an air bag if you place it up front. If you dissemble the air bag it's OK. Kids up to 3 years are required to be in approved car seats, preferably facing backwards. I tried searching for traffic laws, but could only find recommendations. We do however have a law that says -everyone- in the car has to wear a seatbelt, and all children under 135 cm (4'4ft) must be in approved safety seats. This can be a "pillow" or an actual seat.
They recommend using the "pillow" until the kid is 10-12 years old... Seriously? I refused to use mine when I was 7, and I was the last in my class to quit using it.

Pup-talk
I found that carrying thingy I searched for (look-alike pic in the link above). Going to go out and collect the pram tomorrow, then I'll take some pictures and post in the blog. I got a load of laundry washed today, that's about as much useful I've been today.
I need to have program every day it seems...
So the Friday project looks like will be assembling the bureau and painting it white. Because I can't begin to clean pup's clothes before that is done, I'll have nowhere to put them...

Paula & Maria
thanks for the kind thoughts. Pup's doing great, keeps rummaging around in my tummy. The word I use for this behavior translate to [root, grub], and the other one to [crumple up]. Funny. They are both dialect though, but they describe my pup perfectly. Pup will for sure be the kind of baby that's rolled up at the top of the basket, buffing shim's head into the wall...
Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

Hi my beloved lexlings. I am so sorry that I have been MIA this past week or so. I have been super busy with moving stuff into my apartment. YAY got the keys early last Sat. SO apartment plans are this Friday going to paint some walls with my mom and my sis. Then Sat having the couches delivered. Next Friday October 9th the cable/internet/phone people also known as the Let's Not Bring Our Parentage Into This. of Comcast who come and rip you off because they are monopolizing the market and don’t really have competition and can charge what ever they want a$sholes, are coming.(hmmm can you tell how I really feel) And then the 10th is the actual big move when I will be officially moved in. So then YOU ALL CAN START TO COME AND VISIT ME ASAP!!!! Because I would love to have all your smiling faces here. A girl can wish right. But um yeah apologizing in advance for my absence that I know will be coming do to the actual move

MISTY-Oh sweetie I am so sorry!! That is just horrible I don’t understand how they can do this. I guess his employer thought it was better to makes these cuts than to eliminate an entire position. But basically this forces the employees to look for something else. I am sincerely hoping that somehow this is a blessing is disguise and something better will come around. Praying for you sweetie. The insurance thing is the hardest to swallow. But glad that the kids can get insurance thru the state at least. And hopefully you and Teddy can find some insurance too thru a private vendor. This just break my heart!! *HUGGLES* Wish I was there for you babe!

Palua- Hello beautiful! I just love your pics you have posted STUNNING!!! LOVE BDB!!! I am obsessed with the books and of course got to reading them because of the lexlings telling me too. And glad I did. They will keep a lonely glad warm on a cold night *wink wink* Hope things go well with the friend you will be meting, I am getting all giddy for you!

Bex-Nope not jealous AT ALL of your PARAMORE in DUBLIN at that. Grrrr if I didn’t love you so much I would have to hunt you down like the jealous biyatch I am and steal your tickets! Ahahaha. Glad I love ya though.

Janny-want to share your walnuts with me, haha. Oh BTW the Duggers are a family who have their own show on TV and are really Christian and don’t believe in birth control. So they have 19 kids. And their oldest child is married and is expecting, but now so it the mom. So the Grandchildren will be older than her own children. WEIRD

Obs- What up my zexy biyatch! HAHHA glad I am under hot crazies! I agree with Vamp diaries and the hot guys, but that is about it with it so far. OF course I have a thing for the bad guys too! Grr baby, grrr.

All this pizza talk is making me super hungry!!! But damn I do love my cheese I mean come on CHEESE!!! Need I say more. And HELLO CHICAGO is known for their good pizza!! We have a million different kinds. Misty got to sample one type, but we have tons more. See don’t you all want to come and see me some more. OK now I sound like a sad dorky kid on the playground who has no friends and is beggin you all to come see me. LMAO
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
CappuGirl

Post by CappuGirl »

the Duggers are a family who have their own show on TV and are really Christian and don’t believe in birth control. So they have 19 kids. And their oldest child is married and is expecting, but now so it the mom. So the Grandchildren will be older than her own children. WEIRD
Not so crazy to me. My mom has 12 siblings and by the time my grandma had the youngest, there was two grand children in the World already. One of them my half-sis. That was a time before birth control became popularry known in this country, thus the 13 kids. There's been a lot of families that size in that time. Of course this surprises nobody; just had to mention.

