Chapter 19: Burning

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 19: Burning

Post by Alphie »

Una, once again, has come through for us! Many thanks!

1. What were your feelings while reading this chapter? Was Bella’s transformation what you expected, how so?

2. It seems the pain of the transition cannot be lessened. Knowing this, would you be willing to undergo this transition? If Bella had known what the morphine would do, would she have still undergone the transition using the morphine?

3. Once this is over, do you think Bella will ever tell Edward about the morphine, her transition? How do you think Edward would have reacted if Bella had cried out?

4. Why do you feel Edward kept the baby from the room when Bella awakes?
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 19: Burning

Post by opulent »

Hey, Alphie, that's a good question about the morphine. I think Bella still would have used the morphine even she had previously known the effect it would have on her. Remember, she found the strength to keep herself quiet only once she started to actually feel herself becoming a vampire, in other words, once the morphine wore off. So if you read between the lines, it is implied that she could not have prevented herself from screaming without the morphine helping her along at first. She didn't want to cry out, for Edward's sake. So any help she had in that department probably would have been welcome.

And would I undergo the transition? I can't honestly say, since I doubt I can even imagine pain that intense. However, if I was Bella, and knowing that this was my only chance to have a "normal" and equal relationship with Edward, my guess is yes, I would still do it.

And I don't think Bella will tell Edward. Remember, he "will never forgive himself" for the emotional pain that he caused her when he left her. Can you imagine how much he would torture himself - even a thousand years later?- if she told him the truth? That she felt agony? Edward's first reaction would probably be to blame himself. That is exactly the reason Bella didn't want to show him her suffering in the first place, because it would cause him to suffer in return. The same thing would have happened if Bella had cried out - he would torture himself.
"Plus que ma propre vie."
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

1. What were your feelings while reading this chapter? Was Bella’s transformation what you expected, how so?
It was exactly how I expected it. Because we've heard by a few of the other vampires that theres this excruciating buring.. so it didn't come to a shock to me. I found the transformation rather interesting.

2. It seems the pain of the transition cannot be lessened. Knowing this, would you be willing to undergo this transition? If Bella had known what the morphine would do, would she have still undergone the transition using the morphine?
I think i'd undergo it. Because I'd be mentally prepared, and I'd know that it would be over soon. Mind over matter. I think Bella may have had seconds thoughts about it, but then confirmed that she wants to be with Edward forever - and would do anything for it.

3. Once this is over, do you think Bella will ever tell Edward about the morphine, her transition? How do you think Edward would have reacted if Bella had cried out?
I don't think she'll tell him. If she did - he'd just feel awful and apologise 24/7 and try to make it up to her and feel depressed that she had to go through that blaa blaa. If Bella had cried out, he would've panicked and blame himself ofcourse. Blame himself for putting Bella through it and being selfish. Good ol' typical Edward.

I never once thought that Bella would hurt Nessie, so I didn't really know. I just thought it was so she could get used to being a vampire.. or maybe that the baby might've not been what she would expect so she'd get freaked out. I wasn't sure at first.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

This chapter was intense for me lol. It was like I was feeling the burning right along with Bella. I was getting anxious for her to wake up, and I remember wishing someone would just say what time it was or what day it was while she was under lol. I was just as frustrated as Bella was when no one would give her a time refrence. I guess her transformation was what I thought it would be. I had forgotten that everyone else was awake for their transformation, but I was glad that Bella wasn't really awake so Edward wouldn't be too upset by it.

I guess if the love of my life was immortal and the only way I could be with him forever was to make the change, I would probably do it. I think she would have used the morphine. She knew there was nothing that would easethe pain of the transition and she wouldn't have wanted to put Edward through watching her in such pain...especially when he didn't really want her to go through that to begin with.

I doubt she'd ever tell Edward. She mentions that she should tell Carlisle about it for future refrence, but no not Edward. Edward would have been in just as much pain as she was. He fought so hard to make her change her mind about the transition that seeing her in that much pain would have made him feel horrible. He would have been apologizing to her for centuries.

I'd be willing to bet that some of the reason for keeping the baby away was because Jacob was freaking out. But, no one knew how Bella would react when she woke up so it might have been dangerous for the baby to be near. The baby is half human and no one knew what she would smell like to Bella, so they were just being cautious with the baby and Bella.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

No, it wasn't. and honestly, I was a tiny bit disappointed. I don't believe someone could have kept so quiet during all that pain she experienced. Of course, I'm over that now because I have no room to be disappointed in something I didn't create. But other than that, the chapter was intense and saddening and painful.

I think she would have... not using the morphine, necessarily, but she would have still done it. To be with Edward, to be his age... and to be with her little daughter. I probably would have if I were in Bella's shoes, but otherwise I don't think so.

