Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Director Catherine Hardwicke

Post by The Dark Knight »

CH just missed the meaning of the book entirely...It's a love story with a few climatic scenes not climatic scenes with a back drop of a love story...In my book she missed on both subjects...The fight scene was lame for a vampire fight and can anyone tell me what was up with the lack of the meadow scene...It's only the central theme of the whole book and we got what?

CH needs to stay off the wachy weed...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
di0772
Settled in Forks

Post by di0772 »

The Dark Knight wrote:CH just missed the meaning of the book entirely...It's a love story with a few climatic scenes not climatic scenes with a back drop of a love story...In my book she missed on both subjects...The fight scene was lame for a vampire fight and can anyone tell me what was up with the lack of the meadow scene...It's only the central theme of the whole book and we got what?

CH needs to stay off the wachy weed...
I wish people would stop blaming the budget. It is the director, writer and producers that make the film. The actors are the ones meant to bring the script to life.

It was like Melissa Rosenberg read the book a couple of years ago and then decided:

I remember reading a book I know I'll write a movie about a vampire who falls in love with a human. It feels like she wrote down all the lines in the book she felt she could use, then lost the book. While she was writing she was trying to remember how it went and when she couldn't she gave up and said it doesn't matter, I'll just add my own scene.

Then:
I'll ask Summit to make it because they need a blockbuster.
After that ask Stephenie if she would endorse it and let Summit use the name Twilight.
Then we'll cast Kristen Stewart as Bella. Who's acting is as good as a piece of cardboard. I know a 10yr who can deliver lines with more emotion than her.
And then cast Rob Pattinson as Edward - he should stick to singing, vampires are meant to glide and walk effortlessly. He was like the hunchback of notredame. There are way better male leads out there who look better and act better.
Throw in Jackson Rathbone as Jasper (don't get me wrong I love Jackson as an actor and I actually think he would have made a great Edward) but when he looks in pain he looks like he has something uncomfortable in his pants.
Let Catherine Hardwicke misdirect it (worst direction ever) and ruin the most important scene in the book - The Meadow
Make a fortune by aiming it 13,14, and 15 yr olds who cares about Stephenie's true fans and what they think and want the movie to be.
We'll rush it to get it finished and not worry about the details in the book, like the Cullen House(the outside is meant to be 100yrs old not a modern house) or what the characters actually wear.
Who cares that it doesn't respect the book because we'll make more money to ruin the rest of the series.

I want to know where the love story is because it went missing.

Oh hang on there are a couple of positives.
Ashley Greene - Alice, Billy Burke - Charlie, Kellan Lutz - Emmett - spot on casting.
Taylorn Launter is growing on me as Jacob but then he really didn't get much in Twilight to show his acting skills.
The soundtrack and score was fabulous.
.......nope can't think of any more

Just remember this is my opinion. You may or may not agree.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

di0772 wrote: Then we'll cast Kristen Stewart as Bella. Who's acting is as good as a piece of cardboard. I know a 10yr who can deliver lines with more emotion than her.
And then cast Rob Pattinson as Edward - he should stick to singing, vampires are meant to glide and walk effortlessly. He was like the hunchback of notredame. There are way better male leads out there who look better and act better.
I don't agree with this. Kristen has some weak moments in Twilight, I'll agree with that. But overall I think she was the perfect Bella. We could see how she didn't really fit in at school, her insecurities. We saw in her the endless devotion to Edward. I think she was strong in the fight scene and at prom. She was weaker in the hospital. But overall I think we saw a good performance for Kristen.
And regarding Rob...Okay, I'll admit as a Halfway House resident I may be biased in this one. But I think Rob was the perfect Edward. I can't imagine who else could have played that part to perfection the way he does. IMO the way he walked was perfect. In the hallway in school when he walked away after she asked him about his contacts...He had his head down and his back sort of slumped. It was all part of the charade, IMO. He couldn't glide effortlessly, because he was trying not to stand out from the other kids. And if you take look at 17 year old boys today..Most of them do not stand up straight :lol:
His look is like it's from another world. He can tell a story with his eyes only. His face is so expressional. I especially liked him in the emotional scenes, like the kiss. I also loved him when he jumped from the roof of her truck. He showed a happy, playful Edward.

