Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Twilight movie~ Who played it best?

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

Just like Kristen Stewart said, Robert wasn't all preoccupied with his looks, but getting the character down-pat. I think Robert Pattinson did an amazing job as Edward, and is like...perfect, looks and all. ( I have been a fan of Rob since before Twilight, and I think he is a goood actor!) ! Kristen Stewart was Bella...like...I don't know how to explain it, but she had that goofiness, that awkwardness that we read about in the Saga, but as much as she has those characteristics, she is very sarcastic and witty, which is also like how we knew Bella to be in the books. And Ashley Greene as Alice, was PERFECT! AHH!
ImageImage
E<3B
Alessandra_
Settled in Forks

Post by Alessandra_ »

I just re-noticed something that bothered me and I had to mention it...

Rob/Edward is chewing gum (or so it seems...) in a few scenes - most noticable the baseball scene and the 'Going to hell...' scene!

I assume chewing gum isn't the same as pizza, unless he swallowed it :D

I mentioned this to my boyfriend (who refuses so far to read any of the series but I'm working on that :) He DID come to see the film though, and enjoyed it) and he was like 'well, you said they didn't eat, right? Obviously he's creating the illusion of being human!!' and he said it in such a 'DUH!' kinda way... I think there's hope and maybe he'll be a Twilighter too :D
shortstuff
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by shortstuff »

Alessandra_ wrote:I just re-noticed something that bothered me and I had to mention it...

Rob/Edward is chewing gum (or so it seems...) in a few scenes - most noticable the baseball scene and the 'Going to hell...' scene!

I assume chewing gum isn't the same as pizza, unless he swallowed it :D

I mentioned this to my boyfriend (who refuses so far to read any of the series but I'm working on that :) He DID come to see the film though, and enjoyed it) and he was like 'well, you said they didn't eat, right? Obviously he's creating the illusion of being human!!' and he said it in such a 'DUH!' kinda way... I think there's hope and maybe he'll be a Twilighter too :D
LOL i like how he accepted the fact and was willing to come up with an explanation... i think there's hope for him yet.. !
Laina
Settled in Forks

Post by Laina »

I finally got round to watching the film today! *is proud*

I LOVED the performances by Ashley Green, Peter Facinelli, Kellan Lutz, Gil Birmingham, Elizabeth Reaser and Jackson Rathbone.

I really can't wait to see more of Billy Black/Gil in NM, he made me laugh so much!
isaella swan
Settled in Forks

Post by isaella swan »

as you said, edward and also bella are now stuck in my head as they are in the movie, there's no way anybody else cold do the job...carlisle, emmett and jasper come close to what i had imagined, esme almost though i think she should have been more lovely/delicate and rosalie looks too bitchy for me, i pictured her beautiful in such a way that she's almost too beautiful, if can follow me...and then alice, her character is portrayed perfectly, but i just don't get over her haircut! :D
perfection, eternity and true <3
TEAM EDWARD knight in shining volvo
twilightnewbie
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightnewbie »

-Jasper wrote:Most of the actors and actresses were good, but some who stood out were;

Peter playing Carlisle, he had a fairly small part, but he played it really well. He was exactly as I imagined him,
in personality and looks.
Ashley playing Alice, again she has had a fairly small part, but played it well. She has the enthusiam and bubbly-ness just right, and she looks pixie-like as well.
Jackson playing Jasper, he had a small part and I can't wait for New Moon and Eclipse where he has a bigger one, but I thought he was good.
Taylor playing Jacob, small part again, but he's really enthusiastic and Jacob-like. He has the huge grin as well, and I can't wait to see him in new moon

The not so good were;
Kristen playing Bella, she was good in some scenes, but she does need to be more happy. Bella has a sense of humour which we didn't see at all. Maybe that will come out later...:D
Hmm, did I see the same movie... The statement that "Bella has a sense of humor which we didn't see at all" just perplexes me. How about these instances:

1-During volleyball, "I guess that's why they kicked me out (of Arizona)", replying to Jessica's query "shouldn't people from Arizona be more tanned".
2-Edward: "what's in Jacksonville", Bella:"Floridians"
3-"Eating disorders or foam padding of Speedos on the swim team" in response to being questioned about what should be the lead article in the school newspaper.
4-"Not the moats", to Edward when he asks her at his house if she expected "coffins, dungeons, and moats"
5-"Edward doesn't live in town, technically", responding to her father when he says he didn't think she liked any boy in town.
6-"I'm glad I amuse you", to Edward when he jokes about her reaction to his invitation to meet his family.
7-"Would you at least try to act human", Bella to Edward when he jumps up on her truck
7-"I wish I were", in response to Edward saying he's stronger than he thought after he stops kissing her in her room.
8-"That sounds like me", reacting to her mothers version of how she got injured.
9-"Sorry I'm late, biology project", Bella to her Dad, explaining why she is late meeting him at the diner, referring to the time she is spending with Edward.
10."Zero weirdness", to Jessica, when Jessica asks if Bella is OK if she goes to prom with MIke (Bella is, of course, alluding to her situation with Edward)
11. "Like I said", to Edward after he verifies that her ID'ing of the slide in biology was correct.
12. "Ice is not the friend of the uncoordinated", after slipping on the ice in front of her house.
13. "False alarm, I guess", to Mike in the parking lot after he says "you're alive!"
14. "They're all very welcoming", in response to her Mom asking how the other kids at school are treating her.
I think these examples show perfectly Bella's dry, sarcastic wit.
Last edited by twilightnewbie on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Her blood entices
Out of dangerous desire
A thirsting for love
littlelamb
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by littlelamb »

twilightnewbie wrote:
-Jasper wrote:Most of the actors and actresses were good, but some who stood out were;

