Chapter 30: Irresistible

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 30: Irresistible

Post by Alphie »

Thanks go out to Ladi Di for her help with this chapter.

1) Evaluate Bella’s “fight plan”. What are the advantages? What are the flaws? Has she forgotten anyone or anything else to consider?

2) Bella is shocked to learn that Eleazar was with the Volturi, but Edward points out “the Volturi aren’t supposed to be the villains, the way they seem to you. They are the foundation of our peace and civilization.” Can you think of any other organizations or groups that are hated by some and admired by others? How do they compare?

3) What persuades the Denali clan to agree to stay and witness? To what extent did the other strategies that Bella, Edward, Nessie and Jake use help (or hinder) their cause?

4) Why is Tanya eager to sacrifice her life for the Cullens? What do you think of her reasons?
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 30: Irresistible

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1) Evaluate Bella’s “fight plan”. What are the advantages? What are the flaws? Has she forgotten anyone or anything else to consider?
i didn't ever think that her plan for "flight" would work very well in the first place. i do think that she hasnt taken into consideration the effect it would have on the future of the ones she loves fully.

2) Bella is shocked to learn that Eleazar was with the Volturi, but Edward points out “the Volturi aren’t supposed to be the villains, the way they seem to you. They are the foundation of our peace and civilization.” Can you think of any other organizations or groups that are hated by some and admired by others? How do they compare?
um, i can see bella's point of view how she saw the volturi as evil. i mean they might've killed edward so.... but i can see how they might be the good guys. they do help keep everything in balance effectively. um, no, i cant think of any organization like that right now! :?

3) What persuades the Denali clan to agree to stay and witness? To what extent did the other strategies that Bella, Edward, Nessie and Jake use help (or hinder) their cause?
i think the fact that elazar and carmen were able to get along with nessie and that carlisle was involved helpped the persuation. i know that if it was just kate or tanya it would take a bit more to persuade them that it was worth it.

4) Why is Tanya eager to sacrifice her life for the Cullens? What do you think of her reasons?
i cant really. only that she might want to right irina's wrong and prove that it was a misunderstanding. *shrugs* i'd be interested to see kate's reasoning though.
Betting on Alice.
Aradia
Wandering Through Town
Location: Trying to think of a way to enter into my books...where I can have the perfect guy!

Post by Aradia »

I'm not to sure, she could of done anything different. She doesn't know too much so that hinders her to pick and choose who to fight. And she has to consider her family and who they would want. The adavantages she has by thinking out a "fight plan" is she is ready for 2 different outcomes..1. They don't stop and witness..and 2. They do stop. So therefore she knows either way what could happen. Its always good to know what to except.

I'm not sure.. I think with any form of power..there is always going to be people who hate them and people who love them.

I don't think anything presuades them exactly, they figured out the truth and they stayed to help family they love. I think the strategies worked well, and I'm glad that Jacob stayed in view because 2 introductions...1 to Nessie and 1 to Jacob...would of been a toll on the visiting vamps.

She feels guilty for Irina mistake, for both accounts. Its not excatly the best reasons, she should be doing it out of love for the Cullens but I'm sure that is rooted somewhere in there too.

Jace Lightwood, Edward Cullen, Ian O'Shea, and Jasper Cullen.....these are the only men I need in my life!
Hyvanna
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Hyvanna »

Advantages is Jane cant harm Bella with her gift, and Bella has newborn strength, Flaws are Alec's gift Bella may not be immune to it, Bella is not trained to fight, and All the Voturi are comeing they will be outnumbered weather or not Jane -n- Alec are trained to fight at this point in time they only have the Wolfpack then themselves. Forgotten and things to consider would be the rest of the guards and the wifes skills. Most important how to get Renesmee away if a battle starts.

The Police, Like Edward said only crimanls think the Volturi's is evil, Bella reminds him they arn't crimanls. so the Cullens are sorta say wanting their "Day in Court" before being incrimanated for a crime they didn't do.

Renesmee's Heartbeat. Their strategies for sure Helped because if Edward would have just had , Tanya, Kate, Carmen and Eleazar in without asking them to hear what they hear an smell what they smell before showing Renesmee, Tanya and Kate for sure would have bolted, prolly Carmen, Eleazar tho a nice vampire would maybe have attacked thinking he needed to protect Carmen.

