Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Tornado »

Regarding SM as a producer, I think most fans are in agreement that this wasn't the best move. It would be different if the scripts had been more faithful to the novels in their depictions of certain things. But, they weren't. So, especially for SM to swing in and try to drag the films kicking and screaming back on to that track is kind of like using scotch tape to fix a hole in the boat.
SM has said that she was virtually a producer on Eclipse, so I don't know if it's a case of her coming in at the last minute. She has certainly been involved all the way along, and from what I have gathered in interviews her involvement has only increased.

I must confess I wasn't pleased with Eclipse, but I felt that the other two movies were good adaptations of the books, considering the difficulties (as has already been mentioned) in turning a book into a movie. It's not an easy task. I was worried about Eclipse from the outset, as I felt that David Slade was an unsuitable selection for director. Once I saw the finished product I felt I was justified in my worry. However, I think Bill Condon has a bit more of an understanding than Slade had. The trailer is suggesting that, anyway. So I am growing in confidence that BD will be a good movie.
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

After reading so many of these comments, I feel like someone finally understands me! When interviews of the fans are done and considered to be the general consensus, a lot of times you get pretty PC answers like Eclipse was the best, the films get better each year, and the films do the books justice. I just do not feel the same. Twilight was my favorite film because while yes Hardwicke was out there and it was low budget, it stayed true to the concept and essence of the books, the romance between Edward and Bella, but all that has changed. MR as a screenplay writer is something I wish they would have changed from the beginning. She is in love with Jacob or Taylor or both and it shows through the films. This need to make Taylor a star based on his abs is just ridiculous and I actually like Taylor, just not how they have represented him. New Moon was okay for being New Moon. It was sad and full of angst so I did not expect much, but Eclipse disappointed me so much. They did not just add scenes....sorry but I was not one of the people in love with all the Seattle newborn nonsense.....they also changed the personalities of the characters. Bella, Edward, and Jacob were almost unrecognizable in their actions at times. In the book, I feared what Jacob would do when he got angry and impulsive. The film did not harness those emotions at all.

With Breaking Dawn, I am worried about the same things. Too much Jacob shirtless, not enough Cullens, Bella, or Edward. I think this one is scarier because it is such a controversial book in the fandom. The imprinting is not a fave part of mine to read, let alone see, so I hope they handle that with care. Only time will tell if SM is a good producer but I agree with Tornado. She has been pretty hands on even if not officially in the past so we shall see how it all goes down.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Just to add that I am now worried about BD, having seen the Jacob wolf pack clip from Comic Con. Didn't like the staging or the acting, or where they're taking Jake's character. I'm no Jacob fan normally, but if he is definitely planning to kill the baby at that point, then he is stooping a bit low. I guess it could be argued that he always wanted to kill it, so maybe it's not that great a stretch, but to cuddle up to the Cullens just so he can be around to kill the baby? It seems wrong in terms of his character to put the emphasis on that rather than on saving Bella.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Did you see clips?! where?

still can't find good clips...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I haven't seen the honeymoon clip, only a poor quality version of the wolf pack clip. I've only just discovered, watching another video, that they tell people not to tape them. Do they honestly think they're not going to? And how is that fair? I'd really love to go to Comic Con, but, I've got to tell you, the commute from Australia is a killer! And why should I be penalised because I live in another country? Why show the clips at all if the rest of us aren't supposed to see them yet? :rant:
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I can't find a clip of what they showed period.

I think it's kinda lame that unless you went to Comic Con, you can't see the clips. No all of us can afford tickets down to San Diego or to Comic Con. And some of us (aka me) aren't impressed with Summit's marketing tactic by still making Jacob as important as Edward and Bella. I expect I'll filp-flop a couple more times before settling on not going depending on the merchandise and marketing used for BD1.

Tornado wrote:Just to add that I am now worried about BD, having seen the Jacob wolf pack clip from Comic Con. Didn't like the staging or the acting, or where they're taking Jake's character. I'm no Jacob fan normally, but if he is definitely planning to kill the baby at that point, then he is stooping a bit low. I guess it could be argued that he always wanted to kill it, so maybe it's not that great a stretch, but to cuddle up to the Cullens just so he can be around to kill the baby? It seems wrong in terms of his character to put the emphasis on that rather than on saving Bella.
I would think that with both SM and MR being pro-Jacob and pro-wolf pack, something like this is the last thing I expected to hear was in the movie.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I've never thought of anyone as pro-Jacob or wolf-pack per se, simply that they put them to more use than they had in the books. Jacob is a useful "object" (!) for creating tension between Bella and Edward, and adding conflict. In a visual medium, those kinds of things often need to be used to a greater extent than they are in books, because of the lack of narration.

In most cases, I thought what they did with his character in the movies was for this reason, and most of it (apart from the wretched motorcycle scene) I didn't have a problem with. Even the motorcycle scene was just because it was a quick and easy way to get Bella to La Push for the next scene, although apparently MR also thinks it makes Bella look strong and independent, rather than reactionary and childish. Even so, I don't think it had much to do with giving Jacob more scenes. And toning down some aspects of his character was necessary in that one, because he was so repellent in the novel version of Eclipse.

I guess that explains what they're doing in this one. Rather than have Jacob just stand around and make snarky comments, they're making him into some kind of spy, although I'm guessing that he'll say that he wasn't serious. And maybe he isn't. We're probably meant to be left guessing, and it's an easy way to explain what he intends when he walks up to Renesmee after the birth, rather than having to explain it (again, no narration). Now everyone knows what he's doing, because he's said so.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Tornado wrote: I'd really love to go to Comic Con, but, I've got to tell you, the commute from Australia is a killer! And why should I be penalised because I live in another country? Why show the clips at all if the rest of us aren't supposed to see them yet? :rant:
I totally feel the same...going to comic-con is impossible from Holland... so they either show the clips or organize comic-con style parties in the rest of the world!
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, at least with the MTV ones we could watch that on their website, or see it there straight after. These clips shouldn't be for the exclusive viewing of Comic Con patrons. It's not our fault we can't go!
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

This is why I don't like some elements of the fandom--not only did they criticize Kristen (her shirt) and Rob (hair cut) to some extent at Comic Con (though most were understanding and didn't care too much about either thing), even calling them spoiled and stupid, some people still don't understand that the movie isn't gonna be exactly like the book--somethings in a movie can be explained easier than in the book, but some things in the book are by the same token explained better or are easier to present.

I'm not aiming this comment at people like Tornado and Marielle and others who know what's what (which is most people here), but the people who don't even do some rudimentary research before they see the films and complain about being confused and befuddled afterwards.

I just don't get it with some of these people--you have a computer, book stores and libraries, and friends, do some research. I don't get it about people who don't understand stuff about the movie because they didn't read the book or even bother to look stuff up on Wikipedia--freakin' Wikipedia! It might be crap even as far as cliff notes go, but it's better than being completely uninformed. That, of course, goes for movie rewiewers, too. I know that Kristen might be your darling (and mine, too), but consider the crap that she's been given and the source material--The Twilight Saga novels were written with the fans in mind, but aren't the absolute best stories ever written, and so, to an extent, are the movies.

However, I do think at times that MR should've either have been let go or demoted/teamed with someone else. Her style of writing might fit a 60 minute long crime dramedy aimed at adults, but not a 2+ hour long supernatural romance film aimed at teens.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/