Chapter 9: Sure As Hell Didn't See That One Coming

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 9: Sure As Hell Didn't See That One Coming

Post by Alphie »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body?

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue?

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that?
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Chapter 9: Sure As Hell Didn't See That One Coming

Post by ringswraith »

Alphie wrote:1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?
Not exactly. I felt for him, could see where he was coming from, but he was very emotional- he wasn't able to see reason due to his feelings for Bella. It did concern me that he was going- I was afraid of the outcome.
Alphie wrote:2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body?
I kind of guessed that the pregnancy would be rapid- after all, she already felt the bulge in her belly mere days after they consummated their marriage. Her frailty I did not expect- until I understood that they were unable to nourish both Bella and fetus, it didn't click in my head as to why she was so weak.
Alphie wrote:3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue?
When Bella called Rosalie in the earlier chapters, I knew immediately what was going to happen. Rosalie would make sure Bella got her wish- everything else be damned.

As far as Edward's take on the family situation, it seemed to be very accurate given their personalities.
Alphie wrote:4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?
I think Edward was correct in saying Jacob understood Bella better. After all, Jacob caught on to what happened in the family pretty quickly, barely needing Edward's explanations.

I also think poor Edward was thinking about too many things at once, and not a single one of them being the possibility that Bella would want to keep the child. All he wanted was for her to be safe, and to him the "thing" inside her was a threat, and the sooner it was out, the better.
Alphie wrote:5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that?
Highly probable, although I'm not sure what the rest of the Cullens or the Pack would say to that. If it were purely up to Edward and Jacob, I honestly believe Edward would let Jacob kill him. Bella would be dead, Edward would see no point to living... Jacob would be sort of doing him a favor, while getting a measure of revenge.

Brutal, isn't it?
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders?
Yeah, i think he was justified. i think i would have reacted the same way. this is the girl he loves; he's not going to be worrying too much about sam's silly little orders.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body?
I was scared. last time we saw bella she was pregnant, but healthy and just fine. now, she's practically dead. i was kind of surprised about the rapid growth, but i figured the pregnancy would be far from normal what with edward being a vamp and all.

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue?
I didnt like how bella asked her to help her. her and edward need to learn that there is something called communication. bella shouldnt have made her decision by herself, gather 'protectors', and turn against her own husband. this is his kid too- he deserves a freakin say. and for the second part, i was very sad for edward when he said that. he's just all broken and frustrated and giving up.

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?
I didnt know why edward said that about jake understanding bella better. jake doesnt know bella at all, barely, in my opinion, compared to edward. shes edward's wife for christ's sake, not jake's.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that? I liked their agreement. i love the fact that edward would willingly have himself killed, at the hands of the guy he hates most no less, for bella. but i was hoping it wouldnt come to that. if bella died, the rest of the book would just be this downward spiral into complete misery.
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I don't think it was every about justifying it. Jacob was not thinking clearly or being rational - that's not him. He was acting on instincts, beliefs, and his heart - like he always does. I don't think you can judge the rightness or wrongness of an act like that, because his motives were not about right and wrong. I can't ever say there's something wrong with loving someone like that.

This question is...? Of course her body reacted strangely. She had a being inside of her that was not only part of the supernatural world, but much stronger than her. It was going to do some damage - she has nothing but a fragile, human body. Isn't the delicate and highly dangerous balance of coexisisting kind of the point of this whole story? It only would have been unbelievable if she would have been glowing,fat, and rosy-cheeked while she kept a bloodthirsty half-vampire in her uterus for nine months.

I wasn't surprised that she turned to Rose - despite any discomfort in their relationship, Bella was desperate to save her "nudger," and she felt Rose was her best hope at that point. I was only surprised that she didn't turn to Esme more - she too is maternal, and would most likely understand Bella. I was surprised that she seemed to rely solely on Rose. I think the division in the family makes sense - I think it's realistic for a family of strong personalities to all stand their ground for different reasons. It would have been interesting tno see it come to a fight - I can't picture Edward trying to rip off Rosalie's head while Emmett yanks off his legs, etc.

Edward never gives himself enough credit, and his standards are nothing short of perfection. He lets one thing slip by in a moment of intensity and he believes he has failed. I do believe that Edward knows Bella better than anyone - but that Jacob just knows her in a different way. Jacob knows her as a very caring best friend. Edward knows her as someone who hasn't had her off his mind for more than a minute after meeting her. He has basically become consumed with her - and it's been his number one priority in life to study her and figure out every thought, analyze every action. It's his mission in life to know her, and he has perfected that because his love for her is only equalled by his fascination. It's just that he was too close to the pregnancy situation to see it only from Bella's perspective. He was too consumed with having his greatest fear realized once again - that he had done something to put her on death's doorstep once again.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that?