Peter playing Carlisle, he had a fairly small part, but he played it really well. He was exactly as I imagined him,
Ashley playing Alice, again she has had a fairly small part, but played it well. She has the enthusiam and bubbly-ness just right, and she looks pixie-like as well.
Jackson playing Jasper, he had a small part and I can't wait for New Moon and Eclipse where he has a bigger one, but I thought he was good.
Taylor playing Jacob, small part again, but he's really enthusiastic and Jacob-like. He has the huge grin as well, and I can't wait to see him in new moon

The not so good were;
Kristen playing Bella, she was good in some scenes, but she does need to be more happy. Bella has a sense of humour which we didn't see at all. Maybe that will come out later...:D
Hmm, did I see the same movie... The statement that "Bella has a sense of humor which we didn't see at all" just perplexes me. How about these instances:

1-During volleyball, "I guess that's why they kicked me out (of Arizona)", replying to Jessica's query "shouldn't people from Arizona be more tanned".
3-"Eating disorders or foam padding of Speedos on the swim team" in response to being questioned about what should be the lead article in the school newspaper.
4-"Not the moats", to Edward when he asks her at his house if she expected "coffins, dungeons, and moats"
5-"Edward doesn't live in town, technically", responding to her father when he says he didn't think she liked any boy in town.
6-"I'm glad I amuse you", to Edward when he jokes about her reaction to his invitation to meet his family.
7-"Would you at least try to act human", Bella to Edward when he jumps up on her truck
7-"I wish I were", in response to Edward saying he's stronger than he thought after he stops kissing her in her room.
8-"That sounds like me", reacting to her mothers version of how she got injured.
9-"Sorry I'm late, biology project", Bella to her Dad, explaining why she is late meeting him at the diner, referring to the time she is spending with Edward.
10."Zero weirdness", to Jessica, when Jessica asks if Bella is OK if she goes to prom with MIke (Bella is, of course, alluding to her situation with Edward)
11. "Like I said", to Edward after he verifies that her ID'ing of the slide in biology was correct.
12. "Ice is not the friend of the uncoordinated", after slipping on the ice in front of her house.
13. "False alarm, I guess", to Mike in the parking lot after he says "you're alive!"

I think the problem is that the humor is in the lines but not so much in the way that Kristen delivered them. She doesn't really have much emotion or expression in her tone or face for that matter. I know that Bella is supposed to be sarcastic and all but Kristen didn't really nail that. Sometimes her performance felt very monotone and flat to me. Looks wise, Kristen is very much Bella but I'm really hoping she can channel some better acting skills for New Moon because there is a lot of emotion I am expecting to see. I am not saying she did a horrible job but I think she could do better and needs to try.
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

littlelamb wrote:
twilightnewbie wrote:

The not so good were;

I think the problem is that the humor is in the lines but not so much in the way that Kristen delivered them. She doesn't really have much emotion or expression in her tone or face for that matter. I know that Bella is supposed to be sarcastic and all but Kristen didn't really nail that. Sometimes her performance felt very monotone and flat to me. Looks wise, Kristen is very much Bella but I'm really hoping she can channel some better acting skills for New Moon because there is a lot of emotion I am expecting to see. I am not saying she did a horrible job but I think she could do better and needs to try.
I guess I tend to be in the minority who think that Kristen Stewart captured my vision of book Bella pretty well. I'm currently re-reading Twilight, and I see Bella as being somewhat insecure, practical, and someone who didn't want to draw extra attention to herself by showing a lot of emotion (like Jessica might). She did have a fairly sarcastic and dry sense of humor, making jokes at her own expense every so often, especially in comparison to the perfection she saw as Edward. I guess that's why I don't see Kristen's performance as emotionless or flat, but instead I saw her performance as more understated and restrained. Kristen definitely exhibited more visible emotion in certain scenes, especially the "goodbye" scene with her father; when Bella and Edward left the baseball game as she realized James was hunting her; the ballet studio scene; and the hospital scene when Edward tried to convince Bella to leave him.

I saw Kristen in "Into the Wild", and I thought she gave a stand-out performance in the little screen time she was given. It will be interesting to see if she can pull off the hopelessness and despair conveyed by Bella in "New Moon"; but I think she is up to the task.

Because the love story was rushed in Twilight, I hope they can accurately depict the intensity and depth of Edward and Bella's love before the birthday party scene in New Moon. Otherwise Bella's utter desolation when Edward leaves will just seem sort of random. I guess only time will tell...
Banner by TammyAZ
shortstuff
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by shortstuff »

littlelamb wrote:
i second that.. i didnt hate her, but i thought she could have done a better job, and not have been so monotone and flat all the time (but she kind of talks like that in real life, so maybe that's not really changeable..) im hoping with better direction, she will do a good job in NM.
littlelamb
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by littlelamb »

shortstuff wrote:
littlelamb wrote:
i second that.. i didnt hate her, but i thought she could have done a better job, and not have been so monotone and flat all the time (but she kind of talks like that in real life, so maybe that's not really changeable..) im hoping with better direction, she will do a good job in NM.
Yes, you are right. She is like that in her normal day to day life. Which is another reason why I think her acting could be better. There is no definition between herself and Bella. When you act, you need to BECOME the character, not just spew forth lines that the person is supposed to say. Perhaps her flat monotone unemotional voice is a result from being super relaxed from her "recreational" activities involving the herbage! :lol: