Chapter 3: The Big Day

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 3: The Big Day

Post by Tonya »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella? Well I figured the boy looked the way he did because of Rosaline's description of her friends little boy. But I didn't think this dream had and significance. I really like I was in such a hurry to read the book to find out what happens that I missed a lot of the hints. Plus I never thought it would go the way it did.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance? She said she would try. Besides they are going to be sisters now whether Rose agrees with what she is doing or not.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself? I think Alice new that it would make Bella uncomfortable if everyone got her to much.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing? You have to marry the man of your dreams to really understand the way she felt. It's the most incredible feeling in the world. To "belong" to him and for him to "belong" to you. It's wonderful.
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?
I'm sure there is probably some significance, but I'm not positive. I guess she probably dreamed about the immortal children because Edward had reminded her about it before he left. She was probably dreaming about being very protective of the child because Edward had mentioned that he wished it could be true that they could have a child.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?
Rosalie has already told Bella in Eclipse that she is going to try to get past her dislike for Bella. I'm sure she is also trying to keep the rest of her family happy. By offering to help Bella she would make everyone, especially Edward, happy. Besides, then when people say Bella looks pretty, Rosalie can take some credit for it lol and we know she'd love to get credit for it.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
This part made me chuckle because of the whole "ripping their throats out" remark. I think it could be a combination of the two things. Alice knows Edward EXTREMELY well, and she knows Bella almost as well so she knows what they will want for their wedding. We also know that Alice would want to do things herself so that things are done the right way. I'm sure Renee is picking up on a little of all of that, but she just wouldn't know why Alice is so attuned to everyone.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
Bella was so wrapped up in what her mother had her believeing that she couldn't see what was in front of her. We also know that she hates being the center of attention so that had to have an affect on her as well. I think it took her until the very moment of the wedding to realize that everything was going to be fine and she was overreacting. Looking into Edward's eyes and knowing that they would be together forever, and there was really no reason to worry, she finally saw the light.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?
I thought there was some significance. I didn't think SM would explain about the immortal children, have Bella vividly dream about it, and then drop it completely. I knew it would come up later in the book.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated
Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?
I was as shocked as bella! I'm not sure. Maybe she wanted to be nice to her on her special day. *shrugs* it's
mystery to me!

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
Just her way of expressing how independant Alice was when it came to stuff like this. The coincidence is pretty funny though !

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And,
as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that
marrying Edward was a good thing?
I think she subconciously (pardon the spelling!!) knew it all along. But the thought decided to make itself known when Edward kissed her.
Betting on Alice.
tlscone
Settled in Forks

Post by tlscone »

This was the only place i could think to place this question.

ok so tonight i was reading breaking dawn for the i dont know how many times but this seem to jump out at me and i just wanted to ask to see if anyone else noticed.

at the begining of chapter 3 Bella says that she tidies her room and then when charlie wakes up she made him pancakes then a little lower down that page when so told him

"That's not your only job. You also have to be dressed and presentable."
He scowled into his cereal bowl and muttered the words "monkey suit" under his breath

So my question is How can he have pancakes and a cereal bowl?
Aradia
Wandering Through Town
Location: Trying to think of a way to enter into my books...where I can have the perfect guy!

Post by Aradia »

I'm not sure that it is coincidental, its just forshadowing. And maybe there is a part of her subconcious thats letting her know what she may have to face in the future..or at the time what she may have thought she was giving up to be with Edward.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?

Well, Bella was finally giving Edward what he wanted, so Rose may have been happy that Bella was doing that and decide to play nice..or maybe Rose just figured she could try to be nice just this one day..considering it is her WEDDING DAY!

I'm not sure its any of these reasons, I'm pretty sure that Alice saw a prefect vision of the Wedding day and everytime Renee or Charlie tried to do anything it ruined that perfect vision..so Alice being Alice got testy and cancelled whatever they were planning on doin...

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?