She feels they owe the Cullens for what Irina has done and for not helping them with the newborns.
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

If Bella were able to take out Alec and some others to help her family it would give them a better chance. However, she knows nothing about fighting and there is an extremely slim chance that she'll be able to take them down because they are so much older than she is. Has she forgotten anyone? O just the other members of the guard who are not going to be far from the ones shes trying to take down lol. Yea...this would not have ended well for the Cullens lol.

Hahahaha um while George Bush was president?! Much of the country hated the man because things were going down hill quickly, yet the hard core republicans supported him (at least for a while lol). Bush was the leader of the free world so people thought he must be ok. Just like vampires thought the Volturi were doing what was right for their kind and they supported their decisions...even if they weren't always right.

They were all for staying until they found out that Nessie was the reason for the war. When they finally listened to what Nessie had to say they decided to stay. Knowing that Nessie was Bella and Edward's biological daughter ahd to also persuade them.

She considers herself part of the Cullen family and would be willing to help them when the time came. She also feels bad for the way Irina behaved when the newborns were running wild as well as for tattling to the Volturi. I think she has valid reasons for staying to help the Cullens. However, she should realize that what Irina did wasn't actually her fault.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) Evaluate Bella’s “fight plan”. What are the advantages? What are the flaws? Has she forgotten anyone or anything else to consider? I don't think it would have worked or turned out well at all. She's not a fighter & doens't really know yet how to fight & use her powers for that. I don't think she's considered the fact the whole Volturi (wives and all are coming) and that they could be greatly outnumbered.

2) Bella is shocked to learn that Eleazar was with the Volturi, but Edward points out “the Volturi aren’t supposed to be the villains, the way they seem to you. They are the foundation of our peace and civilization.” Can you think of any other organizations or groups that are hated by some and admired by others? How do they compare? I can't really think of any current groups, the only thing that came to mind was back in WWII with the Nazis.

3) What persuades the Denali clan to agree to stay and witness? To what extent did the other strategies that Bella, Edward, Nessie and Jake use help (or hinder) their cause? I think it's because they do see the Cullens as family and Renesmee is just so adorable she won them over.

4) Why is Tanya eager to sacrifice her life for the Cullens? What do you think of her reasons? I think it's because she feels bad about what Irinia has done (plus she might still feel guilty for not helping them when the asked for it to fight against the newborn army.)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Flaws are huuuuge. She's only able to attack one person, and by the time she reaches Alec, he will be defending himself and I'm sure the other Voltrui will attack her all at once. If she can get Alec and distract him from blinding the others it will work, but I doubt the Volturi are so slow and weak.

Hyvanna said it perfectly!

Edward was able to read their minds to know if they would attack and what they're thinking. Edward somewhat made them feel guilty about the last fight when they didn't help out. I think the main reason they were persuaded was because of Renesmee herself,.. she seems to be very irresistable.. lol

Renesmee must have this special gift that makes everyone fall in love with her,.. Maybe she's making up for the last fight, or maybe they just consider the Cullens that much family they would be there for them in their time of need.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Bella's just not a fighter... It probably wouldn't have worked.

The Roman Catholic Church. Many Catholics love them, but there are a lot of people who despise them, too.

The visions Renesmee showed the Denali clan convinced them to stay. I can't really think of what the other strategies used were, since it was mainly Renesmee that convinced them.

She feels guilty for what Irina did as well as not helping with the newborns.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think it's sound reasoning considering she knows she cannot be effected by Jane, Alec, or Demetri's skills.

Al Qaeda springs to mind. Similar thing, although I think the Volturi are clear with how evil they are under the surface, whereas Al Qaeda operatives believe that they are on the side of right.

Being convinced of the reality of Renesmee's existence, combined with the need to stand with their extended family, is what convinced them.

I think she is mortified that a betrayal by her sister has caused all this, especially when she knows that Irina's original problem with the Cullens was really unjustified.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Can't remember it right now.

Can't think of anything specific right now.

It was good the way they did it.

I think because she wants to make up for Irina's betrayal?