Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: Worried about Eclipse?

Post by pennybug84 »

DramaPrincezz013 wrote:Eclipse is a dark book as far as the newborn army/Victoria stuff (which is pretty dark when you consider detatched vamp body parts flying everywhere), but also it has to do with Bella's turmoil and the ultimate decision of life (Jake) and death (Edward). Bella goes through a ton of pain and confusion in this book--almost as much as New Moon. Then there is also Rosalie's and Jasper's pasts that are going to be told, which have depressing themes. I think Eclipse is going to be a step up as far as the darkness and the mature themes and situations. Now I haven't seen any of David Slade's movies either, but this is probobly why they brought him in.
Good explanation it makes sense. Thanks. For some reason I've always had a hard time w/finding themes, symbolisms, etc when reading books (even back in school. I think that's why I've always had a hard time understanding Shakespeare!)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Phena
Settled in Forks

Post by Phena »

"But,regardless, the book still centers around the love story of Edward and Bella. That is ALWAYS at the center. Or at least, it should be. And that's the part that's worrisome." Jazz Girl.

I think Stephanie has a lot to say about what happens in the movie's even if it is not what the director is thinking, DS may want to take the movie and turn it into a horror flick, that will draw the men in, but we need to realize what Jazz Girl is saying. It is always about Bell and Edward no matter what, that is what fans want to see and I think that is what the studio will bring. We can always pick it apart but it will never be as good as what we see when we are reading the books and hopefully when it is brought to screen we can enjoy it as much as we do when we read the book. I can only hope for this and if I don't like what I see I'll just read the book again and try and shed some light on what I see from the director, if not I won't watch it again, I'll read the books and be happy with my own interpretation.
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

I honestly think the B/E relationship will be fine. More action and a wider male audience won't hurt anyone. As a matter of fact, having read the book so many times, it would be cool seeing someone else's perspective and a new twist on the story. But, again, I'm sure the true story will firmly remain, and Bella and Edward will be fine. I will not judge until I atleast see a trailer.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

From EW.com...

Summit Entertainment, the studio behind the uber-successful Twilight series, confirmed this morning that it has replaced Eclipse editor Art Jones with Nancy Richardson, the editor of Catherine Hardwicke’s original Twilight film. The studio is not placing blame on Jones, who previously worked with Eclipse director David Slade on his horror film 30 Days of Night as well as Slade’s Ellen Page-starrer Hard Candy. They do believe, however, that Slade’s material – which they call “very good” – needed a stronger edit. The studio has more confidence in Richardson, who they say understands the emotion of the characters and is an ace at balancing action with the other elements of the film.

"Understand the emotion of the characters and is an ace at balancing action with other elements..." Hmmmmmm, well that sounds promising. *headdesk* You'll have to excuse me if the fact that they went from a director who understood the emotional impact of certain scenes so well that he wrote them back into the script to a director who is clearly struggling with anything emotional at all and has to turn to a new editor to help really is NOT inspiring any confidence for me. *slapsforehead*
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Caryn, I don't know what to think of that summit statement.

I wasn't so happy with Twilight and how it was edited... I mean almost all the funstuuf was left out...
and why change the editor now...it like 119 days away from premiere...
I don't know, It got me a bit worried actually...

I'd rather they starting to release more info about the movie, and the soundtrack then this....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
despoina92
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by despoina92 »

The whole replacement thing got me worried, too. I'm a fan of DS (Hard Candy is among my faves as a movie and his vids are awesome) and found the editing in HC edgy, but really good. I kind of think it would work for Eclipse. It would bring a whole new perspective. On the other hand, I'm not quite fond of the Twilight editing (agreed, Marielle, left all the good things out and it was also like... I go from here, there... I can't find the Englisg expression for that), though I love it in Thirteen, so I guess it could be the case here, too. But, I'm considering why they're doing this. I mean, there must be something very wrong with the material they so in order to fire him. Or they just to make the movie as mainstream as possible. The Summit statement is clearly for publicity only. There can't be nothing wrong with the guy. He just didn't serve the movie's purpose well enough, so they kicked him out.