di0772 wrote:Let Catherine Hardwicke misdirect it (worst direction ever) and ruin the most important scene in the book -The Meadow
Here I agree completely. CH was all wrong for this movie. She brought her own crazy ideas to the set, and it just didn't fit. She had the most amazing love story ever in front of her, and her chance to make it good, and she failed.
I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have her direct Twilight.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
di0772
Settled in Forks

Post by di0772 »

Dovrebanen wrote:
di0772 wrote: Then we'll cast Kristen Stewart as Bella. Who's acting is as good as a piece of cardboard. I know a 10yr who can deliver lines with more emotion than her.
I don't agree with this. Kristen has some weak moments in Twilight, I'll agree with that. But overall I think she was the perfect Bella. We could see how she didn't really fit in at school, her insecurities. We saw in her the endless devotion to Edward. I think she was strong in the fight scene and at prom. She was weaker in the hospital. But overall I think we saw a good performance for Kristen.
And regarding Rob...Okay, I'll admit as a Halfway House resident I may be biased in this one. But I think Rob was the perfect Edward. I can't imagine who else could have played that part to perfection the way he does. IMO the way he walked was perfect. In the hallway in school when he walked away after she asked him about his contacts...He had his head down and his back sort of slumped. It was all part of the charade, IMO. He couldn't glide effortlessly, because he was trying not to stand out from the other kids. And if you take look at 17 year old boys today..Most of them do not stand up straight :lol:
His look is like it's from another world. He can tell a story with his eyes only. His face is so expressional. I especially liked him in the emotional scenes, like the kiss. I also loved him when he jumped from the roof of her truck. He showed a happy, playful Edward.

di0772 wrote:Let Catherine Hardwicke misdirect it (worst direction ever) and ruin the most important scene in the book -The Meadow
Here I agree completely. CH was all wrong for this movie. She brought her own crazy ideas to the set, and it just didn't fit. She had the most amazing love story ever in front of her, and her chance to make it good, and she failed.
I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have her direct Twilight.

I don't agree because if Catherine and Melissa had this scene in the right place, Bella actually asks him whilst sitting in biology if he is wearing contacts. Also the book states that they all walk gracefully. Even though Edward states that they 'try to blend', it's hard for them because of their vampire traits. I like Rob's facial expressions, I think it's the fact that they describe him as ínhumanly beautiful (the face of an angel, could be a model) is what gets me. To me he's not, he's average whereas Jackson does have an angelic quality to his face.
Ishbel
Wandering Through Town

Post by Ishbel »

I really found her directing a bit dodgy, she appeared to be average at the action scenes but completely miss the whole point of the story i.e. it's a LOVE story! Bella and Edward's relationship appeared to go from nothing to full on within a matters of minutes which would make no sense to anyone who hadn't read the book.

I'm glad she's not directing New Moon I really am.

Overall I think it lacked character development, depth and its was disjointed, not really keeping to the book which infuriated me!

However I think the music in the film was a plus point and although both Rob and Kirsten falter at points I think they played Edward and Bella quite well.
Team Seth
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

So this is totally random. But I saw Catherine Hardwicke weekend before last in Venice, CA (where I'm fairly certain she lives). We were both walking along Abbott Kinney Blvd on Saturday night and stopped to look in the same shop window. She was tiny, and cute.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

The biggest issue in CH's decisions is her completely lack of understanding how important the Meadow scene is. It's the basis of the whole thing. When one disrespect or disregards its importance’s to the project they have missed the boat. It felt like CH wanted to get her personal quarks in more than capture the essence that is Twilight...Yes she made some great casting decision and the story was ok but it does not excuse her missing the point of the book. When I had a friend over & he saw the movie he couldn't believe the meadow scene was the bases of the movie/book. It just had so little in carrying them.

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Drunkster
Settled in Forks

Post by Drunkster »

I think she made great job with Twilight and also with movie "13", that`s unfortunately all her work I`ve seen.

I am sure she is great person. Anyway it is slighty annoying that she is kind of fan of Robert (and Kristen) and - sorry -
kind of got this feeling she is trying to ride on their fame :? Maybe I got wrong feeling and I apologize that.
Anyway there is no doubt she would not be hilarious in what she does