Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Inconsistencies Between the Movies

Post by Openhome »

This thread is for discussing not only general inconsistencies between the books and the movies, but also for discussing inconsistencies between the movies. Did you notice something different in the houses? Were the props off? How about the story line? Tell us what you saw!

By the way, hair doesn't count. We all know about the hair. Cullen hair will go down in cinematic history as possibly the worst fiasco of the franchise.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Inconsistencies Between the Movies

Post by corona »

I'll go ahead and mention a few things.

As far as differences between the books and the movies, I guess the biggest one for me is the way Edward's fighting ability is portrayed. The only true details we get from the books is the Victoria fight, which Edward sailed through unscathed. There were a couple of iffy moments in the TW movie, but still OK, and then the NM movie he is bested by Felix with an added scene, and in the EC movie he doesn't anticipate Carlisle's moves during training and he almost gets killed by Victoria. In BD, there's another added scene with Edward and the Cullens getting overpowered by the wolf pack.

I could come up with other differences, but that one, Edward's fighting ability, enhanced by his mental gifts, has been consistently undermined throughout the movie series. I can understand wanting to heighten the drama of the fight scenes, so there were a lot of "what if?" scenarios thrown into each movie. By the time it got to Eclipse, though, it was just ridiculous (what if Seth couldn't protect Edward's back, and what if Edward wasn't really that good?). For whatever reason the moviemakers had, and regardless of how legitimate the reason for needing the dramatic tension was, the difference between the books and the movies is pretty stark.

As far as the overall TONE of the movies and books, I'd say the movies got it pretty close. TW - joyous discovery, NM - depressing (rightfully so), EC - confusing and detached (if you've seen my EC comments elsewhere, you'll understand my description), BD1 - joy followed by horror. Eclipse was one of my least favorite books, even as it has some of the best lines and best scenes in the series. For myself, though, there seemed to be an emotional detachment in EC that was mirroring Bella's indecision even as she was convinced the decision was already made (confusion).

So, you had those differences between the movies, but they existed in the books as well.

I am curious about other people's reactions to the movies. I've seen them many times, but Eclipse the least. If TW or NM happen to be on when I'm scanning around with the remote, I might watch them. With EC, though, I usually don't. It isn't a conscious rejection of that movie, I just don't enjoy it that much. Maybe it's because I'm never convinced by the actors that there is romance between Bella and Jacob, but then I wasn't really convinced by the book either. You can only have so much chemistry to give, and Rob and Kristen took it all with none left over for Taylor.

Now, if I had to characterize BD2, I would have to say Freedom and HEA followed by a bizarre plot and climax. Good scenes, followed by emotional detachment, once again ("good" red-eyed vampires, everyone is special, the battle that wasn't). In that regard, I hope BD2 is better than the book ending. I considered that the weakest part of the whole series, but if the movie is weak too, then I guess it would at least be consistent.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

After spending this weekend in Forks, and surrounding areas, I've noticed a few things that were inconsistent between movies. Some really large and some minor enough to not be noticed much. These are in no certain order, just as I'm remembering them. Thank you for this thread!

Most obvious for me; Bella's bite mark on the wrong side of her wrist! In Twilight James bites her on the outside of her right wrist. Meaning the side opposite her thumb. In both movies (NM and EC) her bite is on the inside below her thumb...
Think of the scene where Jacob is holding her hand in her room in NM when he comes to apologize and try to get her to remember. Then in EC, in the meadow with Edward, her bite is in the same place. And to make matters worse; it's not on her wrist at ALL in BD...at least not when Edward hears the baby and she has both hands on her "belly".

The Cullens have a pool in NM? During the voting scene there's a pool outside the doors behind the family. I didn't notice until this past weekend, because it looked natural in the scene. Then you think...It's Forks...Washington where it rains 363 days out of the year...so a pool wouldn't be needed for one thing and for the Cullen's to have one just seems strange.

In TW, Edward basically tells Bella what the change is like, unlike in the book where he didn't want her to know the mechanics of it. Then he still asks Alice if she can "keep her thoughts to herself" when they are headed to Arizona.

