What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: What are you reading?

Post by SwanCullen »

Well, I have only read The Girl Who Played WIth Fire (My ex SIL bought it for me for xmas thinking it was the 1st one) But I do want to read the others. I heard the swedish versions of the movie are great! I wonder how the English version will be? Daniel Craig is in it (Though I am not sure which part he plays.)
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I enjoyed the Swedish versions and don't think I will watch the american ones since I already know how the stories go.
Banner by TammyAZ
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

SwanCullen wrote:Well, I have only read The Girl Who Played WIth Fire (My ex SIL bought it for me for xmas thinking it was the 1st one) But I do want to read the others. I heard the swedish versions of the movie are great! I wonder how the English version will be? Daniel Craig is in it (Though I am not sure which part he plays.)
I've seen all three of the Swedish films and they are pretty good; as a movie, the first one is definitely the best. Daniel Craig is playing Mikael Blomkvist in the Hollywood version; I will probably see it.

I'm now reading another very good book that's recently been made into a movie, The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. The title character is Mickey Haller, a maverick criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles. Mickey doesn't have an office; he does all his business from a fleet of Lincoln Town Cars which he has chauffeured around town (hence the title). When Mickey takes the case of a Beverly Hills realtor accused of murder, he thinks it can become the kind of "franchise case" any lawyer dreams of. But there will doubtless be many twists and turns along the way. This is Connelly's first book of several with Haller as the main character; Haller is the half-brother of Harry Bosch, the LAPD detective who is Connelly's best-known character.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Ive just finished Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead and enjoyed it so am now starting the second in the series Vampire Academy: Frostbite. Fun, easy to read books with a different take on vampires. Full of teenage angst, guy problems, humour and friendship. Also loss, bravery and strong bonds.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading includes:

1) Lazybones, by Mark Billingham. This is one in a series of British police procedural thrillers, centering on Detective Inspector Tom Thorne of the Metropolitan Police. This book involves Thorne's pursuit of a serial killer who targets men recently released from prison who had committed sexual offenses. During the investigation, Thorne discovers that his case is connected to another, from nearly thirty years in the past. Billingham's plotting is strong, but he isn't quite as adept at characterization. He feels compelled to give readers little vignettes of the off-duty lives of Thorne and his colleagues, all of which slow the book down. Overall I'd still recommend it, but this series isn't necessarily one I'll be continuing with.

2) Yippee Ki-yay, Moviegoer, by "Vern." Vern (real name unknown) is an online movie reviewer--you can find his website here. This is a collection of his reviews of an eclectic bunch of movies, mostly action films and/or thrillers. It's a rather interesting collection.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Urixx
Settled in Forks

Post by Urixx »

Drylor The First Artifact by Ryan Tomasella. It is a fairly new fantasy book but sooooooo good. Here is what it is about (taken from amazon)

When a man wakes up inside a cage that is being carried through an underground city, he has no idea where he is or what has happened to him. As Von, a victim of amnesia, is taken to a jail cell to await his fate amongst elves, humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and halflings, he is told he is a member of the Royal Guard of Genisus. It is not long before he is transported to the palace where he meets an impatient king who eventually returns him to his jail cell while deciding his destiny. As Von's memory slowly returns, he discovers that he is the only one who can protect Drylor-a world that abandoned him-from its greatest evil, his own brother. Through his journey to the truth, Von meets an unlikely group of friends who are willing to sacrifice everything to help him stop his brother Scarlet from annihilating the only world they have ever known. As Von's past becomes clear and reveals his future, he soon realizes the only way he can end his brother's heartless massacres is to find him and kill him.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading:

1) Hide, by Lisa Gardner. This is a sequel to Gardner's Alone, which i wrote about here a few weeks ago. Massachusetts State Trooper Bobby Dodge is asked by his friend and ex-lover, D.D. Warren of the Boston PD, to help investigate when a grave with the bodies of six murdered girls is discovered. A young woman named Annabelle Granger comes forward with knowledge of the case--one of the girls was her best friend as a child, and Annabelle herself may have narrowly missed being kidnapped and killed. Gardner's thrillers seem to invariably center on families with dark secrets; this one is shaping up to be one of her best.

2) The Girls Who Went Away, by Ann Fessler. The core of this book is drawn from a set of oral histories which the author collected by interviewing women who became pregnant before marriage in the 1950s and 60s, and gave up their children for adoption. In doing so, Fessler uncovers what for many readers (me included) was a part of history they had never really known before. I'd highly recommend this one.
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Reading Illusion by Aprilynne Pike (3rd in the Wings storyline) and Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan (2nd in his Kane Chronicles, which is about the Egyptian gods)

Loving both so far!!

Thank you Naureen!!
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I finished in one sitting Wake by Lisa McGann (i think is her name). Concept was cool. Writing was a little shaky but its all part of evolving as a new writer. Next I am trying really hard to finish the 3rd book from Hunger Games.
Banner by TammyAZ
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I'm now reading Heaven's Prisoners, by James Lee Burke, the second in his lengthy series about Louisiana cop Dave Robicheaux. Burke is a little outside the mainstream of mystery/thriller authors, but very good. There's a bit of a dissonance in his books: he writes some of the most gorgeous prose I've ever encountered, but uses it to describe people and events that are very dark and often violent.