Caryn, I think (well, mostly hope hope) that DS could have done a good work in Eclipse. He can do well in an action packed-movie, as well as in an electified, high-tension drama based solely on two characters. Those kind of things can work for Eclipse, and I want to be positive for it, though I know romance is not DS main field. Eclipse is my favorite and I don't want it to be ruined. Having CW for this one could be great, agreed. But he's not there and someone quite different is in this one. Like DramaPrincezz013 said, I'm not worried about the center of the story at all. People in Summit know well that the main audience of the movies are people that are mostly interested in the E/B romance. No J/E or vampire wars as mch as they care for the two main characters. So any extremely different take on the story is a huge no no for them. And I think they would acknowledge it to any director they'd have very well.

I don't know if any of you are HP fans, but this franchise met many different directors, too. Alfonso Cuaron was the most different among them. I don't know for the rest, but PoA, though my least favorite book, is my favorite movie because of the different way Cuaron handled and delivered the material. He made it an eye candy, for sure and gave justice to the book, even though he had no previous experience in the genre. That's why I think we should be more confident towards the new things that happen with Eclipse. I'm not even sure if all those is for good. I'm pretty much worried it will be heavier than it already is and I really hope it won't.

After watching the trailer, I'm sure we will be able to speak safer about what we expect and what we will probably like/dislike in it. Less than 10 days left, so let's be patient ;) Anyone knows if the trailer will be shown in front of Remember Me world wide, or is this only for the US?
dazzledBrit
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dazzledBrit »

despoina92 wrote: After watching the trailer, I'm sure we will be able to speak safer about what we expect and what we will probably like/dislike in it. Less than 10 days left, so let's be patient ;) Anyone knows if the trailer will be shown in front of Remember Me world wide, or is this only for the US?
I'm assuming it will be shown before RM worldwide, but it will be released online the day RM hits theatres in the US, so I'll see it online first for sure (RM isn't in cinemas here till April 2).
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

dazzledBrit wrote:
despoina92 wrote: After watching the trailer, I'm sure we will be able to speak safer about what we expect and what we will probably like/dislike in it. Less than 10 days left, so let's be patient ;) Anyone knows if the trailer will be shown in front of Remember Me world wide, or is this only for the US?
I'm assuming it will be shown before RM worldwide, but it will be released online the day RM hits theatres in the US, so I'll see it online first for sure (RM isn't in cinemas here till April 2).
Linz~ I'm willing to bet that the trailer will go viral by the noon showing of RM on Friday. Summit won't be happy about it, but once its in wide release, that's just the reality of it. So, even our friends in Europe will be able to enjoy the trailer when it is released in 9 days time.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I don't know how I feel about them going back to the editor of Twilight. (Granted I don't know exactly how the movie making process works BUT) I was not a fan of the fast pace editing of Twilight. For me that was one of the problems w/it, it moved too fast & didn't develop B & E's relationship. One minute he's acting very rude to her & the next they're in love (this was probably part of the scripts fault as well.) But with it being so close to the premiere why would they change the editor? I guess I'm just going to have to try & not let this worry me too much & wait until I see the first trailer & hope that will help dispell some fears I have (but if the trailer is going to premiere in less than 2 weeks would the new editor have anything to do with that?) Man questions questions.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Ok so I was writing decent length responses and then my computer crashed...
so again I try

Jazz Girl wrote:Linz~ I'm willing to bet that the trailer will go viral by the noon showing of RM on Friday. Summit won't be happy about it, but once its in wide release, that's just the reality of it. So, even our friends in Europe will be able to enjoy the trailer when it is released in 9 days time.
I can't believe it's only 9 days....I'm getting really exited now...
and Linz, I don't think you should worry much about seeing it later, because I don't think that will happen... as I said before a lot of fansites are promissing to post the trailer ASAP, so I trust that that will be in 9 or 10 days...
despoina92 wrote:I don't know if any of you are HP fans, but this franchise met many different directors, too. Alfonso Cuaron was the most different among them. I don't know for the rest, but PoA, though my least favorite book, is my favorite movie because of the different way Cuaron handled and delivered the material. He made it an eye candy, for sure and gave justice to the book, even though he had no previous experience in the genre.
Deb, first of I can't believe you didn't like PoA book...I thought that was the first really good book in the series...
and yes the movie was different then the first two, although it wasn't complete (I missed a lot from the book that I thought had to be in it) I loved it..... mostly because Gary Oldman was in it :twisted:
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house