The Third Table

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
37yearoldfan

Re: The Third Table

Post by 37yearoldfan »

dimber,

It's mon well probably tuesday for you! I am happy to oblige!

Of the four books in the Twilight Saga, what scene would you like to read from Edward's perspective? And of course tell us why!

I would really like to get Edward's perspective on Chapter 38 Power. It is when Edward realizes that is is Bella and her sheild that is protecting everyone from The Voulturi's mental punishments. I think he was awestruck and he did not say anything about it until the first page of chapter 39 "but what it really boiled down to was...Bella then later on in the same chapter, Bella could not believe the Volturi were afraid of her and Edward said "when will ever see yourself clearly?" Just the love and devotion he shows her, I would love to know what was going through his mind when they were fighting the Volturi.
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

Dimber, first off I love your beautiful new henna avie! Any one who has met me in RL knows I'm often hennaed, in fact my most recent one is just fading off my hands.

Books that have changed my life. A Circle of Quiet by Madeline L'Engle. Helped my figure out who I was or rather who I wanted to be and started me on the path of doing that. Memory and Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold. Changed my opinions about honor and oaths/vows/covenents; gave me the desire and the ability to walk away from my marriage 5 years ago.

I'm sure there are more....
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

I don't think I've had a book that changed my life per se, but I've had books that challenged me and supported me and were on my mind when confronted with an important decision. Two books that come quickly to mind are The Phantom Tollbooth and In the Eye of the Storm. Tollbooth isn't an amazing or even really well written book, but it's full of vocabulary and amusing references and it enticed my imagination with words. One of my favorite parts was when Milo was at the word bizarre and he came across a build-your-own words cart. He tasted the different letters and I could taste the juicy E's and the stale air taste of a Z. I discovered I loved words when I read that book in fourth grade.

I read Eye of the Storm when my grandmother died and my marriage was in a tough place. I was home for a week without kids for the funeral. I spent that week having my mother feed me, sleeping in, and being surrounded by extended family who loved me and told stories of my grandmother. It was a week of being cocooned in light and love. I read Eye of the Storm that week in the evenings when I went to bed. It was just an amazing testimony to me of problem solving and not giving up when you had little control over circumstances and expectations. I went home with a completely different perspective and I've often used stories from the book in teaching situations and talks. (Yes, it's the book that inspired the movie The Other Side of Heaven with Anne Hathaway, but the book is significantly better than the movie.)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Good morning all...here it's very early in the morning and I'm still a bit sleepy but it's the only time of the day when I have some free time.

It's very interesting to read other people's experiences with books, you never know what touch one's heart. Regarding me, for example, I must confess there are two books that have changed my life for different reasons but both in a very effective way.
1) "Gente d'Irlanda" It's a book by an Italian author on the Irish troubles. I read it when I was 12 and fell completely in love with Irish culture and literature. This has affected my whole life. Indeed, thanks for my love for Ireland I have studied literature and started the Ph.D instead of the M.Ed. Because of Ireland I've spent a lot of time abroad and met a lot of different people. That book and Ireland have had such a huge part in all the important choices in my life.
2) The Lord of the Rings. I find this trilogy so rich I can't spend too much time without re-reading my favourite parts. Apart from the enjoyable reading it is - Tolkien is really an amazing author - I think the message/s in the book make it one of the best ever. There is love, courage, compassion, fun, loyaty, friendship...it's my life manifesto!
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Apart from Twilight, is there any book that have changed your life? If so, why?

This is going to sound kind of dumb, but the Harry Potter series. Before I picked up Sorcerer's Stone, I didn't read. Harry Potter got me to read a little, but the Twilight Saga got me to read a lot! So, I attribute them both for my love of reading now.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Apart from Twilight, is there any book that have changed your life? If so, why?

"Where the Red Fern Grows" - I remember this book vividly from Elementary school. It helped me come to terms with death and life. As a little girl, I attended so many funerals and to me death was being alone. I was petrified of being alone. It got to a breaking point when I found MY dog (Pumpkin was my puppy given to me on my seventh birthday) dead at home. She had cut her neck on some wire (never found where) and died from shock. I never wanted another animal. The following year or so I read this book and it really did help me to come to grips with Pumpkin's death and death in general. I don't know why...but I found a lot of comfort in it. Still to this day when I read it, I cry, but I still feel such relief from it and peace.

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" my first romp into psychology. This is when I discovered how complicated and yet simple something can be. I loved the layers of this book and the fun, witty adventure. To be able to read the complete set made me realize how much more enjoyable reading is over watching television.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I don't have one that changed my life profoundly, but there are 2 that did open my eyes.

The "Anne of Green Gables" series were the first books I read for pleasure (books that were outside of class assignments). I was so touched by the friendship between Anne and Diana. My best friend and I took the "solemn swear" (oath) of friendship! Her family ended up moving just a short time after that, but I'll never forget that feeling.

Of course, "Twilight" and the "Harry Potter" series introduced me to the world of on-line fandom. I had never even heard of such a thing! It's been so nice to meet (kind of; I haven't met anyone physically) people from different walks of life who share a passion.
LisaCullenAZ
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by LisaCullenAZ »

It sounds so over-said but... The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were what got me reading again. I hadn't been all that into reading for so long (and to be honest, never have been as much as I am now). So I attribute both of those series with igniting that passion within me.

I also think Pride and Prejudice opened my eyes to a whole new type of reading. Wuthering Heights helped me to appreciate (and even enjoy) stories without happy endings. Ah, the list goes on!
...masterpiece created by Chaos. Thank you!
37yearoldfan

Post by 37yearoldfan »

LisaCullenAZ,

I think it is the same for me about the books. I read Lord Of The rings before I read HP. They are both very well written. I did not read much before that maybe a Stephen King book or 2. Now I have a whole library at home!

By the way are you in AZ? I am!
SparklingDiamond
Wandering Through Town

Post by SparklingDiamond »

I've always enjoyed a good survival story.

I absolutely love Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare and Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. They both tell stories of tests of the human spirit as well as lovely stories of friendship in unlikely places. I find them motivating to read in times where I feel stressed or overwhelmed. As in the Twilight series, well most of the series, these stories carry a theme of choice. The characters also have an inspirational spirit about them.