Chapter 7: Unexpected

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Chapter 7: Unexpected

Post by edward x lover »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?
I would be happy because I love children. But if the baby was dangerous and it was hurting my husband to keep the baby I wouldn't do it. It would hurt him too much if he lost both of us.

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward?
Yes. I was disappointed that Stephenie went down that road. I thought it would be different.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
No. she said from the beginning all she wanted in the WHOLE WORLD was to be with Edward for eternity. And then POOF this baby comes along and she's like 'oh no never mind, I'd rather hurt you to save my demon child.'
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?
I would be shocked of course. how can you not be? But I love children, so I would know that I would be okay.

Like when i first started reading the book I would have never thought that this would ever happen to them. But her being on the Island with him, and feeling the way she started feeling, like being tired and stuff, i expected it then.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
Yes. I think that all moms would protect their baby, even if it means hurting other people, and thinking only of yourself. Its a part of you, and thats what I think she thinks about.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I would panic...for sure. I decided years ago that I was not going to have children, so something like this would have been a huge shock for me even though I'm in a committed relationship. I think I would respond pretty close to the way Edward did. And then after a while, hopefully I would calm down enough to consider it rationally.

Yes, I had just not thought that it was possible. Never even crossed my mind. I was so sure that Edward would not be able to father a baby.

I think the maternal instinct is very strong, so it was natural for her to fight for her baby even if Edward was against it. But I think that Bella made up her mind on very little knowledge. Edward was scared out of his mind, and she should take a moment to consider his side and see that this sort of pregnancy could be very dangerous. I'm not saying that she should choose differently than she did (since that would have been an almost impossible choice) but I wished that she would take a minute and talk things through with Edward. Edward wasn't opposed to the idea of being a father, but he had no idea what sort of creature this baby would turn out to be, so of course he was panicking.
Last edited by Dovrebanen on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Forever*Dazzled
Settled in Forks

Post by Forever*Dazzled »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella? No kids.

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy? I would freak out and then be upset becuase i don't want kids. Then i would be scared because of all the pain involved.

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward? Yes. I really didn't see that coming. I was about as mad as Edward.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs? Not really. I think Edward should have had a say.
Oh My Cullen!(c)
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

N/A

Probably... "yikes, holy crap, what are we going to do!?! OMG OMG OMG" for the first five minutes then... ok, let's proceed with figuring out my life from now on!

Not really! There was enough foreshadowing that I was NOT as surprised as Bella & Edward, especially Edward.

I'm not sure what needs of Edward's there were to consider over the safety & well-being of her baby but yes, I do think it's right. A this point, Bella feels like her #1 job in the world is to protect her baby. She has to follow her instincts.

Image Image Image
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

*is skipping this question*

I'd be freaked out somewhat. If the person I got it on with wasn't able to make babies I'd be disturbed with being knocked up, but if there was a small chance of becoming preggers I'd've taken steps to help prevent getting there.

Somewhat. Somewhere in the depth of my mind something figured they have a child as a by product of their love. Plus it was a cop out for a couple reasons in the end. Giving Bells the perfect family for starters, and giving Jake someone that he could possibly end up with.

I can see where both of them are coming from. Edward wanted her alive, as a human, for along as possible and the baby only ended up speeding up the process. Bella was completely in love with Edward, and could never hate anything made by him, and that is why she fought for the baby. While she did love Edward, this child was an extension of him.

I think it was stupid on her part however that she made the choice to keep the baby at that point without more knowledge of what the fetus could become. Neither she nor Edward knew what could come from this except Bella's death.
teineakasoo
Settled in Forks

Post by teineakasoo »

**SKIP**

I would be excited, joyful, relieved, expectant and probably hungry! LOL

Yes, even though the vampires in Twilight were not "traditional" vampires, you can't help but have misconceptions of the being itself.

But, I'm glad Stephanie added this, it kinda made sense because Edward wanted that for Bella, it was the ast thing he thought he couldn't give her.

Oh of course!! It was a part of her and Edward, I knew she would do anything to save the baby, it was her little nudger!

I'm sure she took into consideration that Edward was only thinking of her safety, but she considered it probably for a fleeting second. Her maternal instincts were already in her, hence the dreams she was having, protecting her child.

After all it was made with LOVE and with Edward.
sunnyshine
Settled in Forks

Post by sunnyshine »

i'd always knew i wanted to be a mommy so i didn't relate to bella in the way of never really thinking of myself as a mother.

I'd be thrilled :lol: if it's Edwards....it could only be amazing

For sure. I don't know what I expected but it wasn't that. I think I'm more dissappointed about how it all came about. They just didn't seem that motherly and fatherly to me. There wasn't ever really a tender moment with just the three of them that I was like...awwwww. I kept waiting for it but it never happened.

Absolutely. When you're a mother your child is number one. I think it was totally right for Bella to fight for her baby the way she did. I can't imagine her being like....oh you're worried?? okay lets just not even deal with it then. That would be sad.
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

Well, for Bella it was a little bit different, because she and Edward didn't even know it was possible for her to get pregnant, so there would have been more shock than normal. I'd probably be very happy, because kids is something I want to have (in the far future) and if I was in an extremely comitted relationship like Bella and Edward I wouldn't be worried, because I know he would be there for me and the kid the whole time.

No. I pretty much knew or suspected she was pregnant from the first time she threw up.

I think she needed to think of the baby before Edward, but also to consider him a bit. Then again, Bella didn't realise the baby would come so close to killing her at this point, so she didn't think of what Edward was worrying about, she was so wrapped up in the magic of her pregnancy. I don't think she really had a choice about the baby once she knew it was there. She now loved it as much or more than Edward, and now that Edward's needs (aborting the baby) would kill one of the two things she lo ved most in the world, how could she not consider the baby's needs first? Bella's always been willing to sacrafice herself for the people she loved.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella? I've always wanted to be a stay at home mom. Kind of hard to do that if you don't have kids. In Bella's situation though I don't think I would have had a problem giving the chance up to be with Edward. Since I had always want to be a mother I was not surprised by Bella's response at all. It's life altering to have a little one inside of you!!!

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward? I expected it it from the last chapter when she said she was falling asleep next to her plate after eating enough food for 2. Saying that I was so Blitzed out of my mind that Stephenie took the story in this direction. The future I thought Edward and Bella were going to have COMPLETELY changed.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs? Of course it is Edward isn't thinking clearly. Had Alice been able to see the future with the baby he would have hated himself if he had distroyed the baby and Bella would have resented him too. Some Men are a little slower at falling in love with there babies. Bella was giving him the time to do that.