What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jace
Settled in Forks

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jace »

"Living Dead in Dallas" by Charliaine Harris. Just finished Dead Until Dark, interesting how closely the True Blood TV show follows the book
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Michael Connelly's The Brass Verdict is another compelling mystery/thriller from one of the modern masters. Mickey Haller, who Connelly introduced in a previous novel, is a criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles. When a colleague is murdered, Mickey inherits the man's case load, including defending an arrogant film producer accused of killing his wife and her lover. Meanwhile, Connelly's most frequent protagonist, LAPD detective Harry Bosch, is in a supporting role, investigating the murder of Mickey's colleague. If I remember my Connelly-lore, Mickey and Harry are half-brothers, but Mickey, at least, doesn't know it as of this book. I've read about ten of Connelly's books, and enjoyed all of them, this one included.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

One Day by David Nicholls and am throughly enjoying it. It is about 2 people who met at Uni and became friends. Each chapter is a year later and you find out that they kept in touch and how their lives change and intermix. It is easy to read, lovely style and funny at times. Cant wait to see how it ends.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading:

1) Iron Lake, by William Kent Krueger. Krueger is another new author I'm giving a look at. This is the first in a series set in rural Minnesota (the Lakes country, to be precise). The protagonist is Corcoran "Cork" O'Connor, an ex-cop from Chicago who has returned to his rural roots. I'm only a few chapters into this one but it seems pretty good.

2) The Panic Virus, by Seth Mnookin. This is a book about the debate over the alleged role of childhood vaccines as a cause of autism; I have found it extremely informative.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I'm in between books at the moment, but I recently finished Nevermore, which is a YA book where Edgar Allen Poe's story comes to life. I had high expectations for it considering all the great reviews I read about it, but I was completely let down.

Currently, I'm reading Trouble by Gary Schmidt which is about death, grief, and racism. It's pretty powerful. I'm also reading The Cellar by A.J. Whitten, which is written by a mother-daughter team, which is a mash up of Romeo and Juliet meets zombies. It's ok so far.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

@cullengirl Let me know how The Cellar goes for you. It sounds interesting.
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

numerous of books regarding eating disorder for my research paper.
Banner by TammyAZ
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

BlueStarEgo wrote:@cullengirl Let me know how The Cellar goes for you. It sounds interesting.
Will do, BlueStarEgo. I'm in the middle of it right now and don't have much of an opinion.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

funkidiva, I have read One Day. I liked most of it. The novelty of it's design was great. I will warn you however that British writers are absolutely notorious for sucky endings.

I just recently finished (like in one day) Cullengirl's recommendation of Anna and the French Kiss. It was a perfect book. LOVED it. Gave it to my 17 year old daughter who actually took it. :clap:

I was going to start Linger, finally, but Thundra stole it from me. I'll have to wait to get it back from her. So now I'm reading Alter of Eden by James Rollins. It's a thinking man's action book. I love the way he incorperates really interesting science with religion, ethics, and military firepower.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Post by Nena »

I want to read Anna and the French kiss now! I was doing a search for it, I think I'll get in on my kindle app.

I'm reading college textbooks but I will also be reading The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner for this month's book club. Has anyone read it? it's short and it won the 1997 Newbery honor :)