Chapter 29: Defection

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 29: Defection

Post by Alphie »

Nissanmam deserves the credit for this one! Many thanks!

1. Were you surprised by the LaPush wolves granting passage to Alice and Jasper or their willingness to stand with the Cullens?

2. J. Jenks is not a name we’ve heard in any of the three previous books, but seems to be very important to Alice. Why do you think Alice was so secretive about making sure Bella was the only one to learn J. Jenks name?

3. Edward enters the cottage after only 13 seconds when Bella has asked for 30. Does Edward not trust Bella? What does this say about his self-control and new relationship with Bella since she became a vampire?

4. Should Renesmee be shielded from what’s going on around her, because of her, as Bella wants, or should she be told everything as Jacob does?

5. Do you think Bella’s gloomy reasoning is sound or should she be more optimistic like Emmett and the rest of the Cullens?
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 29: Defection

Post by sazykid »

1. Were you surprised by the LaPush wolves granting passage to Alice and Jasper or their willingness to stand with the Cullens?
No, I wasn't surprised by either. The wolves had no idea anything was wrong and they were trying to keep the peace with the vampires by letting Alice and Jasper pass. They were also willing to stand with the Cullens because of Nessie. Jacob imprinted on her, so she is as much part of the warewolf family as she is the Cullen family. The wolves wanted to protect her as much as the Cullens did.

2. J. Jenks is not a name we’ve heard in any of the three previous books, but seems to be very important to Alice. Why do you think Alice was so secretive about making sure Bella was the only one to learn J. Jenks name?
Well if you've read the book you know why she was so secretive; she didn't want Edward to know. However, when I read this the first time I had no idea who he was or why he was important. I figured Alice only wanted Bella to know and that this J. Jenks would be able to help them somehow.

3. Edward enters the cottage after only 13 seconds when Bella has asked for 30. Does Edward not trust Bella? What does this say about his self-control and new relationship with Bella since she became a vampire?
It's not at all that he does not trust her. He loves her and he's scared of losing her so he wants to spend every available second with her. It hurts them to be away from each other so he goes to find her. Edward is free to love Bella the way he would if she had always been a vampire so he doesn't need as much self-control, there's no reason for it. It just shows that he wants to be with her and protect her like he always has.

4. Should Renesmee be shielded from what’s going on around her, because of her, as Bella wants, or should she be told everything as Jacob does?
I think she needs a combination of both. No one should have put on them the weight of knowing that, because of them, their whole family is in trouble. Especially not a small child. However, she does need to understand that people don't understand her and so they are going to meet her and try to make things right again. Edward knows she shouldn't have all of this put on her and he would want to protect her; he can hear all of her thoughts maybe he should have told her!

5. Do you think Bella’s gloomy reasoning is sound or should she be more optimistic like Emmett and the rest of the Cullens?
I don't blame Bella for being gloomy at all. Everyone she loves is in jeopardy. She is so freaked out that she can't see any other outcome; she doesn't want to get her hopes up. However, she should have more faith in the Cullens. They are strong and have faithful friends, so things could go better than she thinks they will.
Hyvanna

Post by Hyvanna »

Yes on the passage thro Lapush even tho Jacob imprinted on Nessie it would seem they still wouldn't want them on their land "just to be safe" :roll: . Not a bit surpised that they was willing to stand with them, to them they are protecting a brother and the object of his imprinting.

Simple noone can hear / see her thoughts.

He worries about Bella, I wouldn't say he don't trust her, I think he was more worried about her state of mind then if she was up to something. self control an relationship only got stronger after her change

Yes she should be told everything.

I think the gloom helps Bella, Bella is a natual worrier and thro her worrying it help her protect not only herself but others around.
kerry211
Settled in Forks

Post by kerry211 »

Not really, Alice can be very persuasive as can Jasper and they didn't want to stay on La Push, just pass through. After the closing working together during the events of Eclipse, I think Sam has a degree of respect for the Cullens

Alice knows that Bella is the only one who can hide anything from Aro so she is the logical choice. Bella will do anything to protect her family and Alice knows she has the tenacity to find out what J Jenks is all about

Of course Edward trusts Bella but he also can't bear to let her out of his sight for any length of time, especially with the danger that they now find themselves in. To Edward 13 secs probably seemed like a lifetime

Yes, I think she should. Renesmee may be highly intelligent and aware but she's still a child and any mother would want to protect their child from worry

Bella has always been tormented by nightmares of the Volturi since first meeting them in Italy. She's seen first hand what they are capable of, unlike some of the Cullens such as Esme, Emmett and Rosalie. I've always thought that Bella has a degree of precognition and is more intuitive and aware than she realises { She talks about Renee's intuition, Bella's inherited a bit of it I reckon}. She thinks that her worst fears are being realised when the Volturi are on their way. Another side of it is that Bella doesn't believe she deserves all the happiness she now has with Edward and Renesmee and is just waiting for it all to be taken away from her.
ImageImage[/img]
Twilight is my obsession..my horses, my other passion!
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

yes, i was actually. but i think that after the whole birth issures, they all seemed to know and maybe even trust each other a bit more.

