Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
xcarrxteamedward
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by xcarrxteamedward »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I had a feeling that something was going to happen..i actually thought something worse than bruises but I was glad that nothing worse happened.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
No! He should be happy because she was happy..I understand why he would be like that but he just made Bella feel terrible.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I think he always had it in him but it just hid away after so many years of not having anything exciting in his life.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
Yes because he had done it before...he promised to leave her alone but he went right back to her. He would do anything to make her happy and I saw it coming when reading the book.
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
i expected it to be the same

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
yes because she was really happy

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
yeah because edward is usually polite a little to polite

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?

by making more love to her because he does
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? I honestly didn't think she would get hurt at all. I thought whenever Edward voiced that concern he was just being his overprotective self.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly. If you mean is he justified in being mad at himself for ruining Bella's good mood because she was happy? Then yes. She was so happy & didn't regret any decisions that were made that night.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?If Bella hadn't made that observation I don't think I ever would have thought of that. Obviously Edward loves Bella and wants to just make her happy & take care of. I guess part of it could have been seeing how Carlisle treats & takes care of Esme.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself? I thought there would be NO WAY!! This is Edward we're talking about. I thought it was hilarious when he gave in the first time after Bella's dream and she was crying. I did not expect that to work. I was glad for Bella's sake that he did falter!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

* Maybe it's a little ridiculous, but I did think that Edward was overreacting (he is sorta overprotective) and I didn't think Bella would be hurt at all...

* He didn't mean to "sour Bella's mood"... he thought he'd hurt her and that she just didn't say anything..
He was justified in his reaction though, it was what he didn't want to happen, to hurt her.

* I think he is inherently generous, but part of it is influenced by Carlisle and his family's generousity.

* At first, Bella seemed intent on convincing him otherwise.. lol.. but I knew he'd do the right thing.. :D
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I expected him to accidently bite her in the moment of passion and turn her by accident.

He felt guilty for harming her, and thought she felt the pain of him doing what she wanted him to do and that is where he's coming from, IMO. He was jsutified in telling Bella how he felt about what had happened as he was able to see the bruises form all night.

Yeah, I do think it's a learned behaviour. He has been with Carlisle the longest and saw what he had done with Esme to make her feel welcomed to the family and helped her get over loosing her baby, as he did with Alice and Jazz, Rose and Emmett. He was also knew what the rest of the would do to make their other half happy.

Somewhat. He wanted to give Bella what she wanted, for the most part unless it put her life in danger. I figured there was going to be something would happen to Bella that broke his promise to himself.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

It was more or less what I expected, I expected a lot of bruises, maybe even a few scratches. I think Bella's coloring and the fact that she bruises easily made her seem more hurt than she actually was.

Edward was just being Edward. His self-hate gets a bit tiring sometimes, but that is just the way he is. I don't think Bella should complain about him souring her mood, she got what she wanted.

It sure is. The whole Cullen family seems to be overly generous, Alice, Carlisle, Edward...all of them

I did not expect that. I was soooo happy he lost his self control :lol:
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
Vampire.Bunny
Lusting for Blood

Post by Vampire.Bunny »

i thought it would be worse, like near death

well he did hurt her and felt bad, bella didnt make it better

yes, after 100 years you would pick up some things from carlile, and as a "father figure" edward would copy

no coz bella would make him feel guilty and they would end up having sex anyway (like after edwards promise not to have sex with her after the first time)
ImageImage
revrag
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by revrag »

I honestly expected her not to get hurt at all. I just thought that Edward would just instinctly know when was too much. Of course, when you're dealing with the downstairs, I guess we learn that even Edward can loose a little control.

I don't think that he intentionally meant to sour the mood or destroy the perfect moment. I think he just wanted Bella to know the seriousness of what just happened and that her body was physically not unhurtable, and despite the fact that she said she enjoyed herself immeasurably...he couldn't believe it because the evidence of bruising was just too much to bear and spoke louder than her words.

I think that Edward's nature is to do good. Even when he was hunting "bad" people, at that time he felt like he was serving the greater good...and only later realized he couldn't take away someone else's choice...no matter what that choice was. Not to mention that Carlisle was someone truly good and seeing that, of course Edward would want to protray that as well.

I hoped that he would. When you're married the sexual aspect is extremely powerful and elating. To be one with your sweetheart is truly both a physicial and emotional, and very nearly spiritual thing. I was hoping that Edward would realize that now that he has made love to Bella once and knew exactly what to expect for himself, that he would know how far was too far for the next time. He could use that knowledge and make it better for himself and for Bella. So, ya, I was glad that he did...and it was goooood. :)
tiffanyh
Settled in Forks

Post by tiffanyh »

I was expecting it to go pretty much as it did. I didn't think he'd hurt her. I was surprised by the bruises a little, but not at the same time. Once you consider that's all that happened to her, you realize he handled himself really well considering what he was fighting back.

I think, knowing Edward like we all do, that he handled himself a lot better than how he was really feeling inside. He hates hurting her... emotionally and physically. Seeing her like that, and knowing it was his fault, probably crushed him. I think Bella should have understood that, but I can understand both their takes on it... and it could have been a lot worse on both parties.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behavior. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I think he was like that as a human. Sure he's probably picked up some things from Carlisle over the years, but I think he brought a lot of that with him from his human life. He's such a good person in general that it doesn't surprise me that he'd want to take care of the people he loved and shower them with affection and gifts to express his love.

I really didn't expect it to happen, but I'm glad it did. He's such a strong willed person... but his intense love for Bella, his new wife, ruled his decision in this move... which is best, really. Being the strong person he is, I knew if it did happen again he'd be in better control of himself.
Isabella Swan? I promise to love you forever — every single day of forever. Will you marry me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 20, p.460
TEAM EDWARD!
Emmett's Rose
Settled in Forks

Post by Emmett's Rose »

I did not expect her to be hurt at all since Edward is so obsessive compulsive about her safety but I guess he got a little carried away. :)
I wasn't surprised at his reaction. I thought it was pretty Edward of him to freak out about having hurting her even if it was only a few bruises. He had been so convinced all along that being intimate would result in Bella getting hurt or worse and here was the proof in front of him.

I think he was always a generous person by nature even in his human life.

I always thought he'd eventually cave in. He was never very strong when it came to saying no to Bella and she was pretty determined.