Chapter 12 ~ Time

Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Re: Chapter 12 ~ Time

Post by Jazzy »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long?

At the end of New Moon, after the family vote, Edward knew he had no choice but to change her. It was only a matter of how long he can stall her. He wanted her to experience as much human memories as she can, college, etc... so I think after much debate between them, he finally caved and agreed to do it provided they get married first, again so Bella does not miss another human event.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her?

Edward still stands by many of his 1900 principles, Marriage is very important to him, as a 17 year old, if he was not so into enlisting and going to war, he would have found a girl and made it his obsession to win her hand. He wants Bella bound to him, not by need or danger of the Volturi, but by her own choice, which would show by her decision to make her his in every way, legally and eternally.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely?

I never understood why she was dead set against it, when she was willing to give up humanity for him. I don't think she understood herself.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?

The fact that he can't hear her mind. Edward is still full of insecurities and self loathing that he cannot imagine why in the world Bella could love him as much as he loves her.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?

No. He must see that changing Bella was inevitable. Everything was pointing in that direction. Yet he feels selfish, as he knows this would make her his forever, and he still feels unworthy of that.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long? He knows that it will happen either by him or Carlisle and he might as well be the one to do it if that's what Bella wants.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her? I just figured it was a way to delay her. He knows he wants to marry her but figures she will want to wait awhile.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely? For me her reaction makes sense for Bella. Her reasons because she's not that girl who gets married right out of high school are valid. I don't blame her at all!

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him? I don't know.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him? He believes it's selfish because he thinks it's just so she can stay w/him forever. But if Bella wants it it's not selfish on his part.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long?

He sees how determined she is to be changed and has accepted its inevitability. He simultaneously sees it as an opportunity to get something he wants AND to make Bella happy.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her?

Yes, there is certainly more to it. Edward is an old fashioned guy with old fashioned values. He wants to be tied to Bella in every human way possible before they are tied forever because Bella is a vampire.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely?

I think it's part that she doesn't feel ready to be married, and part that she hasn't yet chosen between Edward and Jacob -- or admitted to herself that she loves Jacob. Without this revelation she is going to have nagging doubts.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?

Contrary to popular believe, Edward isn't perfect. He still has his doubts and on some level he may suspect Bella's feelings for Jacob.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?

Well, Edward may consider it selfish but it is also a sacrifice for him. I don't think Edward would plan on changing Bella if she didn't want it so much so in that case it's not morally weak.

Image Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

He realises that she's eventually going to be changed soon..

He wants to be tied to her in every human way first. And maybe if they're married, then Jacob would leave them alone ;)

I hate it how she cares about what other people think more than being with the one she loves forever. If I was truly in love now, I'd marry him. I don't she why she's against it. I thought she would've married him right then and there.

He can never know what Bella is really thinking. And he thinks he's the lowest of low, and that no one could, or should love him.

Hes prepared to do it because Bella wants him to. He would do anything for her. He wants her to be immortal, and she wants to be aswell. I don't think hes weak, He's been holding back all this time.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I still don't think he really wants her to be a vampire at all because he doesn't want to damn her. But, he seems to finally get that one way or the other she IS going to be a vampire, so he might as well accept it.

There seem to be a couple of reasons he wants her to marry him first. First, he still (for some ridiculous reason) does not think Bella loves him as much as he loves her and he thinks she just wants to be immortal. Secondly, he becoming immortal is a huge commitment, and if she is prepared to make that commitment then she should be prepared to commit herself to him. Marrying Edward would prove that Bella loves him more than she wants immortality and she is willing to make the commitment.

Bella is panicked for the obvious reasons; she is very young and she does not want to have the same issues her parents did. However, marrying him would also mean that she really is going to become a vampire and she is also freaking out about that. No, I don't think she completely understands why she is so panicked about marrying Edward. She knows her reasons for being freaked out about marriage and she admits that she would like more time to prepare for becoming a vampire, but I don't think she has linked the two yet.

