The Gutter Gals & Co. --Innuendo thread for the "older" fan

NovaAlbion
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: The Gutter Gals & Co. --Innuendo thread for the "older" fan

Post by NovaAlbion »

nissanmama wrote: Do you ever wonder whether people would like you more ore less if they could see inside you?
Technically, the answer to the question is, yes.

But there is more to it. I can easily come up with a half a dozen aspects to the question, but here are some that are important to me.

1. What is my motivation for wanting people to like me more (or less) than they do now? While my childhood was probably fairly normal, I wasn't very happy, especially relating to my peers. So I grew up pretty, not anti- but, non-social. I am pretty content with who I am and what I value. I am not terribly sensitive to what others think of me. That said, I am still human and a member of society. I recognize that I still want to be loved, want to be liked and that my behavior and outward presentation is subject, to a degree, to social influences that are sometimes at odds with my internal/uninfluenced nature.

2. Truth in advertising. Generally, I like to live WYSIWYG. (What you see is what you get.) Yes, one should put their best foot forward, but any strenuous efforts to alter the appearance, as opposed to altering the reality, becomes an attempt to deceive, i.e. a lie. The more you reveal of yourself, gives power over you to others. The more you reveal to your intimates, the more they will cherish who you really are. The more you reveal to those who do not value you, makes you more vulnerable to manipulation for their benefit rather than your well being. A habit of non-disclosure reduces both intimacy and vulnerability.

3. I am human. Therefore, like most people, I have flaws. Some I would feel mortified if revealed. (Please note that this not a confession to any grievous crime or "sin". I get embarrassed about things others consider trivial.) Some, I feel are rather minor and are not usually embarrassing even if disclosed. There are many between the two extremes. Still, I am trying to become a better person than I currently am. So, I try to be better in my words and deeds than my initial impulses may dictate. Is it true? Is it needful? Is it helpful or constructive? Is it needlessly cruel? I've had to fire people. I've had to correct behaviors that were disruptive, inappropriate or dangerous. If I filter a bit, I can make it a, relatively, positive experience for all involved. If I act and speak totally naturally, impulsively destruction, emotional, mental, social, business and relationships, ensue.

I guess, the ideal way would be somewhat like Stephenie came up with for Bella. I'd like to grant access to a very few intimates for limited periods. But generally, I'd like to keep what is in my head, in my head. If that means that I think that people would like me less if they saw inside, so be it.
"Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here." Sue Kidd Monk, The Secret Life of Bees, Chapter 6

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4332809/1/Out_Of_The_Blue
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

Holy crap. I think Alphie and I were on the same wavelength briefly. Weeeeird.
Alphie wrote:I like being liked and I get hurt way too easily.
Aww. I need my Dex hug emoticon right about now. I'll go find one to use instead.

[15 minutes later] Okay, so hugging emotes are surprisingly hard to find, but I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this one, so it'll have to do:
Image (C'mon, those of you who know me, can't you totally see me doing that?)
Alphie wrote: The activity in the kitchen is so hot that the whole Iron Chef studio would be in ashes if the characters were doing their baking in there.
And I was totally watching Iron Chef when I read that post. Can you imagine the weirdness? Here I am thinking about Bobby Flay doing gutter baking instead of actually deboning the fish. Yeah, yeah. That went downhill so fast. And they aren't doing anything nearly that interesting, right now. Although they are using a shredder without the handguard, and the announcer keeps saying "Please, PLEASE don't ever do that at home, it's stupid even for professionals to do!" And I'm giggling.

I'd imagine that... well, ladies, there's just no faking it when your partner knows every thought. And, you would know his! (Or hers, Misfit.) I like the idea of being able to CHOOSE when he(she) could hear my thoughts. Then, when I wanted him to hear me, he could. And then if I decided if it was too weird for him to hear me thoughts whilst baking, I could just shut him out again. Woo!

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I'm loving the idea of turning my thoughts on and off while "baking" and vice versa. I think that would make for a very steamy... caserole.
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

Totally getting off the deep topic here...

I have such a dirty mind. You have no idea... well... maybe you do! LOL! While reading the post about watching Iron Chef with words like "deboning the fish" and "professionals not wearing gloves" I just got some really sick and twisted metal images.

Why would you EVER debone while baking? I mean really. And as was proven in BD, vampires DO need to wear gloves while baking with a human. Shredding will ensue if gloves are not worn.
Tamalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tamalyn »

Alphie wrote:Totally getting off the deep topic here...

I have such a dirty mind. You have no idea... well... maybe you do! LOL! While reading the post about watching Iron Chef with words like "deboning the fish" and "professionals not wearing gloves" I just got some really sick and twisted metal images.
GIGGLE! Alphie totally beat me to the 'deboning' double entendre. Dang her and her guttery swiftness! (JK. I love, and fear, the mods!)