Of course, leaving out Jasper's completely in TW just to throw it in NM.
Carlisle mentioned Jacob's accelerated healing in EC but that's the only mention of it and there's no explaination as to why he has it. Having read the books, we know it's a "wolf thing" but my darling husband has pointed some of these out to me.

"Jasper, no fair with the mood control thing." My husband, "What mood control thing?"
"...before his accelerated healing kicks in...it's already started." My husband, "Accelerated healing?"

The graduation cap display is different in BD from TW. In TW there are a lot of brighter colors in the caps, in BD it's more subdued.

There seems to be a scene missing when Bella gets on the motorcycle the first time...she's looking off across the field and then it's like she realizes where she is...

TW when Bella calls her mother from the car on her way to Arizona, she leaves a message on her cell phone. James calls her cell phone from her mother's home, but he couldn't have heard the message...

In EC when they are getting ready to go to the camp site, Edward comments that she's not wearing her ring. Then at the end, in the meadow, she tells him she's going to need the ring.

This next is not really an inconsistency but it's always bothered me. Bella looks up the Indian legend to find a bookstore with the legends in them. Uses the book to find one word that she then researches on the internet. Now, I know why the scene played out the way it did, but really...was all that necessary?

I'll post more later. I have a list but I've hidden it on my table. :blush:
Grayce
velvet409
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by velvet409 »

Grayce~

Just wanted to give my thoughts about a couple of items on your list.

In the Twilight movie when Edward told Alice to keep her thoughts to herself, he could have been referring to the vision Alice had of Bella becoming a vampire. He could have been telling Alice to keep her opinion regarding that topic to herself as well.

Also, James didn't need to hear Bella's message to Renee. Even if he had, the message was pretty cryptic and didn't really give any useful information. He did hear the conversation between Bella and Charlie before she took off. Once he realized he was being misled by the Cullens, he had Victoria go to the school and find Bella's address in Phoenix. He then broke into Renee's house, called Bella and told her a story about having her mother in order to lure her to the ballet studio.
Banner by TammyAZ
"Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch."
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

*stumbles in this threat and glare at Openhome* why can't we discus the disaster that is called Cullen Hair!!!! :think: *breaks out in laughter*.... No I won't discus the hair!!! enough is said about that!!!! ;)

anyway, one of the biggest annoyances I had is the change of cars.... did you all notice that Edward went through 3 cars in a period of less than two years!!!! The first car was good! fast, low, small and shiny, jsut as SM described... than Volvo steps in and have Edward drive in a monster...as sleek as the car looks it isn't the fast speedy car Edward has!!! and than in BD they come up with a better idea and have them drive in a sleeker Volvo but please it's a executive car, not a car for a vampire... (not to mention the honeymoon started with the Aston Martin!!!!)

also the color in the movies differs... TW had a blueish layer over it. it was so bad that I wondered if it was my DVD player not cooperating properly. for MN they went with a more Yellow/Golden look, it worked a lot better. but the proper balance was found in Eclipse when the color layers seemed to be more soft and not distinctive.
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Violet Sunlight »

Greetings to All,

Firstly, sorry about the long post. :blush:

Overall I loved BD1 and so far it is my favorite Twilight movie. NM was my favorite movie before BD1 came out but, I love weddings and especially in movies. Though, IMO, I do believe the tone of NM was very close to the book, as was BD1, compared to TW and EC. For me, the first time I saw BD1, it made me tear more times than I can count. These are some, not all, of the touching moments in BD1 for me: when Renee sees Bella getting ready and she tears; Bella’s walk down the aisle with Charlie; Bella tearing up to see Jacob at the wedding reception; Bella finding out she is pregnant and realizing she is a mother when she is standing in front of the mirror; and towards the end of the movie, when Bella dies and Edward is still trying to bring her back.