I don't think she'll ever tell him. I think he would have groaned and whispered to her... really the only thing he could have done. He would not have left the room, though.

Blood. The bloodlust for a new vampire is too much, and there is blood coarsing through Renesmee's veins.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

I thought it was really intense and I was really impatient for her to wake up. I was upset with Alice and Edward for not giving any time refference. It was as I expected it to be, painfull and intense.

Of course Bella would have done it with the morphine, just for Edward's sake. And also, she couldn't grasp how painfull it would be so she wouldn't think twice about it.
If I was in Bella shoes I would have done it. To be with my immortal boyfriend and daughter forever. I think that is worth the pain. And also, I don't think I can even imagine the pain. I would still underestimate it, and once I would feel it, it would be to late.

No way, she won't tell him. Knowing Edward, he probably would be apologizing for the rest of his existence.She would want him to have some peace of mind. He already blames himself for so many things, If he would know, it would take him 2000 years of so to be really happy again.

For the safety of course. He didn't know at first about Bella's super self-control, he wouldn't risk the life of his daughter.It was better to wait.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. What were your feelings while reading this chapter? Was Bella’s transformation what you expected, how so? I wasn't really sure what to expect for Bella's transformation. It was kind of cool to read it & know what she was going through.

2. It seems the pain of the transition cannot be lessened. Knowing this, would you be willing to undergo this transition? If Bella had known what the morphine would do, would she have still undergone the transition using the morphine? If I was in Bella's position & wanting to be with the one person in the world who I loved and was my soul mate,then yes I would do it. Yes she would use the morphine, for Edward so he knows she at least has something to help with the pain.

3. Once this is over, do you think Bella will ever tell Edward about the morphine, her transition? How do you think Edward would have reacted if Bella had cried out? I don't think she'll ever tell Edward about her transition. She doesn't want him to know how much pain she was really in. If he knew he would blame himself & hate himself for putting her through that, like he does with everything.

4. Why do you feel Edward kept the baby from the room when Bella awakes? He didn't know how Bella was going to react when she woke up & if she would do anything.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I was kind of tense during this chapter. I was wondering how she would cope with the transformation, and when she would wake up and what she would be like. It went pretty much the way I expected. I expected the morphine to have little effect on that kind of pain. And it was very typical of Bella to always try and protect Edward, so she kept her mouth shut during the whole thing.

I would be willing to do it, if I was in Bella's position and the love of my existence was an immortal and I wanted to be with him more than anything in the world. I think Bella would have used the morphine even if she had known the effects of it. It left her completely unable to move. She was sort of trapped inside her body during the transformation. But I still think she would have used it, because she wanted to protect Edward. She wanted him to believe that the pain wasn't that bad.

Bella will never tell Edward about the morphine or anything about her transition. She wants to protect him from that. If she had cried out in pain, I think Edward would have really beaten himself up about. He would have growled, and been angry with himself. It would have taken him a long time to forgive himself for putting her through that.

It would be very irresponsible of Edward not to have his daughter out of the room when Bella wakes up as newborn vampire. Nessie has a beating heart and circulation. She could possibly be a temptation to Bella, even if you don't think a mother could hurt her child. Edward didn't know what state Bella would be in when she woke up.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I honestly thought the transformation itself would be much more dramatic -- especially considering how Bella reacted the first time she had venom in her system in the ballet studio. I thought the description itself was dramatic, but I was surprised that all the drama occurred in Bella's head.

If I were Bella, I probably would've undergone the transition knowing what it would feel like but also being assured that I would be with my love once it was over -- pain is just temporary. Bella would have undergone the transition no matter what. If she felt like the morphine would make Edward feel better about the change, she would've done it.

No. I don't think she will tell Edward about how it felt at all. He was already opposed enough to it AND felt guilty enough that it was (in his view) his fault she had to be transformed. If Bella reacted in any way to the pain, Edward would have been even more tortured than each time she got injured when she was pregnant.

They weren't sure how she was going to react to all the changes -- or how bloodthirsty she would be as a newborn. They wanted to keep the baby safe, because the family loves her but also because of how Bella would feel in the aftermath if she hurt the baby.

Image Image Image
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I thought she'd be screaming and twitching like she was in Twilight. But she wasn't and I still nearly cry reading what Edward is saying.

Like Bella, I suspect I could do anything for Edward. Probably not, unless she was dedicated to keeping Edward from knowing what was going on, like she became in the second part of her transformation.

If she didn't right away, I don't think she will. She wants to keep him from knowing what really happened. He so hates causing her pain. He would have been so much more heartbroken and kicking himself again for "allowing" this to happen if Bella had cried out.

Because he doesn't know how Bella's going to be when she wakes up.