I thought it was a little dramatic, but I think in the sense of dependency on a partner, immortals are weaker than humans. They don't move on the way a human does - even if it is just as agonizing. A human can pick up the pieces and begin again one day. But since the vampires are frozen in time, when they fall in love, there's no changing that - they have frozen their hearts on that course. If their love is gone, it's like their soul is gone, and there is nothing left. So I am not surprised that Edward was planning on dying if Bella did. That he asked Jacob...well I feel like that might have been as a gift to Jacob - giving him the "you were right all along" satisfaction, and allowing him to commit the one act that might help satisfy his anger.
Last edited by ForJazz926 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

I don't think he should have done that, he was not respecting Bella's wishes.

I expected it to be bad, but probably not that bad and that it took so fast for her to deteriorate like that. The baby was literally sucking the life out of her.

I knew Bella would ask Rosalie to help, out of all of them, as she knows Rose is a fanatic. The way the family was divided kinda did not make sense, since I thought they mostly turned to Carlisle for the lead, so I was surprised to see how Rose and Emmett defied him.

In a way Jake does understand her better, friends can connect in a way lovers don't. Jake has seen her in her best and worse, and can relate to her better, being a human and all.

I hoped it would not come to that. But if Bella had died, I would want Jake to help Edward end himself, as I don't want Edward to suffer.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
flow_3
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by flow_3 »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders? No, but i also understand him.. i would have acted the same

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body? I knew she wasn't going to die, but as a reader i could feel her pain ..

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue? yes, i was surprised but then everything made sense... i felt mad that his family was divided.

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better?I agree, Jacob is bella's best friend.. A best friend understands you better than a boyfriend.. Edward was correct.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that? No, i knew bella was gonna survive but i liked their agreement :D
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-No, I think that what Jacob was planning to do when he went to the Cullens house was totally unjustifed. If he had gone there like to talk, it would've been a different story.

-Yes! I was shocked. I was mad that the baby was like doing this to her and I was like almost siding with Edward because of what it was doing to Bella. Of course, I love Renesmee now thought ! Haha.

-I was just kind of suprised that Bella would choose Rose to help protect her; they'd never been close. Edwards explaination however just made me sad.

-I do and don't agree with that statement. I felt Edward was not himself during Bellas pregnancy, therefore his thoughts were "clouded". And while I do think Jake does know Bella really well, I don't think he understands her better, he just understands her well.

-At first I was like "if Jacob goes throught with that I'll never forgive him" but then I was like, there's no way that will happen, its Edward ! He can't die!
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders? Since Sam told him not to I didn't think he was justified. He was too emotionally involved to think straight.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body? I was way surprised that she would look so sick & she was so big already. I was concerned on how she was going to be okay.

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue? I was surprised how quickly & drasticallly Bella & Rosalie's relationship changed. I was a little surprised onthe division but it made some sense after Edward's reaction

I agree and disagree. Edward was just so worried about Bella and what was going to happen that his thoughts were somewhat clouded. They both know her really well, but I don't think Jacob knows her better.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that? It didn't surprise me after what almost happened in NM that he would want that. I wouldn't have wanted Edward to suffer & be so miserable (especially because he would blame himself) but I was pretty sure it wouldn't come to that.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Do you feel Jacob was justified in going to the Cullens to confront Edward and possibly start a fight with the vampires even though he was going against Sam's orders? I think he had the right to see what was happening, but he should have just accepted it.

2. Since we as readers knew Bella was pregnant, did her physical appearance surprise you in the way that she looked so sick and frail? How did you feel about the rapid growth of her pregnancy and the effect it had on her body? I wasn't surprised, it knew the pregnancy would be difficult.

3. The ever present tension between Rosalie and Bella has virtually vanished due to Bella's pregnancy. Were you surprised that Bella asked Rose to act as her protector? How did you feel about Edward's explanation on how the family was divided over the issue? I wasn't surprised about it at all. Rose is the logical one to go to when it comes to babies, and the division line was completely understandable.

4. Edward says sevearl times in this chapter that Jacob understood Bella better than he did. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment? Could Edward's thoughts be clouded by his involvement in the pregnancy, or do you feel that he was correct in saying that Jacob did understand her better? I think he understood her just as well as Edward did, not more, and not less.

5. What did you feel about Edward's agreement with Jacob that if Bella died he would allow Jacob to kill him? Did you think it would come to that? I never thought it would come to that, and I was very sad that Edward would want to kill himself.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Not a chance. One of them could have gotten hurt and that would have killed Bella, even if it were Jake.

Yes, because pregnancy is not supposed to do that to you.

Who else could Bella ask? Rosalie is the only opponent to Edward in the family so much that she'd be willing to go up against him like this.

I think that because Edward's mind is so filled with Bella's pregnancy and possible death (and trying to save her from that death), he can't focus on anything else.

I wasn't surprised Bella's death would bring that reaction about after what happened in New Moon. I wasn't happy about it either. I was really praying it wouldn't.