Gutter Gals & Guys -- Rainbow Popsicles. The Discussion.

nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys -- Rainbow Popsicles. The Discussion.

Post by nissanmama »

vampmadness wrote:I posed a question earlier about a book I saw about a bunch of short vampire stories from really famous authors. But, got no response. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Has anybody read it? If so, please let me know. I want know if it worth purchasing.
I thought I recalled someone mentioning a title and asking if it was the book you were wondering about. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Love the new avi!
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Nima - what a roller coaster of a weekend, glad you and FS are having a metal health day. Again, glad he won the game and that the recruiting weekend went well.

QOTD: Do you take "mental health" days and how do you like to spend them? Yes, I used to take them when I worked for my old firm. But it was a 1/2 day. We worked 4 -8.5 days and then had a half day every Friday (but I would end up working a full day). We were short on staff and I am an overachiever so I had a tendency to be the one stuck working the long days and extra hours. So at least once a month I took a metal health day and would stay home reading. If hubby took the same day off, we would take a drive in the mountains or go away for the weekend to the coast or mountains. Now, I don't have the time off (I have less time off than my old job but I work less hours too). I miss taking them tho', I would love in the winter to have a whole day curled up in front of the fire place, drinking hot mint tea and reading. *Sigh*, I really need more vacation hours!

VampMan - I have read MANY short story collections, most of which are paranormal stories. Do you remember what any of the stories are about? Maybe I have read it.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

I am a "stay-at-home" mom with two children 5 and 2.5... So our mental health days are more like "give mom a break" evenings (especially when the husband is traveling). I let the kids have pizza and popcorn for dinner while sitting on the family room floor and watching one of their favorite movies - that way I get about 90 minutes of free time! I do get to go to the gym a few times a week (it has a daycare), so that really recharges me. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to work in my LEX time into the daily schedule.

Back to the movie clip... That is a really good point about Bella in her undies and being so out of character. I also agree about the scene where she comes clean to Edward about him being a vampire. Did that conversation take place in the Volvo on the way home from Port Angeles? I know that the movie is going to make a lot of changes... Some to keep the story movie (animal attack at the power plant?!), and some to "spice it up" - Bella losing her old sweats. I'm trying not to get too hyped up about the movie, so that I won't be really let down. It's such a sweet and touching love story... To me the meadow scene will be a deal breaker - they better get that right!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
VampLover
Learning to Love Green

Post by VampLover »

I will probably have to see the movie twice in a row, because I know the first time I will 1) be too exited and 2) will be nitpicking all the way through, just cuz I'm like that. So the second time through I will hopefully be able to sit and enjoy it.
As long as I was on my way to Hell - I might as well enjoy the journey.
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

una,

No I don't remember the stories. I was in a hurry when I saw it and just glanced at it really.

It was all short stories about Vampires from famous authors like Stephen King, James Patterson, Anne Rice, Dean Koontz, Jonathan Kellerman, and many others. I wish I would have looked at it more closely now

BlueStarlight,

Your right about the panties thing. I guess I need to re-think that. It is out of character for Bella!
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

QOTD: Do you take "mental health" days and how do you like to spend them?

I don't think I'd survive without taking mental health days. I usually take on every couple of months from work. And, if I don't have anything pressing going on over the weekends, I try to turn Saturday or Sunday into a mental health day. As to how I spend them...reading, crocheting, watching TV or movies, sleeping, taking a bath while reading, spending time on the Internet, etc.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

VampMan, I haven't read that one yet, but I'll look for it and put it on my shelfari, there are a couple authors that I really enjoy.

I really think they could have put Bella in a pair of little sleep shorts and still added to the "current-hollywood-skin minimums" and yet stayed true to the story. Part of the romance and their characters is their nativity and shyness. Remember, Bella is afraid of her humanness and that her body is not attractive to Edward (like most girls that age). Edward was raised in a time that men did NOT see women in their undergarments. He was gentleman when it came to that, he worried over his self-control so he wouldn't put himself in a situation where seeing a scantily glad Bella would undo him. I will however, keep an open mind when I see the movie. Maybe what we saw is right before Edward realizes she is only in panties and quickly (vampire speed) covers her up, embarrassed and leaves.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

una wrote: Part of the romance and their characters is their nativity and shyness. Remember, Bella is afraid of her humanness and that her body is not attractive to Edward (like most girls that age). Edward was raised in a time that men did NOT see women in their undergarments. He was gentleman when it came to that, he worried over his self-control so he wouldn't put himself in a situation where seeing a scantily glad Bella would undo him. I will however, keep an open mind when I see the movie. Maybe what we saw is right before Edward realizes she is only in panties and quickly (vampire speed) covers her up, embarrassed and leaves.
This is a perfect summary, thank you. I guess in an effort to make a more broadly appealing movie, things like that will get changed. I also agree with vamplover (I think that is who wrote it)... I'll have to watch the movie a couple of times. One just to see it and another to critique it! I bet we'll have some interesting forum discussions once it's been released.
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

I am disappointed to see Bella in her panties, but I am taking the whole thing (movie) as a separate entity from the book. I am going to try really hard to see the movie like I am seeing any other movie, without the high expectations of the book. I have enjoyed the Harry Potter movies as movies in their own way, different from the books. So hopefully I will be able to do that with Twilight too. I still want to have fun and enjoy the movie, so hopefully it will be a good movie and they won't totally screw it up! :lol:

Mental health, I take time when I need it throughout the day. My kids are now both in school, so during the day if I feel like I need a nap, I take it. I know I am lucky to be able to do that. So far, my kids have not wanted or I should say asked for a mental health day. They are 10 and 7. My 10 year old should take a mental health day. Her mood swings are killing me!

I am glad the game and visit to Butler went well Nissanmama. I hope that FS can go to which ever school he wants to.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

NiMa, i'm so happy that your son's season ended on a high note, what with the shoulder issues. I was moved by your description of the ritual they took part in at the end of the game. It's important for tradition to be upheld like that, not to mention the pride it must have instilled in FS.

QOTD: Do you take "mental health" days and how do you like to spend them?

Yes, yes i do. I am not ashamed to admit that I get overwhelmed, and will usually tell my boss the next day that I had taken a mental health day and we'll sit down and figure out what had caused me to need it. Since my ADHD diagnosis there are some things that medication can't help, and my brain short circuits. I think it's a side effect of the medication because I didn't used to burn out like that. It's one of the few (and rare) downsides to taking the meds.

I also have panic and anxiety issues sometimes, so in order to prevent myself from completely losing my mind i have to remove myself from the situation. I'm very lucky that my boss is understanding.

Knock on wood, things have been pretty good lately. :)

Today i'm off, but not for a MHD, i just got back from a weekend away. I really don't want to go back to work tomorrow, but what can i do? Can't be on vacation forever, not to mention i'm picking up my copy of the movie companion tomorrow and the bookstore is beside my office. ;) i'm sure someone will see me sneaking in.

Oh, and before i forget...THANK YOU for the daily hip dent photo! I was showing my older sister (who is completely disgusted that Edward is being played by Robert Pattinson) the LEX and some of the older hip dent photos and she blushed!! Hee hee. It takes a lot to make her blush.