I also, thought Jacob & Renesmee’s imprinting moment was so well done. And we even got to see the little girl, Renesmee (Mackenzie Foy) in the vision and I thought it was so cool how they showed the older version of Renesmee too. Though, in the BD book, I don’t think that the imprinting moment was portrayed like that. Oh well, it turned out great anyway. These are just some of the scenes that were touching for me. I think there were others but, I can’t think of them right now. Oh, I also loved all the scenes on Isle Esme. One inconsistency I noticed in Isle Esme was when Bella says something like, "how many days has it been since the wedding?" in the book Edward says 17 days, however, in the movie Edward says 14 days. Not a big deal for me but, an inconsistency with the book nonetheless. As you can probably tell, I basically love the whole movie. :D

Okay, back to inconsistencies in the movies, I think all the Twilight movies have way too many inconsistencies with the books, so I am just going to mention the ones that stand out for me. I am also only going to mention BD1 inconsistencies right now, I can’t pull myself away from watching BD1 to start watching the other Twilight films again right now.

Inconsistencies I LOVED in BD1:
1. Edward’s rogue-years-flashback. The mention of Edward’s rogue years was in the TW book not in the BD book. Also, though the film “Frankenstein” was released in 1931, the film “The Bride Of Frankenstein” (which was the one in BD1) was released in 1935. As per the Twilight books and/or guide, Edward’s rogue-years were from 1927-1931. It is impossible for red-eyed-Edward to be in that theatre, watching that movie, and hunting criminals, vampire-style. However, I did love that they had that piece of that movie in BD1. It was very symbolic to the gist of what was going to happen by the end of BD1 and the scream that came from the Bride of Frankenstein was the fear that Edward had, which was that Bella would not love him once she was a vampire. Also, I noticed that the Bride of Frankenstein was changed at the end of her respective film as well. Just like Bella in BD1. And thankfully we know Bella will not have the same reaction that the Bride of Frankenstein had to Frankenstein. Nevertheless, again, very well done. :clap:

2. All the funny speeches and toasts, not in the book but, I like that they are in BD1. :lol: I also, loved Edward’s sentimental toast also, not in the book but in the movie. :D

3. In BD1, when Jessica and company are standing by the huge cake and they comment to Alice something like, “No, it is not too much”. Again, not in the book but soo funny. :lol:

4. The Denali Clan, I really liked that Irina came to the wedding, though in the book she did not. Also, though she was there, not in the best of moods, I did love her dress and her hair. And of course, it made sense to have her come and make an appearance and air out her feelings about what happened to Laurent in preparation for what is to come in BD2. I also, loved that Carmen took Bella’s face and kissed her on each side of her cheeks, it was soo the Spanish thing to do and I love Carmen’s accent too. Though, this too was not in the book.

5. At the wedding reception, when Bella is with Jacob and Jacob twirls her around, both times, I noticed Bella is wearing sneakers. I thought it was cute, in a sporty-casual kind-of-way she did that, though, in the book Bella does not wear sneakers at the wedding reception.

6. In BD the wedding ceremony takes place in the house and the reception takes place outside the house. In BD1 everything takes place outside. I like that it was done that way, everything seemed so fairytale-like. Just beautiful. Plus, in the book there were less than 30 people at the wedding, in BD1 there were over 100 people, consequently, it did make more sense to do it the way they did.

7. In the BD book, at the end of the wedding reception, Alice got Bella into a “blue going-away ensemble”. However, in BD1 Bella wears a beige dress. I really liked the beige dress, I think it is Bill Condon who says something like, “the dress is timeless”, meaning if we watch the movie 10 or 20 years from now the dress is still going to look good. I agree.

8. In the BD book, there was no chess playing in the honeymoon. But, there was in the movie. I liked that they did that, it was cute and I liked how they brought in the cover of the book into the movie, just like the TW movie.

9. I liked how towards the end of the movie, when Bella was burning/transforming, she had flashbacks of her life. Again, not how the book did it, but I really liked that it was done in BD1.

10. In BD2 in the Target clip, though Bella does not have yellow eyes in the BD book, I like that we get a chance to see her as a red-eyed-vampire and as a yellow-eyed-vampire before the movie is over.