i thought it was because edward couldnt know anything. she wouldnt have been so secrative if edward could know, and bella was right for keeping it from him.

he's being edward. worried and cautious about bella....EVEN THOUGH SHE'S A VAMPIRE!! but, thats just how he rolls.

she has a right to know. it would be nice to keep things from her, but i think it was for the better.

i wouldve tried to be a little optomistic, but keeping my gloominess in balence, if i were her. bella is a different story, and she reacted the she does.
Betting on Alice.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Were you surprised by the LaPush wolves granting passage to Alice and Jasper or their willingness to stand with the Cullens? I wasn't really surprised by either. For the most part they've been getting along since the newborn fight. And we know they will do anything & fight with the Cullens to protect the community around them.

2. J. Jenks is not a name we’ve heard in any of the three previous books, but seems to be very important to Alice. Why do you think Alice was so secretive about making sure Bella was the only one to learn J. Jenks name? Well she must not have wanted Edward to know. For some reason he's important but only Bella needs the info.

3. Edward enters the cottage after only 13 seconds when Bella has asked for 30. Does Edward not trust Bella? What does this say about his self-control and new relationship with Bella since she became a vampire? It's not that he doesn't trust her, he just wants to be with her every second that they can since it looks like they don't have much time together. I think his self control could be affected some because now like Bella said they can love each other equally since she was turned. He just wants to be with her.

4. Should Renesmee be shielded from what’s going on around her, because of her, as Bella wants, or should she be told everything as Jacob does? I can see whay Bella wants to sheild her she's just a baby/young child whatever you want to call her. She shouldn't have to know everything thats going on. Sounds like it's now Jacob's turn to give his "love" everything she wants.

5. Do you think Bella’s gloomy reasoning is sound or should she be more optimistic like Emmett and the rest of the Cullens? Bella being gloomy, is just Bella being Bella (just like the newborn fight in Eclipse.) I don't blame her for worrying. She finally is truely happy, has her family and it looks like that is going to be taken away from her.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

Not really. The Cullens have proved theirselves in the past as in not to ask something if it wasn't important. I don't think the wolves would doubt this fairly unharming request.

For 2 reasons. Alice didn't wanted anyone else, specially Edward to know. And reason 2: Alice knew that Bella had to make any of the decisions on her own, so she wants to leave everything up to her.

We all know Edwards down-side is his over controlling over Bella. I don't think it's about not trusting her, it's more about making sure she's safe and I do think he misses her every second of the way. But that way he also invades her privacy and I do feel that's a very annoying character of Edward.

I don't think she should need to know everything. She is a child and shouldn't be burried with things to worry about. But I do think some vital things about herself should've been told.

I do think the Cullens (except Emmet, he's purely and optimist) worry more then they let shine out for Bella's sake. There is no should or shouldn't in Bella case because she can't help being who she is. She is and always will be a worrier.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

No, because Jacob imprinted on Nessie, so the pack saw it as their obligation to make sure that she was safe.

Because Bella was the only one who could keep it a secret. Aro couldn't read her mind. And Bella going alone to J. Jenks was the only way to make sure that Nessie had a chance of surviving if things ended badly for the Cullens.

He definitely trusts her. It has nothing to do with lack of trust. Edward just missed his wife, and wanted to spend every moment with her. He had been worried sick about for a long time, and they were finally free to be together, so he didn't want to waste time.

She shouldn't be told everything. It is important the she understands that what is happening is not her fault, that it just that some people have got the wrong impression of her. So they need to inform her about what is going on with caution, and also remember that is just a kid, even though she is at higher developmental stage than most kids.

No, that's just Bella. She worries, and especially now that they finally had it all, and everything can just fall apart. She had every right to be gloomy for a while.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Kind of surprised,.. Surprised that they weren't more suspicious as to why they wouldn't just find another way around the treaty line and leave.

It must have something to do with the whole reading mind thing. Something nobody should know about, because otherwise Alice could have left it for anyone.

He is still overly cautious with Bella,.. but he does trust her. They both just admitted that it was hard to imagine the other one leave. And plus 13 seconds to them is like 30 minutes to us I imagine. He probably heard her throw the book in the fire and was confused and went in.

Eh, she's still a child. She doesn't need to be worried,.. not yet anyway.

It's her family that is going to die. Her daughter is the cause of all of this, of course she's going to be feeling a lot of doubt and worry for them
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Yes, I was surprised by that... I thought they'd be more suspicious, of everyone.

I honestly had no clue.

He's still pretty overprotective of her, haha.

I think she should be told what's going on. She's going to need to understand.

I think she has reason to be gloomy, as it is a pretty big deal for her. She doesn't understand the Volturi quite as well to know if she could fight them, like the others do.