The Third Table

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
somethingblue
The Godmother

Re: The Third Table

Post by somethingblue »

Ouisa wrote:Blue, you are so right! I love that you shared positive ways that <s> obsession </s> passion can inspire our kids!
They say kids learn to love books not only by being read to but seeing their parents reading. This is challenging these days when most families spend too much time in front of the TV or playing video games. (not that these are inherently bad). As an aspiring teacher I worry about instilling a passion for books into my students. It just came so easily for me! I can't think of a better example to one's kids than you. You've taken our interest and done such great things with the book club!
Thank you so much, dahling Goddess Ouisa. I have to say, when I like something, become passionate about it, there is nothing that gives me greater joy than sharing that with others. Book club, the Lex and Dex, discussing the books with my mother, it all adds a richness to life which I know realize is connection. Connection via a common interest. Legos with my boy, books with my girl. It's all good.
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

somethingblue wrote: it all adds a richness to life which I know realize is connection. Connection via a common interest. Legos with my boy, books with my girl. It's all good.
Excellent point! After Eclipse and even more so after Breaking Dawn, I've been feeling some exhaustion with the drama inherent in fandom. Sometimes I wonder if the effort required for fandom really is worth it. But I think one of the benefits of fandom (and the internet that makes it all possible) is that it makes these connections possible. Reading used to be such a solitary event. You read a book, maybe you talked about it with your friends some. But really that was all there was. Now there is this ability for connections and although recently it's not always been fun, I think in the greater scope of things it has been beneficial. (although I really do need to get off my computer now and go bake cupcakes!)
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Have fun baking those cupcakes, Ouisa! :twisted:
Ouisa wrote:Excellent point! After Eclipse and even more so after Breaking Dawn, I've been feeling some exhaustion with the drama inherent in fandom. Sometimes I wonder if the effort required for fandom really is worth it. But I think one of the benefits of fandom (and the internet that makes it all possible) is that it makes these connections possible. Reading used to be such a solitary event. You read a book, maybe you talked about it with your friends some. But really that was all there was. Now there is this ability for connections and although recently it's not always been fun, I think in the greater scope of things it has been beneficial.
I understand how you feel. I know my view is somewhat different than yours as far as how I felt after reading Breaking Dawn, but the drama that has ensued because of these books, no matter what side of the fence your on, is exhausting and makes you question if being a part of the fandom is really worth it.

I guess I'm a little luckier than most fans in that I've found so many fans that live in the same area as me, so I don't have to continue as part of the online fandom if I didn't want to. But, I guess that's exactly my point, because of the connections I've made with fans that don't live near me, I do remain a part of the online fandom. I want to keep these connections alive! I love our discussions about the books, even with the differences of opinion, but more so, I love the personal connection a lot of us feel because of becoming a part of the fandom and then expanding our connection to our personal lives. (I hope that makes sense.)
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Ouisa

Post by Ouisa »

jenni_elyse wrote:
I understand how you feel. I know my view is somewhat different than yours as far as how I felt after reading Breaking Dawn, but the drama that has ensued because of these books, no matter what side of the fence your on, is exhausting and makes you question if being a part of the fandom is really worth it.
It's not so much how I personally felt about BD that bothers me. It's the hate and the hacking and the wanking and losing my 750+ post count (I'm shallow. I admit it.)

Cupcakes are in the oven. I'm adapting a two recipes
http://cupcakeblog.com/index.php/2007/4/smores-cupcakes (I made these two weeks ago and it was divine!!)
http://chockylit.blogspot.com/2006/01/l ... illed.html (ditto)
and some ingenuity on my part to make strawberry cheesecake cupcakes.
I'm also making oatmeal, white chocolate, cranberry cookies.

I find baking (and baking ) relaxing
Last edited by Ouisa on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

Ouisa wrote:It's not so much how I personally felt about BD that bothers me. It's the hate and the hacking and the wanking and losing my 750+ post count (I'm shallow. I admit it.)
Excuse me? I was over 1000 (not counting the ones in the newcomer section). I don't want to hear any complaints from you.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
Ouisa

Post by Ouisa »

Did I mention shallow? I think so! Leave it to you to out-shallow Ouisa!
Of course I had 1300 posts before the lexicon pruned things.
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

Thank you. No one is capable of out-shallowing, arrogance-ing, self-centered-ing and, of course, out-dressing me. Glad to have that settled.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

Girls, girls! (sounding like "Mother" used to with that nasal tone to my sister and I) Now come on. All of this bickering and none of it is about ME. How silly. The Godmother requests that you two get the ____ over the post count thing, the Godmother loves you and wants you both to move on.

Speaking of which, did Ouisa know another tidbit about the godmother - that smores are one of her all time favorite things ever? That she has been know to make them in a microwave when she is not camping and does not have an open fire?
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

I love learning new things! I am not the only one who has made a smore in the microwave. I am not a freak (well, maybe).
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Teak
Wandering Through Town

Post by Teak »

How has your obsession affected your kids?

Hey, they got some pretty darn fun vacations stemming from my obsession!! NYC, Volterra, and Forks.... As much as they like to "mock" me at times for my Twilight obsession, all I need to do is remind the younger one, she is the one responsible for my obsession! :D In all seriousness, I am actually very thankful; the Twilight series was a catalyst for a reconnection with my daughter at a difficult time in her life.
But I think one of the benefits of fandom (and the internet that makes it all possible) is that it makes these connections possible. Reading used to be such a solitary event. You read a book, maybe you talked about it with your friends some. But really that was all there was. Now there is this ability for connections...
Exactly! I think my kids see now that it's not really a Twilight obsession, as much as it has grown into these wonderful connections I've made online and in person.