Chapter 18: There Are No Words For This

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Chapter 18: There Are No Words For This

Post by openfire »

1. Rosalie showed amazing control and willingness to assist at the beginning of this ordeal. What do you think made her slip? What aid can Carlisle give on the phone?
I think Rosalie slipped due to all the blood, and the fact that she had not fed in a long time so she would have been very very thirsty!
Carlisle could help them by telling them what to look out for etc during the surgery, and espcially help if something went wrong!!

2. When Rosalie mentions caring for Renesmee “until Bella…” why do you think she stopped? What do you think Rosalie is feeling and hoping for?
I'm not sure. I hope it was "until Bella wakes up", but I think it might have been "until Bella...dies". I think Rosalie would be very excited mto finally have a baby, and wishing it were her own. So this makes me think she would not care if Balla did in fact die.

3. Edward is amazing in his trying to save both Renesmee and Bella. How do you think he is able to do it? What do you think is running through his mind?
I think if he stopped to think about what is actually going on, he would fall to pieces. He does great! I think he is only concerned with making sure Bella is ok, and then the baby. He showed such wonderful skill and determination here.

4. During the ordeal, is Jacob trying to save Bella as a human or vampire? How do you think Jacob feels when he hears Bella’s heart changing?
I think he sees how bad she is, and just hopes he can save Bella. I think by this point he is past caring if she is a vampire or not; at least she would still be here is she were a vampire! He just desparately wants to keep her here. I'm assuming that when he hears it changing, he knows that she's not gonna die, and that she will become a vampire.

5. How do you interpret the feelings that Jacob has over Renesmee? Do you feel that his connection to Bella was fate’s way of keeping him near his future imprinte? What clues, if any, foreshadowed this event?
I'm not sure. I figured it out just near where you actually find out...I was very very shocked!! I think near the end, the "Pull" for one another they had while she was pregnant was to do with Renesmee, but before that I really don't know.

Can I just say, this chapter is AMAZING!! It's just so fast-paced, and while reading it my heart is pounding, and I keep forgetting to breathe. Wow. Just, wow.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

1. Rosalie showed amazing control and willingness to assist at the beginning of this ordeal. What do you think made her slip? What aid can Carlisle give on the phone?
I was surprised she made it as far as she did, I almost forgot like oh yeah,.. they're vampires for a minute. But she is a vampire, so she can only go so far. She was almost so much more concerned for the baby, she probably wasn't as focused as Edward. Carlisle could have somewhat given them direction while it was all happening, and what to do.

2. When Rosalie mentions caring for Renesmee “until Bella…” why do you think she stopped? What do you think Rosalie is feeling and hoping for?
That Bella will die! She seemed a lot more in control when she came back, so maybe she was feeling a little bad about what she did.. maybe she was hoping Bella would make it now that the baby had come out.

3. Edward is amazing in his trying to save both Renesmee and Bella. How do you think he is able to do it? What do you think is running through his mind?
I think foremost he is concerned for Bella, and he is trying to save the baby also because he knows how much it loves Bella, regardless of what it had done to her. He is just so focused, Jacob mentioned several times about how Edward was coming off as a machine, because he wasn't feeling or thinking about the blood, he just wanted to save them both.

4. During the ordeal, is Jacob trying to save Bella as a human or vampire? How do you think Jacob feels when he hears Bella’s heart changing?
I'm sure he felt happy, he knew what was going to happen and he knew Edward was injecting her with venom, Jacob just wanted to save her anyway that was possible.

5. How do you interpret the feelings that Jacob has over Renesmee? Do you feel that his connection to Bella was fate’s way of keeping him near his future imprinte? What clues, if any, foreshadowed this event?
At first, I was so obsorbed I don't read this correctly, I just thought he was having such powerful feelings because of Bella, I didn't realize he imprinted on her! lol I wasn't the only one who did that though, so I didn't feel so dumb. But now that I know, there are so many ways that show he is connected to Bella through this. Several times he talks about a pull towards Bella and how it was growing the more and more the baby grew inside of her, obviously I didn't realize at the time.. lol
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Most likely the smell of human blood, where to cut and what not.

she stoped so she wouldn't say wakes up or something along those lines, and she hopes to keep Renesmee for her own

He loves both of them :) and thats what save them he wants Bealla to live sense she is the love of his existance and Renesmee is their child so she must live too.

