Gex X--the 30 something thread

ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by ellalou73 »

I've been three times now, I have to stop but I can't seem to. All three times I was in the minority, and the adults in attendance were there because of their kids. I think we all laughed at the same time. When I saw it on Thursday night I kept wanting to point up at the screen at at various times excited to see the characters from the book, that's the one bad thing about going on your own, but I loved it.

Thursday night was the biggest reaction night. In my theater all the girls and some of the guys were all taking snap shots of one another before the movie began, and very few people were without their various Twilight Shirts, myself included. I was surprised because Jacob got more of a reaction than Edward did, so did Carlisle when he first appeared on screen. I had fun all three times, and I want to see it again..eep.
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

Well, I went on Friday afternoon while my kids were in school - and there were only about 30 people max in the theater. Several were of "our" age, a few teens that skipped school. There was a couple "couples." It was very quiet in the theater. Before the show I stood up and showed off my shirt, and I tried to get other people into the mood - I'm not a shy gal. I showed off my photos of the cast that are on my phone (mostly Rob), etc. There were no fan reactions once the movie started. I had to silently swoon and squee. This is why I say that I really wish I could see the movie with my Lex buddies! I needed to swoon aloud!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

oleander wrote:i have a question for all my lovely GenXers...quite obviously our generation was in the minority at most showings of the movie. So, I was wondering: did you feel old or were you happy to be able to squee and blame it on the kids?
AND
What was the audience reaction to the movie where you saw it? Were they loud? Quiet?
Why oh why is my thread notification feature not working? So many new pages on Gen X and I had no idea!

As for the "Peggy Sue" question: I'd relive November 1994 again. I was in university (which I enjoyed much more than either elementary school or high school), in the program of study I wanted, and my soul mate told me he felt the same way that I did for him. Heady times! My memory is so terrible that it'd probably be helpful to go back to those times (it's quite scary how little I remember) but some moments were quite cringe-worthy. Although they helped to make me the person I am (eccentric quirks and ticks and all), I'd rather keep some of those cruel moments in the past.

I felt a bit old at the showing. I went for the 10 pm show on Thursday. I got there at 9. It was already quite full with teens and twenty-somethings. I actually brought industrial ear muffs to drown out the anticipated screaming but I thought it might make me stand out even more, so I didn't pull them out. I sat reading my Dark Hunter e-book on my laptop until the previews started to play.Like Carlisle, I had my self-control and I didn't squeal (nor did I give any hints or indications about the movie when I went to work the next day).
The audience reaction before the movie was lots of loud talking, with screaming when they saw Robert Pattison on screen (and when they showed the preview for the next Harry Potter movie). During the movie, it was pretty respectful - squeals when Robert / Edward first appeared on screen and when they kissed. There was laughter - sometimes when I think it was meant to be and sometimes when I don't think the director meant it to be funny (are we under a discussion ban here? I won't go into any more details on that point.)
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I finally saw the movie today and I was a little upset because the theatre wasn't even crowed and there were only a handful of teens, 20 somethings there.

I was mostly an older crowd and everyone was so reserved. I found myself having to control my inner "fangirl," which was sad because there were times I wanted to let out a "SWUEEEEE" but held it in.

I don't know if alot of the people where there to see what all the hype was about or actually TW fans beside myself there was only one other person wearing anything TW related. :?

I still enjoyed the movie and my inner "fangirl" loved it.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs »

I was very impressed with the people in my theatre, I was terrified going into it that there would be non-stop squealing.
I too went to a 10pm showing, but most of the people there were older teens/late twenties...I even saw some men! Not boys, but men! I was shocked and impressed.
There was a bit of a squeal/round of applause once the lights went out, and when the movie started, but other than that, I have no complaints. It was an amazing atmosphere, you could feel the excitement. I even heard a girl sitting behind me say "I'm just so excited, I can hardly stand it" just before the opening credits started.
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ChristinasHeadache »

Must be the thin air up here that makes us old women looney lol... I went to the midnight show Thurs night, lots of college girls, lots of everyone there was 4 sold out screens lol... the theater I was in had this group of PITA girls that would NOT shut up took me half the movie before I finally stood up and shouted at them "SHUT THE <censored> UP ALREADY!!! Everyone cheered me and they finally cut down to whispering. I couldn't make the proper squee's because I was too busy gasping for air when I saw Rob lol
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia

dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

oleander wrote: i have a question for all my lovely GenXers...quite obviously our generation was in the minority at most showings of the movie. So, I was wondering: did you feel old or were you happy to be able to squee and blame it on the kids?

AND

What was the audience reaction to the movie where you saw it? Were they loud? Quiet?
I have to say I was quite impressed by the audience in the theater where I saw the movie. It was the 8 p.m. show on Friday night and more tha a half of the people were adults, that is older than 20. There were a lot of couples and adult males as well...I was positively surprised by this!
In spite of the average age, the Cullens were welcomed with screams and applause, as well as Jacob. The younger girls kept heavily chit chatting throughout the movie, commenting on this or that details, but nothing too loud.
The experience was definitely good. My boyfriend liked the movie, special effects excluded, and started to read the book. Unfortunately, I had to skip the second vision on Sunday because I have a bad stomach flu :evil:
I can't wait to see it again :mrgreen:
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

Hey Dimber, sorry to hear you were under the weather. Seeing it again was better in part than the first. I was kind of worried about how it would all go, but since it went fine in my opinion, the second and third times were just relaxed and fun. It really is a great movie, and very beautiful. I had a grin on my face after all three times. I want to go again now.
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

I guess I will answer my own question now.

Thursday night the audience screamed and squeed through the whole movie. While it was kind of annoying, it was also kind of fun to get swept up in the excitement. I've never experienced anything quite like it and i'm glad I did. I sat beside my friend's 14 year old daughter who spent a lot of the movie hyperventilating and a couple of times i had to poke her to make her start breathing again. :)

Friday night's crowd was much quieter, with the exception of the girls sitting behind me who raked through each scene with a fine-toothed comb picking it apart for not being exactly like the book. GRR!

My favourite moments, though, involved what i lovingly refer to as the "collective swoon." In the moment before the kiss everyone inhaled sharply and when the kiss was done they exhaled and swooned collectively. It was poetry in motion!

I think i'm going again tonight, by myself, and I'm curious if there'll be a crowd there at all.
DanyaO
Wandering Through Town

Post by DanyaO »

When I went to the 10pm show on Saturday there were 22 other people there. (I counted) lol