Inconsistencies I did NOT like in BD1: :rant: :blush:
1. Bella does not have a wedding band in the BD book, she only has her engagement ring which is also used as her wedding ring. I wanted the ring that Edward gave her in EC to be the only ring that would ever be on her left ring finger. The wedding band just kills the effect for me.

2. At the wedding reception, there was no father-daughter dance; no cutting the cake; no throwing the garter and no throwing the bouquet. They could have least had Bella throw the bouquet. They probably did not have time in the movie to fit all of this in, but still, I wanted to see it.

3. Okay, I don’t think the book mentions Bella and Edward saying there full names in their wedding vows, but I wanted to see it in BD1.

4. At the wedding reception, in the BD book, Tanya was a little forward towards Edward, which made Edward introduce Bella as his wife for the first time. However, in BD1, Tanya was not flirty or forward, consequently, Edward did not have a reason to introduce Bella as his wife for the first time or say, “Tanya, this is my Bella”.

5. The Denali Clan: I did not like Kate’s one line, “We’ve heard so much about you”. Though, in the book, Kate did only have one line, she said, “Keep the dream alive”. In the book Kate is portrayed as having a spunky and/or sassy personality. The line she said in the movie just doesn’t portray Kate’s personality well for me. Also, I don’t see why they could not put strawberry tints on Tanya’s hair. I didn’t need anything too pronounced, two subtle streaks of light pink would have sufficed. There are so many blonds in the movie, it would have been nice to have something different. I mean really, I don’t see how two light pink streaks of highlights were going to hurt Tanya’s appearance at all.

6. The Cullen Crest in the movies. I know this is not part of the books only the movies. But, I only saw the Cullen Crest in the first scene of BD1 and it was only worn by Edward, Emmett and I think Jasper. I did not notice the females wearing the crest. Though, later on in the movie, Alice and Esme did wear necklaces that had pendants, but the pendants were too small for me to see if it was the Cullen Crest. If BD1 was consistent in bringing in Bella’s violet bedding, Jacob’s dream-catcher 18th birthday present to Bella and Renee’s hand-made blanket that was Bella’s graduation present, I think they should have kept the Cullen Crest in more than one scene and worn, at least, by the majority of them. I think the Cullen Crest was worn in almost every scene by almost all the Cullens in the previous films. I did not expect them to wear it the day of the wedding and maybe not in the honeymoon, but once they got back to the house I expected them all to wear it and I even expected Bella to get one too. Well maybe she will get one in BD2 when she is a vampire.

7. No headaches for Alice when she is near pregnant Bella. I don’t know why, I just did not like that this part was not put in BD1.

8. Right now, I don’t like the dress they put on burning/transforming-Bella towards the end of the movie. The color is okay. But, in the book Alice put her in a pale blue satin dress. The dress from the movie seems too conservative, almost too business-like. I was hoping for a cocktail satin-style dress, either in pale blue or the electric blue and/or royal blue in the movie. But, maybe the dress from the movie will grow on me in BD2.
Last edited by Violet Sunlight on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Just watched it for the first time on Blu-Ray and caught something I hadn't before, a within movie inconsistency. In the book, Bella falls and the baby injures her somehow, but her back isn't broken until she's on the delivery table and has been given morphine - hence Jacob's line, "She won't feel anything now!" Or something like that. In the movie she breaks her back when she falls - either that or she's got a hinge there - check out the footage, her back bends at a 90-degree angle backwards. Then they give her morphine on the delivery table and Edward says no, wait for it to spread. Now, I don't mind that they changed it a bit for the movie, but by breaking her spine earlier, they eliminated any reason to give her morphine - she shouldn't be feeling her entire pelvic region anyway. Anybody else notice that?

Another movie bit that is inconsistent with vampire lore - Edward comes out to fight with his face and shirt covered with blood, standing next to Jasper. Huh? Jasper? Wouldn't Edward at least have taken his shirt off and wiped his face quickly, so as to provide Jasper with minimal distraction? (Ah ... undershirted or shirtless Dadward ... now I'm distracted.)