Either way I think Jake wants Bella to live. He must be sad :(

I thought once Renesmee was well umm out of Bella any feelings of attraction he had for her went away, there had always been that part of Bella that Jaked loved and that part is now Renesmee. Him following her and leaving Bella is a clue.
**Kathryn**
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

am re-reading BD for the 15th time and have just finished this part thought itd be fun to answer these questions :)
i think as everyone has said it was the sheer amount of blood and the fact that she hasn't been around that much in a long while, i guess since she got to Royce and his mates :lol: plus she's never fed from a human before just killed, so i guess that much blood was just maybe to much temptation. i think the one thing that kept her "amazing control and willingness to assist" was her focusing on the end prize she just wanted Renesmee, don't get me wrong i do like Rosalie as a character but as she states in telling her backstory in Eclipse she really did long for her own little family. as for Carlisles help via phone im not sure that it would be anything practical as he isnt there and can't see exactly what is going on, he couldve possibly given vague help

i think it was definitely because she didn't want to finish the sentence either way. i mean Bella lives+she doesnt get Renesmee all to herself, Bella died and she would have the baby to herself most likely, i would imagine that she would've been hoping for Edward to slightly resent Renesmee as well as himself for playing a part in killing Bella, although obviously had that happened Edward would not be "too far behind" in the dying as he states constantly throughout the saga.

Bella is basically his entire reason for being so i guess that is what hes focusing on and the fact that by this point he has realised that he loves Renesmee as well. He's trying to grasp onto the fact that even if Bella cannot live human he will hopefully be able to save her by changing her into a vampire, and once he has safely got Renesmee out, he can focus on this with Jakes help

i think to begin with hes set on saving her human, but as things appear to be deteriating i think he just wants to keep her whichever way possible, as he has now seen that vampires can be good people and have personalities etc. When he hears Bellas heart changing i think its kind of relief he feels but at the same time sadness, i guess its fear of the unknown not knowing exactly how it will turn out

i think whilst Renesmee it is like a big brother or an uncle i think its kind of like the feelings Quil feels for Claire, im not going to lie i did find it creepy the first time i read the book :lol: but in the end i think its kind of sweet. As for his connection to Bella being fates way of keeping him near his future imprintee im not sure really i mean at one point i did think this, the part where he says something like "the pull was gone from her now the pull came from somewhere else down the stairs through the door" but then it could also be interpretted that he said this because he believes Bella to be dead. Foreshadowing/clues, well you could say the fact that he hadn't imprinted on Bella was a tiny clue, and then well the fact that he can't bare to be away from her but it was always like that between Bella and him in "normal" circumstances anyway, and the well obviously the point when Rosalie takes Renesmee out of the room and Jake says he can feel heat and that nothing felt hot to him ever and then the pull coming from somewhere else now.
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
caellach
Settled in Forks

Post by caellach »

I don't think Rosalie was ready for the reality of the blood situation. She was intent on being there to get her hands on the baby and didn't take into consideration the condition Bella's body would be in. Carlisle would be the voice of reason, giving instruction, encouragement, help in case of emergency, etc.

"Until Bella is able to care for Renesmee without killing her." I think Rosalie was expecting to be 'mom' for at least a year as Bella adjusted to being a newborn vampire.

Determination and love. Two very powerful emotions. He was determined that both should live. As soon as Renesmee was safely out, all of his attention was on keeping Bella alive. He was the hero, definitely.

Jacob is definitely wanting to save Bella as a human. He knew that she would be dead to him as soon as her heart began to change. She would no longer be his friend and love.