Being immortal can be quite appealing to some people because you cannot die and you can do virtually anything. He still sees himself as a monster and still cannot think of a reason for Bella to love him enough to stay with him for all of time, so he assumes she just wants immortality. Since he can't hear her thoughts he can't know for sure what she is really after, which is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Changing Bella would be selfish, to Edward, because he could keep her foreve without anything to get in their way. He would only change her if she agrees to marry him, and her agreeing to marry him would prove that she wants to be with him forever and that she might actually just love him. I don't really think its immoral. She knows what she is getting herself into and what she wants and they would both be happier if she were immortal. It would only be wrong if she was completely against a vampire.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

After the vote, he knew that it was going to happen anyway sometime in the near future. And I think he wants her to become a vampire for himself, it is just that he doesn't want to take anything away from her. But knowing that it will happen anyway, he might as well accept it.

He wants to delay her, but there is more to it. Like he says: He is that boy... He wants to get married, he is ready and he has been waiting so long. He wants to be tied to her in every possible way.

I don't understand her reasons....I mean; yes she is young, but she loves him. She wants to spend forever with him, and she wants to become a vampire to be with him. Marriage seems like a much smaller commitment. And she shouldn't pay so much attention to others. Her situation is not the same as Renee and Charlie. And who cares what everybody else thinks? It's what you feel that matters.

Edward is very insecure. He does not see himself as worthy of being loved. He can't understand how she could want to be with him, knowing what he is.

No, it is not weak of him. He knows that it will happen sooner or later. And maybe even he sees it as more special if he does it, rather than Carlisle. He thinks it is selfish because it's what he wants, but he does not want it for Bella. But I don't see it as selfish. Bella made a decision, and Edward is not forcing her to go through with it. He is doing the oppsite.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Tonya

Post by Tonya »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long? Because it's what she wants and he wants to make her happy. It is the only way they can be together forever. I think he would be OK either way but he knows she won't be.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her? The delay is only part of it. Like he said he is a man of the early 1900's he loves her he want's to marry her. Plus since he is so old fashioned it will make her an"honest" woman.

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely? I don't really get her reasoning. He loves him. She never cared what people thought of her before why would she start now. However everyone has an ides of they type of person they will become when they grow up. Those idea's are hard to throw away.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him? She brings the human out in him. Self doubt is a very human emotion. People need to hear things sometime in order to believe them.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him? Like I said in the 1st question I think it's because it's what she wants he's trying to make her happy. He's not a "stupid man" like he said in New Moon he's learning to give Bella what she wants before she gets herself into trouble. Plus this is the only way for them to be together forever
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

I love this conversation in the book. I think Edward realizes just a little bit that someday Bella will become a vampire..so better for him to do it. It would at least be somewhat special this way. Also, since she is in no hurry to get married...this will prolong her human time and I'm sure he likes that.

I think since the era he grew up in or should I say human in he is somewhat old fashioned. He has found the one he loves and wants to marry her and have his last name and such.

Bella is afraid ppl will critique her and also b/c she grew up w/ her parents being divorced so it was never an important thing to her. However, I can't beleive she wouldn't marry Edward in a heartbeat. ;)

He doesn't know what Bella is thinking so he has a lot of doubts sometimes.

No, I don't think it is weak. He is selfish b/c he wants her, but she wants him. Also, he would pretty much do anything Bella asks for.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

alice probably said something that set him off! :lol:

i think he's playing it safe. he wants to marry her, but still delay the changing a bit longer. so yes, there is strategy to it.

i dont think bella had her priorities straight. if edward is what she wanted and nothing else mattered, what was the big deal?

i dont know, edward has a very strange mind!

i think its backwards. if its the worst thing he will do, but he is willing to do it, what is the point?? :!: :?:
Betting on Alice.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

He loves her and really wants to marry her, he sees it as her only way

Edward knows marrige = sex and he's old fashion so he wants to marry her first and he 'wont' have sex with her till she's changed.

She's not old fashion she dosen't see getting married at 18 as a senseable ting. I don't think she understands her reasons.

Beacuse he can't read her mind and that makes him question himself.

Beacue he knows it's what she wants, and no.
**Kathryn**