Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Inconsistencies Between the Movies

Post by Violet Sunlight »

marielle wrote: I never given it any thought but yes, it would be impossible for Jasper to stand so close to Edward. In NM 1 drop of blood was enough for Jasper to loose it, and Ewdard has always pointed out that Bella's blood smells good and not just to him. and for survival instincts, 6 grown up vampires in NM wasn't enough to keep Jasper from attacking Bella... so I think the survival theory is moot...

I too, did not give the whole Jasper being near Edward while covered in Bella’s blood much thought until the excellent point was brought up here. And true, 6 vampires were not enough to keep Jasper from attacking Bella in NM. But, those 6 vampires/relatives were not trying to kill Jasper. They were trying to separate him from Bella. The wolves however, in BD1 came to the house to kill/destroy everyone who stood in their path. Hence, my reason for thinking maybe Edward could have thought Jasper would keep his control as a survival technique. I could be wrong but I think, for a vampire, survival is more important than feeding.

Oh, I also don’t see how Jasper stood in the house or near the house, while all that blood was spilling on Bella’s delivery table. But, I do understand how they needed to keep Jasper in or near the house for the wolf fight.

Plus, I think in BD1, in the wolf fighting scene, they kept Robert Pattinson/Edward bloody as a dramatic movie effect.
velvet409
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by velvet409 »

Violet Sunlight wrote:Oh, I also don’t see how Jasper stood in the house or near the house, while all that blood was spilling on Bella’s delivery table. But, I do understand how they needed to keep Jasper in or near the house for the wolf fight.
Actually that wasn't a change for the movie; he was there in the book. After Rosalie loses her focus and Jacob subdues her, Edward tells Alice to "take her to Jasper and keep her there." Then a few minutes later when Renesmee is born Rosalie comes back and takes her while Edward and Jacob work to save Bella, so Jasper was in or near the house during the birthing.

The difference between the book and the movie was that Jasper and Alice went hunting with Carlisle, Esme and Emmett. Jasper and Alice then came straight home while Carlisle went looking to secure more blood for Bella. Since in the book Jasper had just hunted, it wasn't as much of an issue for him being there, while in the movie they did the whole siege scenario and only Carlisle, Esme and Emmett got out, leaving Alice and Jasper behind.

But in the end you're right in that for the movie's storyline they needed to have more than just Edward there to fight the wolves when they attacked, therefore Jasper and Alice were kept at the house to back him up. So while I wouldn't technically consider it an inconsistency, it could be said that having a thirsty Jasper that close and still in control was stretching the rules of canon.
Banner by TammyAZ
"Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch."
Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Violet Sunlight »

velvet409 wrote: Actually that wasn't a change for the movie; he was there in the book. After Rosalie loses her focus and Jacob subdues her, Edward tells Alice to "take her to Jasper and keep her there." Then a few minutes later when Renesmee is born Rosalie comes back and takes her while Edward and Jacob work to save Bella, so Jasper was in or near the house during the birthing.

The difference between the book and the movie was that Jasper and Alice went hunting with Carlisle, Esme and Emmett. Jasper and Alice then came straight home while Carlisle went looking to secure more blood for Bella. Since in the book Jasper had just hunted, it wasn't as much of an issue for him being there, while in the movie they did the whole siege scenario and only Carlisle, Esme and Emmett got out, leaving Alice and Jasper behind.

Yes, of course, you are right. Thank you for setting me straight. I guess it just always bug me, how in the books, one drop of blood was a big deal for Jasper in New Moon and in Breaking Dawn all that blood on Bella’s delivery table was not.
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Velvet409 wrote:Actually that wasn't a change for the movie; he was there in the book. After Rosalie loses her focus and Jacob subdues her, Edward tells Alice to "take her to Jasper and keep her there." Then a few minutes later when Renesmee is born Rosalie comes back and takes her while Edward and Jacob work to save Bella, so Jasper was in or near the house during the birthing.
Interesting. I always assumed that Jasper was a good few miles away, and that instead of Alice taking Rosalie all the way there, Rosalie convinced Alice that she had regained control while still in the house or pretty close. Maybe they have an odor-proof room in the house, like a walk-in safe or an empty fridge :lol:

I did like how, in the movie, Jasper's eyes widen at the mention of providing blood for Bella to drink, and Alice promptly leads him away. Cute little bit of comic relief - just a little relief.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I noticed in BD Pt 1 that Edward goes to hunt while they're on their honeymoon, and comes back with eyes that still look pretty dark. What, didn't he find anything? Also, his eyes are lighter in the scene where he takes Jacob outside for their talk, even though Carlisle has just said that they've been back for two weeks. He wouldn't have gone hunting with Bella in her fragile condition. And, if he did, why didn't some of the other Cullens come with him, whereas Emmett says, shortly after, that no one's hunted "for weeks"?

The eyes are something that has annoyed me in every movie since Twilight. I'm pretty sure they had circles, or at least some dark shading, under their eyes in Twilight. But, while Edward had circles under his eyes at the end of New Moon, his eyes were golden! (Chris Weitz has admitted he goofed with that). Since then, there have been no circles under their eyes even when their eyes are black. I liked that the black eyes have been back in Eclipse and BD Pt 1, but I'd like the circles under the eyes to be there too. Perhaps they think it makes them look too ugly.

Getting the eyes right must be a tricky thing, though. I know others have mentioned on this site the fact that Edward's eyes are golden when he and Bella come back from visiting Renee in Florida in Eclipse, but then, when Bella returns to the house that night after that infamous motorcycle scene, Edward's eyes are black. I really wish someone had thought to make his eyes black in the motorcycle scene. It would have made sense that he wouldn't have had time to hunt since before they went to Florida.
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

Oh Goodness! They eyes!!! Of all the things I noticed, I didn't pay as much attention to those as I should have! Now, I have a reason to watch all the movies again! :lol:
Grayce
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I'm really sorry to force you to watch them again, Grayce! ;)
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...
I was watching some clips from BD1 recently and I noticed how in the kissing and "honeymoon" scenes Bella dents/molds Edward's skin. To illustrate what I mean: In this video at 0:20 and at 1:54. I get it; they're just human actors. But she wouldn't have been able to do that to vampire skin right? Doesn't the book say something about her being able to really kiss him - not just "shape" her lips around his marble-like mouth - once she became a vampire? (Forgive me for not remembering the exact quote and for not having my books with me at the moment.) I haven't really noticed it before in any of the other movies, but I guess you can sort of tell with every kiss they've had.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yeah, Suzan, I've noticed that in the sex scene. The way she's holding onto his back, you can see her making dents in soft skin. I always just try and ignore it. After all, it's pretty hard to make his skin behave like it's stone! But I wish they'd edited that shot out and put another one in its place, as it is clearly wrong as far as canon goes.

I've noticed lately, too, that Bella's wedding ring jumps around a lot, sometimes being replaced by her engagement ring. Her ring seems to move from hand to hand, too, but I'm not sure if that's just because we're looking in mirrors a lot, or if it's the ring actually moving. I can't see why she would switch the wedding ring to her right hand, so maybe it's just the mirrors causing the confusion.
Austwilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by Austwilight »

Yeah l noticed the skin too. The one that annoyed me the most was getting the how many days after the wedding in BD. how hard was it to look it up in the book and get the right quote, geez. That really annoyed me

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]