Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TeamAliceWins
Settled in Forks
Location: Medellin, Colombia (with some special southern vampires)

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by TeamAliceWins »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?
I think Bella knows what she´s giving up when she turns into a vampire, but she doesn´t fully appreciate it. She knows she won´t be able to go back to Arizona (or any sunny place place for that matter), she knows she won´t be able to ever have a baby (well.... you know what I mean), and she very well knows pretty much every other thing she will never be able to do. But, as I said, she doesn´t really appreciate these things. I mean, it´s Bella! Do you think she would WANT a baby, anyways? And I´m pretty sure she wont have a problem not going back to Arizona; she´d been prepared for that outcome even before she knew about vampires. Also, she knows she loves Edward. No, "love" isn´t strong enough. She will be with the man she adores forever. Truly forever. As they said in Eclipse: It´s a lot to lose, but it´s more to get back.
2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
They probably are gonna hunt, just not what they would usually hunt. Sort of like having a big "dinner" or something. They´ll probably go looking for something better to eat. A special meal for a special occasion.
And I am 100% certain they wil NOT go to a strip club or drinking or whatever else humans do for bachelor parties.
3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
As he has explained many times, Edwaurd always knew who he was looking for. Metaphorically speaking, obviously. He knew he wanted someone that made him happy, and he would need someone that had qualities beyond their looks; a personality of their own, something unique that no one else has. Not to mention the Cullens and the Denali clan had always been friends; it´d be weird to marry someone you´d only known as a friend. Plus, vampires dont go through that "He was always a friend, but now I see him as something more" change. Once a friend, always a friend.
4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
I think every child becomes "aware" at their own pace. It depends on how they were raised, on their personality, genetics, you name it. Everything that adds up to what you are. I think the Volturi base their decision of whether or not a child is capable of keeping a secret and knowing what is right and wrong on stereotypes. An "average" five year old probably wouldnt know not to kill people when they´re hungry, but an "average" thirteen year old might. I think the age limit they would set up would be about nine and above (pre-teens). I think its the most reasonable thing to do, seeing as I would very well fit in that category..... :D
Last edited by TeamAliceWins on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im breaking up with you. I took you to the beach and you didnt even sparkle. So give me back my copy of Eclipse before I punch you in the face. Youre no werewolf, either.
SarahGoddard
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by SarahGoddard »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?
The way I see it this is (partly) what the saga is building to. I dont think she was ready in any of the other books (definitly not at the end of Twilight) but shes had a very long time to think, consider and weigh up her options and she knows this is the right thing for her. The fact that she then gets Renesme is an added bonus that she doesnt have to consider shes "giving up" children.
2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
Completley agree with TeamAliceWins - like a "big" dinner - maybe a whole pride of mountain lions? Or they travelled really far afield and did some really big game - polar bears or elephants or something? :)
3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
Again spot on TeamAliceWins - he knew what he was looking for even when he didnt know he was looking (did that make sense), he just simply wasnt meant to be with Tanya.
4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
I'm not sure what age Jane is meant to be - I always thought she just looked and seemed young. Given her petulance I would easily put her down as a young teenager though! I think around 14 or 15 is probably the youngest. Would there be tests? I'm not sure, maybe the Volturi would determine it after they've been created if the newborn is unruly and unteachable

~1/2 of the infamous Snowgod~
Sarah just needs her Lexily to get her through the day.
Left her ♥ on the Gen Y thread, Rockin' the 3rd person!
:mrgreen:
I.WANT.TO.BE.BELLA
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by I.WANT.TO.BE.BELLA »

I think that Bella is extremely priveliged to have become a vampire with having so much planning.I also think that Bella understands very well what she is giving up (her parents, human friends and the ability to be able to have children) because Bella never mentioned or thought of having kids.
Things worked out well anyway with all the long preparation she as never really a newborn at all.

As most other people have said i think that they would have had a big hunt.Which is a good thing as you wouldn't really want a bunch of vampires lashing out in front of an entire crowd of wedding guests.

I think that Edward just didn't feel the meteor shoot across the blank sky,if you know what i mean.

I think that age around 12-13ish would be the good age as The Volturi admitted that the changed Jane and Alec when they were around that age so obviously The Volturi kind of answered that question for me.But i think that they would help the to-be vampire to prepare (like Bella) so they wouldn't be as wild and unruly as unexpected vampires.
I.WANT.TO.BE.ALICE is my Twi-Twin!
Rain.........Depressing. :D
Avatar and Signature made by me.
dragonrider713
Wandering Through Town

Post by dragonrider713 »

I think Bella understood most, but not all of what she would give up by becoming immortal. At eighteen you can't really know what you're going to want when you're older.

I figured it'd be something like hunting. I definitely think Jasper was telling the truth.