Meg, I wish I could just get in a plane, pick a lexling and go visit. :D That'd be awesome. ♥ But in the mean while I'm very much content keeping touch with everyone thru the web. If it all suddenly crashed, I'd be lost. :lol:

Here the family/personal insurance doesn't come with the pay check. People have to get it by their selves if they can afford. The emploer is forced by law to insurance it's worker's while they're at the work place. They can't cut that off no matter what the money situation. There's also this minimum health insurance suplied by the national Social Insurance Institution that cuts off some of the price when it comes to using medical centers and such and some meds. This insurance is for everyone and can't be taken away. What Paula said is pretty much like the medical centers are here: "Public is a mess but effective, if you need serious treatment, you will be taken care of. The daily stuff such as flu, allergies and the more annoying non lethal stuff, which are the ones that floods the system, are a mess." But if you want to go to a Private practice, you'll need an extra insurance or it can be too heavy on the wallet.

When there are economy problems, there are meetings between the employee-unions and employers to find a solution that would harm as little as possible. In big firms and factories those meetings often end in firing lots of people, and they try to pick those people so that they can go straight to retirement, but of course it's not always possible. There can also be paycuts. There's been such meetings at my hubby's workplace and they fired over half of the workers in the carage-unit where hubby works. They just left two of the best that can handle it when there's more work than two people should be able to handle... Luckily hubby is one of them. They've invested so much in him by sending him on those courses, he's pretty much non-replaceable. But he is very much stressed out by all this and would leave the firm if there was another job for him in town. One of his ex-coworkers has asked him to come work for him; he's asked twice. But hubby said no, since there would probably be a bit smaller salary and that job would mean we'd have to move further north and hubby doesn't want to leave this town.

I hope both Paula and Pharmer's moms will be okay. Nasty scares... *huggles* My dad is practically a walking dead, but he just doesn't want to die. Doctors are saying he should be dead by now, since among other things, his liver is a goner but he still keeps on drinking. There was a point when a doctor told him "if you'll drink once more, you'll die in that spot". He was without drinking for three whole weeks and then he just had to try.. and he lived, so of course he figures it's okay to drink a little every day. I don't keep that much in touch with either of my alcoholic parents now. They're always drunk when they call and they break my heart... not to mention drive me crazy with the tone of their voice and the things they speak when they're drunk...

Okay enough depressive stuff. What do you call the Xerox of a boner? Hard Copy.

The Real Skywalker Lineage
(Setting: A furious lightsaber duel is underway. Darth Vader is backing Luke Skywalker towards the end of the gantry. A quick move by Vader chops off Luke's hand. It goes spinning off into the ventilation shaft. Luke backs away. He looks around, but realizes there's nowhere to go but straight down....)

Darth Vader: Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Darth Vader: No, Luke... I am your father!
Luke: No! It's not true! It's impossible.
Darth Vader: Search your feelings... you know it to be true.
Luke: NO!
Darth Vader: Yes, it is true... and you know what else? You know that brass droid of yours?
Luke: Threepio? Darth Vader : Yes, C-3PO. I built him -- when I was only seven years old.
Luke: No!
Darth Vade : Seven years old! And what have you done? Look at yourself: No lightsaber, no hand, no job and couldn't even levitate your own ship out of the swamp.
Luke: I... I destroyed the Death Star!
Darth Vader When you were 20! When I was ten, I single-handedly destroyed a Trade Federation Droid Control ship!
Luke: Well, it's not my fault...
Darth Vader: Oh, here we go... “Poor me! My father never gave me what I wanted for my birthday... boo hoo, my daddy's the Dark Lord of the Sith...waahhh wahhh!”
Luke: Shut up.
Darth Vader: You're a slacker! By the time I was your age, I had exterminated the Jedi knights!
Luke: I used to race my T-16 through Beggar's Canyon!
Darth Vader: Oh, for the love of the Emperor...! Listen, ten years old and winner of the Boonta Eve Open, the only human to ever fly a Pod Racer -- right here, baby!
(Luke looks down the shaft. Takes a step towards it.)
Darth Vader : I was wrong. You're not my kid. I don't know whose you are, but you sure ain't mine. (Luke takes a step off the platform, hesitates, then plunges down the shaft. Darth Vader looks after him.)
Darth Vader : Get a haircut!'

:lol: Not my jokes.. just googled some.. I thought it's getting too serious.
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Q: What do you call a horse with a yeast infection?

A: A quarter pounder with cheese.

You can thank Cappu for that! Her "Hard Copy" made me so it!
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

What do you call a pissed dragon without cookies?
Ninna...