An inconsistency that I liked: not having to waste movie time watching Jacob drive to Seattle and back.

Please God, Cullen hair will at least be consistent across BD1 and BD2!
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Violet Sunlight »

To ~ smitten_by_twilight

Great catch. I did not notice the whole Bella's broken back and morphine logic before. Bella should have never said “ow, ow, ow” or screamed when Rosalie cut her open. You are right, Bella should not have felt anything due to her broken back.

In regards to Jasper, yeah it doesn’t make sense for Edward to be near Jasper with so much blood on him. Maybe Edward was banking on Jasper’s survival instincts to be distraction enough and make Jasper stay sane. Plus, I think Edward was not in his right state of mind at that moment and he was kind of in a hurry.

Also, another movie inconsistency I liked, I’m glad BD1 stayed at a pg-13 rating and did not have Bella throwing up a fountain of blood or Edward sealing up her wounds with his venom.
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

velvet409 wrote:In the Twilight movie when Edward told Alice to keep her thoughts to herself, he could have been referring to the vision Alice had of Bella becoming a vampire. He could have been telling Alice to keep her opinion regarding that topic to herself as well.
I thought this was odd since Alice didn't express her opinion in the movie, it made the comment seem out of place. A lot of these inconsistencies in the movies I have noticed because of having to explain things to my husband.
velvet409 wrote: Also, James didn't need to hear Bella's message to Renee. Even if he had, the message was pretty cryptic and didn't really give any useful information. He did hear the conversation between Bella and Charlie before she took off. Once he realized he was being misled by the Cullens, he had Victoria go to the school and find Bella's address in Phoenix. He then broke into Renee's house, called Bella and told her a story about having her mother in order to lure her to the ballet studio.
My only thought about the phone call is this: Maybe it's just me, but if James had been breaking into my home, he would have been SOL. There are no phone numbers written anywhere in my house. I have everyone's phone numbers and addresses in cell, since I don't have a home phone so it was a little confusing without the "answering machine line" from the book.

Also, I did notice the change in the bone breaking scene for Bella but I admit I didn't realize why it seemed wrong to leave out the "order" of her injuries. In the book Edward says he has to get the baby out and then the "shattering crack" and Edward just says, "Her spine," he choked in horror. Yes, that was when Jacob tells him to get the baby out of her because she "won't feel anything now". Although I do believe the movie did it justice, the book was much more heartwrenching. But then again, the books are usually better. I thought they did a great job on the birth scene but I thought the blood and gunk on the baby and then around Edward's mouth was an odd color.
smitten_by_twilight wrote:Please God, Cullen hair will at least be consistent across BD1 and BD2!

I'm sure the hair will be consistent between BD 1 & 2 because if you will remember, they filmed both movies and then split it up. Except for Bella's hair...which will be...well...better in part 2! :D
Grayce
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Violet Sunlight wrote:In regards to Jasper, yeah it doesn’t make sense for Edward to be near Jasper with so much blood on him. Maybe Edward was banking on Jasper’s survival instincts to be distraction enough and make Jasper stay sane. Plus, I think Edward was not in his right state of mind at that moment and he was kind of in a hurry.
I never given it any thought but yes, it would be impossible for Jasper to stand so close to Edward. In NM 1 drop of blood was enough for Jasper to loose it, and Ewdard has always pointed out that Bella's blood smells good and not just to him. and for survival instincts, 6 grown up vampires in NM wasn't enough to keep Jasper from attacking Bella... so I think the survival theory is moot...
smitten_by_twilight wrote:In the book, Bella falls and the baby injures her somehow, but her back isn't broken until she's on the delivery table and has been given morphine - hence Jacob's line, "She won't feel anything now!" Or something like that. In the movie she breaks her back when she falls - either that or she's got a hinge there - check out the footage, her back bends at a 90-degree angle backwards.
I didn't understand why they did in it there in the scene. It would have been better to have it done like in the book but I think it was the alternative to Bella vomiting blood. that wouldn't have gone well with the ratings...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house