He probably turned her down because he didn't think of her in that way. The Denali clan is like extended family to the Cullens, so Edward probably only thought of Tanya in that way.

I think maybe age ten and up. At ten years old, you have a pretty good handle on yourself and are less likely to lose control.
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

No she doesn't understand. I think her understanding is limited by both and the fact that she doesn't believe she will be losing her soul so she doesn't consider it as closely.

Firstly, Edward is not a strip club kind of guy. Ha ha. Secondly, if they did try Alice would see what they were up to and she and Rose would kick their you know whats. :D Thirdly, what's a strip club girl compared to Rose, Alice and Bella?!? Also, I bet Rose, Alice and Bella would gladly give a private show to her own man any day. :lol:

Well, I read the Midnight Sun excerpt on SM's website so I believe Edward turned her down (to state it in somewhat old fashioned terms) because he is a gentleman and she is not a lady.

I'm sure it was typical hypocritical Volturi. I bet since Aro kept Jane and Alec (who are about 13 right) that the Volturi decided 13 was the cut off point. Off point - I was so disturbed that any vampire would not only kidnap a human child but make that child suffer for three days! They deserved to be dusted. 8-)
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

* Yes I truly believe she thought it through... or maybe my answer is limited on my age and life experience. :lol: I truly relate to her in such a ridiculously complete way.

* I think so. I don't think there are vampire strip clubs.. lol

* (sorry ,*spoiler*, for MS virgins) Edward knew she didn't have the most pure intentions and feelings...

*Mental maturity, I think... the ability to distinguish and decide maturely.
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
tiffanyh
Settled in Forks

Post by tiffanyh »

I think, no matter how old Bella is at the time, there will be things that she won't fully understand. I don't think you'll ever realize what you've really given up until you're immortal. For her now, I think she's ahead of the game and understands better than anyone gives her credit for.

I think Jasper was telling the truth... to an extent. They might have gotten a little bit for wild than he let Bella believe... added a little more danger to the night. But I don't think he lied to her.

Simple... the same reason he's turned down everyone else... or not found anyone else until Bella: They weren't Bella. Edward was made for Bella... and Bella for Edward.

I think it'd be a risk on anyone younger than pre-teen to teenage years... even that's pushing it unless the person was mature. As far as tests go... is there a test to determine if a person is ready for immortality? It's be a tricky assessment.
Isabella Swan? I promise to love you forever — every single day of forever. Will you marry me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 20, p.460
TEAM EDWARD!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else? I certainly think that Bella's does know know everything she is giving up but I do think she has thought long and hard about her future and she is at peace with it.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth? I think it was priceless and perfect. I don't remember what Jasper said.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down? Just not into her.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? I think 16 might be the age for the youngest turned vamp. Would be interesting to know though.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
jesscaa
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by jesscaa »

I think she had quite abit of time to think about her decision. She is young and may not have known everything she would be losing, but she did know quite abit of it and I don't think she would have made the desicion without realizing most of what would happen.

I believe Jasper was telling the truth without mentioning quite all of the details. ;)

Edward was simply never one to date around, as others have mentioned :) he waited for Bella who was absolutley perfect for him.

Jazzy wrote:

The Volturi strikes me as the type who make rules for their own convenience. Like even if they were to set a certain age or certain rules, they would bend it themselves if it benefits them. Like if they found an immortal child who has powers that could be useful to them. If that happened I think they would allow the child to live, as long as they think they can control him / her.
i agree completely
Jasper's Confederate Army-Delilah Devon. Recovering patient at Carlisle's Medical Center. Sarah is my Twi-twin!
Renesmee_Bella
Red-Eyed Vampire
Location: In Ohio, waiting for Edward to come through the window.....

Post by Renesmee_Bella »

1) Honestly, what would she be losing though? She was planning to find a way to stay in touch with Charlie, she could continue to interact with humans, what with her super self control. Help me out here, shes getting more than shes losing. And...Shes getting EDWARD!!!! I would trade everything I have for him. I think Bella knows exactly what shes doing.

2) Yes I do think Jasper was telling the truth because a) all of the cullen men are vampires in love and b) even in they did take Edward to see strippers or something along those lines, would Edward stay? oh please, Edward is way better than that, he would leave immediately and probably come back to Bella's after she was asleep. Duh.

3) Edward...well like he said, he doesn't like blondes and Tanya is very blonde plus she's also slef-centered and just as narcissitic as Rosalie and she would never be pure and self-less enough to catch Edward's attention like Bella did.

4) I honestly don't know. I think the baby would have to be atleast 6 because even at the age of 5 and 6, a child still has difficulty obeying their parents. Heck, even some adults go wrong, and with the whole, human blood is irresistable thing, only teenagers and adults should be turned.I think it should be the whole atleast 16 years old thing, If you can drive, you can be a vampire.

♥~*Proud Member/Founder of The Mookie Adams Family*~♥