I think the imprinting was definitely foreshadowed, especially if you go through and read the book a second time. Whereas in the beginning of Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, he was able to stay away from Bella. After seeing her pregnant, he was unable to stay away for long periods. He had to 'get another hit'. He needed to be there for what he thought was Bella, but was really the imprinting already pulling him in.
TeamBellaAllTheWay
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamBellaAllTheWay »

I didn't really like the whole Jacob-imprinting-on-Renesmee thing to be honest. Jacob doesn't like the fact that he's a werewolf - he hates self-control and most importantly, choice, being taken away from him. He is in love with Bella, and despite the unbearable pain he feels, he appreciates the fact that he fell in love with Bella because he knew her, she was his best friend etc, rather than some unexplained force tying you to a person you've never met.
Jacob's attitude towards imprinting is very cynical throughout the series, and in a way I think it is sort of cheating - the way SM just allowed him to escape his pain by making him imprint. I always thought of Jacob as a very human, real, down-to-earth sort of character. Pain is a part of life - people have to deal with it, get over it and heal. This way just seems like SM was trying to give everyone a happy ending: Jacob suddenly gets over Bella, Jacob and Edward can be friends, Bella is a vampire, everyone's happy. What about the long-lasting PAIN AND SUFFERING? Shouldn't Jacob have to deal with his emotions more and heal? It made me a bit sad but I always thought, in a way, Jacob's feelings for Bella are more real than somebody who has imprinted because they are ordinary, human feelings that come about because of spending time with someone and getting to know them. The whole imprinting thing makes it look like Jacob just had a slight crush on Bella, but he didn't. He thought he could never get over her. And who knows, if he hadn't imprinted on Renesee, maybe he never would. I'm not evil, I want him to be happy but the ending just seems like its been made for everyone to be happy.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

She was willing to help Bella through with her pregnancy -- her control and willingness didn't surprise me. Carlisle could probably give them instructions on the precedure over the phone.

She was hoping for Bella to live, but she knew there was a possibility that she wouldn't. She didn't end her sentence because she didn't want to make a prediction too early.

He's able to do it because he loves both of them. He was probably imagining the three of them together, using that as his motivation to save them.

As a human. He was probably sad when he heard her heart changing, as there's still a part of him that wishes Bella wouldn't be a vampire, but he was probaby happy too, since she was okay.

I think that the interaction with Lizzie foreshadowed this, since Lizzie's appearance was similar to that of Renesmee when she got a little older. I didn't think that his feelings for Renesmee were romantic just yet -- it was a pure, compassionate type of love. And yeah, I do think that his connection with Bella foreshadowed this.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Too much blood, I'd say. I'm guessing Carlisle's going to direct her with the caesarean, not to mention with how to extract a vampire baby while doing as little damage to Bella as possible.

I think it's because she's not sure if Bella's even going to survive. It's unclear whether this is her hope, although I'd say so, and she's probably worried she'll feel too much hope if she suggests that Bella will die, because she knows that Edward will probably kill her, not to mention that he is Renesmee's father and will have final say, and can ban her from having anything to do with her if he chooses.

Singleminded determination, coupled with the fact that he has learned to resist the call of Bella's blood because the thought of it killing her is too much for him. This would only increase his ability to resist at this point, because her life is in the balance in so many ways. The only thing he is thinking of is how to save her.

I don't think he cares at this point. After all, he is the one who prompts Edward to begin the transformation. I'm not sure he would have been thinking too much about Bella when he hears her heart changing, as he's just imprinted, and I'm sure he's too busy working through what the hell's going on with that.

Yes, I felt that the pull has been because of Renesmee. There were plenty of clues: how the two of them still couldn't bear to be apart in spite of how Bella feels about Edward, and of course, Jake's comment about her attraction being related to her "expanding girth". Pretty clear indicators that the baby is a factor.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Carlisle can talk them through the labor. Rose slipped because of the blood, obviously.

I thought she paused because they weren't sure yet whether Bella would survive.

He must only be thinking about losing the love of his life. How else could he control himself?

He has already accepted that Bella won't make it out alive as human, so he's just trying to save her, no matter what. But he must have felt defeated when she actually 'died'.

I'm going by the first time I read this book and I didn't even get that he imprinted on Renesmee at this point :oops: