Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Edi Gathegi as Laurent

Post by Pel »

A place to discuss Edi.
SwitzerlandXGirl7
Settled in Forks

Re: Edi Gathegi as Laurent

Post by SwitzerlandXGirl7 »

WOW i just joined and i'm the first to post???!!!??? Well in his "scene" in a clip i think he did a wonderfull job accents perfect and he is a good actor but i am in NO WAY racist but um i never imagened him black........ i mean it's defrent in a good way but i actully never really thought about how he looked because stephenie never really described him so................. oh well i think he's really good!!
katie3605
Settled in Forks

Post by katie3605 »

i'm in no way racist at all either but i agree with you, i definitely did not imagine Laurent being black. especially since SM's description of him in TW was "his skin olive-toned beneath the typical pallor"... basically implying he was probably tanned like Jacob before he was changed and is now covered in the paleness of vampire world. but i love the way Edi's accent works with Laurent's character. that part alone made me suspend my disbelief and be happy with who they chose.
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

I loved his accent in the trailer- and judging from HOUSE i'm sure he'll pull off his role effectively; he's a good actor in my opinion...
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
cidluen
Wandering Through Town

Post by cidluen »

SwitzerlandXGirl7 and katie3605- I never imagined Laurent black either so it was a shock to me at first too, even though I knew Mr. Gathegi from House and Gone Baby Gone I simply didn't picture Laurent black at the beggining. It's not racism, I'm mestiza ;) . Time, the accent and the clip finally convinced me he was perfect in the role, different but in a good way. So, we had the same reaction :D

PS: Loved Cole in House and Cheese in Gone Baby Gone XP
ummplz
Settled in Forks

Post by ummplz »

cidluen wrote:SwitzerlandXGirl7 and katie3605- I never imagined Laurent black either so it was a shock to me at first too
Yeahh, same here. I was just like I imagined something way different, but he seems really good, accent especially.
I imagined Laurent someone more like.. Gaspard Ulliel
Old Account Name: TeamEdward/Robert ! (L)
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

I don't think SM intended for him to be black in the books (Olive toned is deep tan) but usually in Movies they will play with a characters race/appearance if it doesn't mess with the story line, mainly to make sure everyone is "represented"...it's common in movies and TV

I think Edi's Laurent is going to kick ace...I can see it!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~awesomejen
Cool graphic stuff from MRK! Thanks!
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

i love edi. he;s so cool. i loved him on House.
and, i too, and in no way racist, but honestly, Laurent shouldnt be black.
he was described as having "olive-toned skin," first of all
and second, hes a vampire, so should he be pale-ish? ok, that came out bad, but seriosuly.
oh well. i suppose they did this to not seem racist or whatever.
possibly the reason eric is asian - also, did not see that one coming.
but i love edi, so i guess it doesnt matter, hell be an awesome laurent and ill be sad when he dies in new moon even though i shouldnt, haha :lol:
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
mammadawg
Settled in Forks

Post by mammadawg »

SwitzerlandXGirl7 wrote:WOW i just joined and i'm the first to post???!!!??? Well in his "scene" in a clip i think he did a wonderfull job accents perfect and he is a good actor but i am in NO WAY racist but um i never imagened him black........ i mean it's defrent in a good way but i actully never really thought about how he looked because stephenie never really described him so................. oh well i think he's really good!!
lol - omg - I'm so GLAD to find out that I'm not the only one who didn't picture him black. But you're right - he is a great actor - he did a nice job in the mini-clips I've seen.

Which are probably too many. My son said last night, "Mom? Are you looking at Twilight videos again?" ;)
mammadawg
Settled in Forks

Post by mammadawg »

awesomejen1 wrote:I don't think SM intended for him to be black in the books (Olive toned is deep tan) but usually in Movies they will play with a characters race/appearance if it doesn't mess with the story line, mainly to make sure everyone is "represented"...it's common in movies and TV

I think Edi's Laurent is going to kick ace...I can see it!
You're right! I was thinking the same thing - making sure we're all "represented." :)