Yes, I think she realizes that this is a good thing for him and her. They are both happy in the moment and I think she knows that will be for a long time..

Jace Lightwood, Edward Cullen, Ian O'Shea, and Jasper Cullen.....these are the only men I need in my life!
Olderthandirt
Settled in Forks

Post by Olderthandirt »

I don't like this quesion! Of course it is significant in the tyimeline of things. A better question would be wha Bella thought about "giving up procreation for immortality" now that she has had the dream. If memory serves me, Bella and Edward did have this conversation earlier, and said she would "adopt" like Esme. The dream might give her pause.

Rosalie, like the others, are caught up in the preparations, and I believe she is doing this for Edward, more thatn Bella.

The latter. Poor choice of words, lol!

Bella's family interactions have colored her perceptions that she could be loved unconditionally. Think about it - she takes care of both her parents instead of the parent nurturing the child. Her mom leaves her to marry a younger man, and Bella senses that she in in the way of her mother's relationship. so she moves to Forks! Her father does little to interact with her except at meal time, and that is usually spent infront of a TV. And along comes Edward, (Mr. Perfect). Edward who has left her one time. Talk about trust issues! The human committment of marriage trumping immortality finally clicks when she sees his reaction as she walks down the aisle. she trusts him!
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

Having nightmares is not something new to Bella. She usually has them after someone told her some kind of story. But then again, most of her dreams seem to lead somewhere in the end. At this point of the story, however, I didn't anticipate this dream to be of any significance. I didn't realize it meant something until she actually got pregnant.

Even though Rosalie would have made a different decision if she had been in Bella's place, she cannot have failed to realize that Bella is not acting on some kind of rash mood. I also think that the comversation in Eclipse helped both of them to understand the other side a little bit better. As there is nothing she can do against it and as she must have realized how happy Edward and Bella are together, Rosalie probably decided to play nice on that special occasion.

I think in that situation it was really just about Alice wanting to be in control of everything so she could make sure everything would happen the way she has foreseen it.

In that moment she realizes that all her fears were just stupid compared to the fact that she would now officially belong to Edward. All her reasons about why she doesn't want to marry at such an early age and all her fears of what other people might think about it just vanish because all she really wants is Edward. And he is there, right next to her and that's everything she wants and needs.
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

I think it was just Bella being Bella. Like just foreshadowing. Also, I think it was like her subconscious trying to tell her that she wouldn't be able to have children as a vampire, even though she didn't really think about it.

Well, I think that it was the moment. Rosalie knew Bella was going to be her sister, that Bella was not going to change her mind, so I think it was a moment of realization for Rosalie that she and Bella were going to be sisters no matter what Rosalie thought she should do.

I think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything for herself. I don't think Renée suspected anything, well, yeah, that the Cullens were something else, but not vampires.

I think she finally realizes that because she realized her fears of getting married were irrational, that Edward and her were going to be together forever, so she might as well make it official.

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

I think that she was just remembering Tonya and then about their story and thinking about it made it her dream,.. usually whatever is on her mind she dreams about.. and they almost always turn out that way.

She realizes it's no longer an option, Bella will be becoming a vampire, so maybe she is trying to be nicer and accept her more for her decision of what she wants.

No, I dont' think that had anything to do with Alice being attuned to everyone, Alice just wanted to do most all of it,..

She saw his face,.. while it's going on she thought more of the idea of the whole thing, it finally sank it. Most people who say they don't want to get married are right. But when they meet that somebody they want to share their lives with, most of the time they change their mind. Bella realized more of what Edward meant about everyone knowing that she was going to be his and all his,.. they would be married. This chapter makes me cry everytime!
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I thought it was just Bella bein Bella

I think that Bella and Rose have come to respect one another, not like but the have come to terms with each other choices.

I think she was remarking how attune Alcie seems to be :).

I think she always knew Edward was good, she always said he wasn't a monster and that she loves him.
**Kathryn**