Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by Brienna »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I didn't think about it at all to be honest. It felt natural though, that it was this way. It would'n't be logical to think she wouldn't be hurt at all, but also not probable that she would be hurt badly.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” .
No, definitely not. Just like her, I just felt my bubble burst whilst reading it.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
No. He loves her so much, he would always want to give the world to her, even if he wouldn't have had that example.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
Yes, a bit, he also changed his mind at the end of Eclipse, didn't he? ;)
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

Alphie wrote:Lots of gratitude to Malaz who came through in a real hurry for us and provided these questions!

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?

It was realistic to expect some kind of injury, it would have been too easy and unrealistic for nothing to happen to Bella. I expected the level of injury she received, no more no less. I knew he would be able to control himself (after all he did get over her tasty smell, which must have been, initially, much more difficult! lol), but because he is so much stronger than her, there was bound to be some injury.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

No, he took it too far imo. Lets face it, Edward is Edward, and it was a typical reaction to hurting her, but once he saw how happy she was, he should have took the level of anxiety down. Yes, he could have told her sorry, that would have been justified, but how far it went killed my buzz too!!! lol

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?

Like Bella does, I am sure he probably took most of his human self with him into his vampire existence, so I think he was probably a generous person anyway. I think the fact that they are wealthy, and that the Cullen's wealth does not really matter to them, just adds to how generous he and all the family are.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
I didn't really know at the time of reading, but I sure as hell hoped so! lol
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

The outcome was very much how i pictured it. I knew full well that Edward wasn't capable of causing Bella serious injury, but i thought she wouldn't come out completely unscathed. Vampires feel things a hell of a lot more than humans do, and being his first time, he didn't know what to expect; the physical pleasure he felt would have really thrown him.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

I don't think he was justifed, but then Edward always overreacts.
He was so caught up in his wallowing, that he just couldn't see that Bella was fine. It was Bella's first time after all and he completely went and spoilt if for her. This was one of those few times where he put his own feelings before Bella's.

A learned behaviour from his own time perhaps. He certainly didn't get his generosity from Carlisle. I think he would have been brought up to give his future wife all she could ever want.

Yes. He puts Bella's life beyond anything else, even before Bella's own needs and wishes. He's always tormented himself in the past, worrying about decisions he's made and whether he's made the right choice, unlike Jacob who happily takes risks and damn the consequences. I reckon Edward would have faltered in his promise, even if he hadn't hurt Bella.
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

I didn't think Edward was going to be able to go through with it, honestly. I thought it would just be too difficult for him and they'd either have to rethink their bargain or they'd consider that having tried and he'd go ahead and change Bella.

Yes and no. It's pretty typical Edward to take all the blame on himself, and to see himself as this evil monster who does nothing but hurt her. But when Bella was obviously not upset about it, and willing to try again, I wished he'd lighten up a little.

I think he's probably learned it from watching Carlisle with Esme, yes, and I think it is great. I wish I could find a guy that rich! ;)

No. He's pretty strong-willed.