Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Chapter 17 ~ Alliance

Post by twilightmom »

I hope I'm in the right place... I don’t have copies of the books with me (I'm so ashamed), so I’m hoping I’m in the correct place. Has anyone wondered about the “crystal” Edward gave to Bella for her charm bracelet? What was Alice talking about when she questioned the diamonds? Was the charm a real diamond? If so, was Edward lying to Bella? That bothered me. If I'm in the wrong place to ask this, will someone direct the newbie to the correct place? Thanks!

Further clarification... I guess I was questioning if the diamond really is his grandmothers, and a little trinket - as he said... I was under the impression that if it was a real diamond, maybe he was lying it was his grandmothers - because that would have been some expensive piece of jewelry. Do we know much about his family's wealth? Like I said, I was thinking if he lied about the value (a diamond), then did he go and buy it for her and just pretend. (Since I don't have the book, I cannot re-read the passage... Did he actually tell her is wasn't a diamond?)
Last edited by twilightmom on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by switzgal »

twilightmom wrote:I hope I'm in the right place... I don’t have copies of the books with me (I'm so ashamed), so I’m hoping I’m in the correct place. Has anyone wondered about the “crystal” Edward gave to Bella for her charm bracelet? What was Alice talking about when she questioned the diamonds? Was the charm a real diamond? If so, was Edward lying to Bella? That bothered me. If I'm in the wrong place to ask this, will someone direct the newbie to the correct place? Thanks!
I believe it was a diamond heart. That's why Alice was wondering why Bella was opposed to wearing her engagement ring when she was already wearing a diamond heart from Edward.

I think it was so interesting how SM picked the right objects for Edward and Jacob's charm on the bracelet.

Jacob's was handmade of wood- (to me this makes me picture Jacob outdoorsy, with not a lot of money, good with his hands, crafty and very patient [carving a small piece of wood, takes time and effort]. It also shows how much work Jake had to go through for Bella.

Edward's was a hand me town from his grandmother. (to me this shows that Edward is sentimental, yet his past family had money [diamond], he has great taste, but at the same time when it comes to Bella, he doesn't have to work so hard (except for the part of him trying not to kill her). She just fell in his lap (just like the diamond heart that was inherited from his grandmother) because she loves him unequivocally.
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

I was just pouring through some of the Personal Corr. on the Lexicon pages and saw that Edward came from wealth. Now I feel a bit better... Here, I was thinking he bought the diamond heart and passed it off as family so Bella would keep it. Phew. Faith restored in Edward!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

1. Do you think the majority of the people came to the party to celebrate with Bella or just to see the inside of the Cullen's house?

Most of them probably came to see the house, but there were a few that came just for Bella. I mean come on, who wouldn't want to go to the biggest party being held at the "mysterious" Cullen house?

2. Were you as surprised as Bella was that Jacob came to the party? Would you have asked him to leave?

Not really, Jake has the normal trouble maker, bad Why are we talking about a donkey? attitude. He would so crash a party! lol Plus Bella invited him anyways.

3. Do you think Jacob's gift of the bracelet was more of a reminder to Bella or to Edward about his friendship and devotion to her?

I think it was more for Edward, but I think he wanted Bella to have something she would see everyday, to remind her of him, even if she was with Edward. Plus Edward would see her wearing it and it would probably make him jealous, so Jake had a few motives for this.

4. How did you feel about the alliance that was formed between the wolves and the vampires? Was it something you had expected for a while or were you surprised?

I wasn't really suprised. I mean they all want to make sure Bella is safe, and the wolves know that the vampires have never broken the treaty. Plus I mean come on, the chapter was titled Alliance..... lol.

5. Did you think the alliance was going to work or did you have concerns over their ability to actually work together?

I knew it was going to work. They have to work together to save Bella.
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

Do you think the majority of the people came to the party to celebrate with Bella or just to see the inside of the Cullen's house?
I think that they came to see the Cullens house. Maybe a couple of them came to see Bella.

2. Were you as surprised as Bella was that Jacob came to the party? Would you have asked him to leave?
No. Isn't she the one that invited him? Even after the fight they got into because he kissed her. I wouldnt have asked im to leave. I think it was great that he was there.

3. Do you think Jacob's gift of the bracelet was more of a reminder to Bella or to Edward about his friendship and devotion to her?
I think it was more of a reminder for Bella. That he is always going to be there for her.

4. How did you feel about the alliance that was formed between the wolves and the vampires? Was it something you had expected for a while or were you surprised?
I as actually pretty shocked. I didnt think that they would be able to work together.

5. Did you think the alliance was going to work or did you have concerns over their ability to actually work together?
I thought that it would work. I didnt see why there would be a problem, if they tried really hard ya know?
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

1. Do you think the majority of the people came to the party to celebrate with Bella or just to see the inside of the Cullen's house?
I think Lauren and Jessica came to see the house, Mike, Angela and Ben came to celebrate with Bella, and everyone else, it's a bit of a tie.

Haha, no I wasn't surprised at all. That is SO Jacob. I probably would have asked him to leave, really hoping that he wouldn't.

I didn't even think about Edward (except for how he would react), but that's an excellent question. I'm thinking... both. Hah, he really doesn't fight so fair, does he?

I had expected it a little bit, but I was still a little surprised. I was shocked that they all got so animated about it... especially Alice and Jake, because we all know they have their differences.

I had a few concerns, but when it came down to it, I was sure that it'd work. It had to... they had people on each team who were more concerned about saving Bella than fighting with each other.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ChristinasHeadache »

Definitely the Cullen house... Bella was only liked by a few people, and didn't even know most of the others.

No, I was not surprised after he was there. But truthfully before he showed, I had forgotten his entire existence.

I think it was for Bella. More than just a reminder though, I think he wanted to see her reaction to having some reminder of him around. Like he wanted to know if she cared enough about him to wear it.

I can't say I expected it, but I was hoping they would stop being so silly about things and just pull together to fight a common enemy.

I thought they might have some trouble, but not a fight. Both sides cared about the treaty too much to start a blood bath.
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia

Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Most came for the house.

Yes, I was surprised and Yes, I would have asked him to leave.

Both.

I was surprised, but I like it.

I was hoping it was going to work, but I wasn't sure in reality.
zoelynn602
Wandering Through Town

Post by zoelynn602 »

A mixture of both, graduation parties are fun, but everyone really wanted to see the Cullen's home.

Yes i was surprised, Jacob hates the cullens. I would have asked him to leave, i would have still been very angry with him.

More of a reminder to Bella, he does care about her.

I was pretty surprised, but then again, Victoria had provided both of them with a common enemy.

I thought the alliance would work. Common enemies creates some of the strongest alliances.
I cannot live in a world where you don't exist...
patricac
Settled in Forks

Post by patricac »

They were definitely there to see the Cullen’s house. Bella only really had 3 high school friends, which were really friends (Angela, Ben, Mike).

I wasn’t surprised that Jacob came to the party. He liked confrontations and didn’t shy away from them. He also didn’t mind putting Bella in awkward situations. I would have asked him to leave, if I thought he was going to cause problems.

I think a little of both. Jacob said he would fight for Bella.

I wasn’t surprised. I did expect that they would eventually band together against the “bad” vampires.

I did have some questions on whether the pack would be able to keep it together. It seemed that they were a little more volatile with their emotions and the Cullen’s were more under control. Plus, the pack looked at the Cullen’s as enemies – they only reason they phased to begin with was because of their presence in Forks. It’s understandable that the pack would have some animosity towards them.