As to the 'having people know your inside' discussion, all you gutterites have given me some good food for thought, and I appreciate your honesty - because it makes me look at myself honestly.

I think that what it really boils down to is total intimacy.

Would I want the whole world to know my every thought and desire? Good heavens no. Not just because I think that I would appear -to them- a total beast at times, although that is part of it. I wouldn't want the world to know everything that is in my head because I'm still learning to love myself, warts and all (the figurative kind of warts. I have good skin). To let everyone inside my head would be ... somewhat violating.

I also think that when it comes to lovers, I would love to have him know what's going on in my head. Because, to be participating in any kitchen-related activities, I personally would have already built up alot of trust and love towards my baking partner, so I know that I would be dying to know what was going on in his head!! So, it would follow naturally that I would want him in mine - total honesty is total intimacy. (in my opinion)

Unless of course he's daydreaming about someone else, because that would lead to his getting banished from the kitchen AND the dining room.
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Ha ha! Alphie, you just made my night! Yes, I am the keeper of the "cosy" and that does kind of go against being shy, doesn't it? Okay, so I already know some of the Lex members because of posting on the Lex. So, I'm not AS shy around Lex members I just meet. Okay, so maybe shy wasn't the right word. ;)

Yeah, the whole knowing each other's thoughts during baking thing would mostly be a bad thing. I would never ever want my baking partner to know how much they sucked, if they did. That would just make it worse. Besides, what if you were thinking something like, "This is so lame. I wish I was baking with 'so-and-so' right now. He/she was a much better baker!" Can you imagine the awkwardness that would ensue? Although, if it helps step the baking up a notch, then let it happen!
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

jenni_elyse wrote:Yeah, the whole knowing each other's thoughts during baking thing would mostly be a bad thing. I would never ever want my baking partner to know how much they sucked, if they did. That would just make it worse. Besides, what if you were thinking something like, "This is so lame. I wish I was baking with 'so-and-so' right now. He/she was a much better baker!" Can you imagine the awkwardness that would ensue? Although, if it helps step the baking up a notch, then let it happen!
i don't mean to jump in for the first time mid-conversation...kind of feels like baking-interuptus, but i would really NOT want to know what my baking partner was thinking while making creme brûlée or any other delicacy. I would be afraid of hearing about how cottage cheese thighs don't mix well with the recipe, and perhaps this is where the de-boning comes into play.

however, it would certainly make it easier if he wasn't stirring properly uhm, hon, try using the counter-clockwise whisking motion instead of the beaters. In the same vein, it might be horrible if his kitchen equipment wasn't up to par -period- and he could hear you wishing for a rolling pin instead of a kebab stick.

(I hope i haven't surpassed the gutter and gone straight to the trashbin...it's my first time...be gentle. ;) )
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

oleander wrote:i don't mean to jump in for the first time mid-conversation...kind of feels like baking-interuptus,
  • *snort*
Ah...Alphie...thank you for mucking up my new laptop. It's a virgin screen that hasn't been spat upon since Fry got a real life and left us to our own devices. Now I have to explain the hot chocolate to T-pa if I can't get it out of the little speaker holes. I definitely need to look up these books you speak of...I'm a big fan of kitchen stadium. Seems I'm forever waiting for the next installment of some series. Please tell me it's a finished series. Nalini Singh's even got us starting a new series before she's finished the last one! I swear I'm waiting for more books to be released this year than I read last year.
  • *paces again like Vaughn*
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Dont_Call_Me_Nessie
Wandering Through Town

Post by Dont_Call_Me_Nessie »

Am I allowed to post here? It's my first time.

I just think it would be awful to have your baking partner know what you were thinking while you're frosting the cupcakes. I mean, what if you were really only baking because it's Tuesday and you always do the baking on Tuesday? Or what you were actually thinking about at that particular moment was how you hoped you didn't end up with a bun in the oven?

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE baking. Nothing like a fresh baguette to really start your day off right. But sometimes, it's just bread. And does your baking buddy need to know that? I think not.
-EB-
Wandering Through Town

Post by -EB- »

Alphie - I will never look at Iron Chef again now.

"And the secret ingredient of the day is...COCONUTS!!" Just think of all that can be done with nice big round coconuts. The husbands will love the new excitement at comments like this.

Knowing eachothers thoughts during Baking would be EVIL. Male chefs blurt out enough stupid stuff in the kitchen as it is, let alone what actually go caught in the sifter.
Q: How does one insult a mathematician?A: You say: "Your brain is smaller than any Epsilon>0!"

a pet project to show my Meyer love:Image