Gex X--the 30 something thread

skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by skylarblue »

Now the college years are a mixture for me - loved/hated it.

Did way too much drinking and not alot of studying my freshman year (almost failed out), met J's dad (good and bad), joined a sorority, met some of the best/worse people and also had some of the worst/best years of my life. College was fun.

If I could re-live those years, I would change alot but also keep alot. Wouldn't want to do that again, even knowing what I know now.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Goodness my high school years were such lows and a very few highs. I feel like I had finally started trying to figure out who I am. The one best thing, was in my senior year, I met my first love. Yup, it was my third boyfriend and I thought we would end up being sweethearts. However, after I graduated, things fell apart quickly. But to go back to being/experiencing first love again - *swoon*, yeah, I think I could do that again.

Yay! Boards are back up and hubby and I are about to leave to see Twilight! Woo Hoo!!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

While there are things that I don't necessarily like from when I was growing up, I really don't want to change anything. My life events lead me to who I am today, and I love that person. It took a while to get here, but I truly believe that things "happen for a reason," and shape us to become stronger people. With that... If I could go back and experience something again... The summer between my junior and senior years of high school... I was madly in love with my best guy friend. His mom was gone all summer and he was living with his much more lenient step-mom. He would come over and we'd hang out until way too late! Then, we went to see the Canada/USA fireworks down in Detroit/Windsor in July. We got back really late (my parents were gone, too)... I let him stay the night - on the couch of course! If I could go back, I'd change that!! (We ended up dating for 2 years later on!) Ah, first loves!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

It's so nice to see the comforting lavender walls of the Lex. I was starting to get a little anxious. ;) The Lex is like Jasper to me.

Your Peggy Sue question stumped me. Is there a week i'd like to relive from the 80s? No, probably not. I'd like to leave the heartache and disappointment of the 80s behind me. I realize that every single moment we live shapes who we are later so I have few regrets, I just wouldn't want to relive the horrors of high school.

If i could relive a week from the 90s, i might go back to that glorious first week I was with my first love when everything was shiny, new and wonderful. Maybe. It might be too hard to leave it behind again.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

TwilightMom, I agree with you. I took the question as being something to relive - not change. Just as Peggy Sue figures out, things do happen for a reason. Are there moments in my past that were painful, yes. Are there moments that I wish I had make a better choice, of course. If I had the power to go back and change it, I wouldn't. All those experiences, good choices and bad choices have made me who I am today. I firmly believe that sometimes negative experiences can lead to positive things. No one ever said growing up was easy, some lessons are learned the hard way, but just like growing pains, they soon do pass and we are stronger/better for it. As I have learned from the new friends I have made here, there are many strong, good people on this lex, those that have overcome great personal challenges. I am inspired by them and it is them that aid me when facing a turbulent time. Sometimes I feel that my negative experience is a good thing when it allows me to support another/help someone else through a difficult time. Better yet, when I can look back and the negative experience helps me to make a good decision and move forward.

By the way....I LOVED the movie. Hubby's words, "it was good, better than Harry Potter #1." He may not wish to see it again and again, but he did enjoy it! I'm sure the poor guy knows tho', when the movie comes out on DVD, I'm so getting it and watching ALL the deleted scenes... :twisted: over and over and over....
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

High school for me wasn't all that great. I was kind of a loaner. To be honest I always struggled with my education even from an early age. The other part was that when my mom died my stepmother decided to take me out of private school, convincing my dad that it was the right coarse of action. My mom knew i wouldn't do well in public school, but my dad really didn't know that because he worked all the time. I think I would have succseeded if I would have remained in private school. My dad and stepmother were very controlling pushing me all the time to be an a student but it was a struggle.

I guess I kind of resent the fact that my stepmother didn't consider what public school was doing to me. I was also a loaner, and had a few good friend, but not many. I'm just glad that's all in the past.
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I may be contradictin myself, I don't know if I would change everything but I would change some things.
I've realized now that I was so unaware of things happening around me and I was content living in my own little world. I wish I was more aware of things.

Now I wouldn't change what happened in my life but I would definitely change some of the decisions that I've made. Yes, alot of what I've been through has made me the person I am today. There were also situations that I've put myself into in the past without any rhyme or reason.

So now I look back and wonder what was I thinking but all those situations, whether good or bad, made me who I am today.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
DanyaO
Wandering Through Town

Post by DanyaO »

I can attest to Oleander's relief of the Lex being back. I was on the phone with her when she said, "I'm looking at Lavender!!!" :)

If I could relive part of the 80's or 90's... Hm. I'd love to see my dad again- he passed away in Feb '95 and the last time I went to visit him was June '94. We spent a week together and I'd go back and spend that week again. Also- my first few months in Korea in '99 were great too. Also- there were some times in '98 and '99 that Oleander can confirm were pretty darn magical- yes? :) :) :) There are a few nights in there I could repeat for SURE.

Okay- big news people!!!! Joe and I saw the movie on Thursday, the night it opened. He left saying "I love the Cullens!" So I could tell- the time was right for deal-making. I won't even go into the things I had to promise Joe to get him to read the books (it mostly involves a lot of expensive snowboarding gear) but --- HE HAS STARTED! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND - the promise is to read ALL FOUR BOOKS. omg!

So- he has just read the first 100 pages of Twilight. His only complaint is that he knows everything because it's just like the movie. lol
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

yes Danya, there are some very magical moments we've shared from the late 90s, and I would be lying if i didn't sort of wish we could go back to that, just for one night...but that's it. :lol:

i have a question for all my lovely GenXers...quite obviously our generation was in the minority at most showings of the movie. So, I was wondering: did you feel old or were you happy to be able to squee and blame it on the kids?

AND

What was the audience reaction to the movie where you saw it? Were they loud? Quiet?
DanyaO
Wandering Through Town

Post by DanyaO »

I never feel old even amongst teens. I guess because I'm a bit of a 'daywalker' with the young! lol I still get ID'ed for booze and the age here is 19. Two years ago in New Zealand I got ID'ed three times for booze- I was thirty and the age there is 18. It meant there was a glimmer of hope I was 17. :lol: