A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 6 ~ Friends

Post by golden x sunshine »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
-pretty much, yeah. bella was the only human in forks who was like actually close to them; everyone else avoided them a little bit, so to them nothing really changed.

2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why?
-hmmm, i dont really remeber this part so i can't say for sure =/

3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year?
-bella needs more distractions to keep herself from thinking about edward and if shes invisible, shes not really gonna make a lot of friends that way. bella just wants to been seen, and not forgotten about, because she thinks that edward had forgotten about her.

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing?
-the new bella definetly makes charlie a lot happier. he doesnt have to see his depressed and detached daughter anymore. charlie puts all of bellas new changes onto jacob.

5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did?
-at this point, i knew it was going to be important, but i still didnt know why or what was going to happen, and i didnt expect it to turn out to be werewolfs !
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
Probably not. I can imagine the hospital has been affected with Carlisle leaving and that also affects the people of Forks. Then all the girls in the school who must've had a crush on one of the Cullen boys have to have been affected too, right? Maybe they didn't say it out loud, but I can imagine that they were slightly disappointed when they left. :lol: But then of course, since the Cullens were rather on their own, everyone's lifes just went on without a real change in actions because the Cullens were never an active part of it.

2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why?
I don't know. I think it would've been irrelevant to the book if Bella would've dreamt of pink bunnies so I just think it's something Stephenie Meyer put in there, you know, to give us a clue.

3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year?
I don't think she ever wants to be visible.

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing?
Yeah, I think he's well aware of the fact that it's all part of Jacob's doing. Seeing Bella happy makes Charlie happy so I guess that's why he supports her contact with Jake that much.

5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did?
Not really. I just thought that the bear would become a part of the story. Something like Bella almost being eaten by the bear and maybe Edward coming over to save her from it. (I was still convinced he was out there somewhere, lurking.)
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
Well..Bella is affected the most. I think obviously the town noticed that the Cullens were not there anymore and the hospital probably missed Carlisle. Other than that I don't think the town was affected because they didn't talk to them to begin with.

Bella's dreams are always a step ahead of her. So I though this was a clue to a bigger plot.

Because is not the same. She is not a new student for one, she made a couple friends and now that she is waking up from the numbness she realizes how distant she has been.

Charlie seems relieved that Bella is getting alittle better and yes I think he knows that Jacob is responsible for this change.

I knew there was more to the plot...i wondered about werewolves but I thought no I am probably wrong . ha.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~she is affected the most.

~her dreams always foreshadow something. lol

~shes not the same anymore.

~he realizes its jacob that is starting to cheer her up and he likes it.

~i was starting to be more worried now that it would find her, seeing that shes a danger magnet.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence? No, I think that Angela is affected by them leaving too. "Nothing's changed" because no one seemed to notice that they even left.

2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why? Sam Uley is watching her look. Yes, Bella's perception of Sam changed because she's worried about Jake.

3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year? She doesn't want to be treated like she's not there, when last year, when everyone was noticing her, she wanted to not be noticed. (does that make sense?)

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing? He is happy that she's happy. He can see how much Jacob changed her.

5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did? I still blew it off.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
readmymind
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by readmymind »

It appears like Bella's the only one affected b/c we don't hear what any other students are thinking and we don't know about the wolves yet.

I'll have to re-read it.

Last year she didn't need to be distracted.

He's glad his daughter seems to be happy again and he probably has a good idea it's mostly Jacob's doing.

I didn''t expect it to come out the way it did.
Midnight Sun: She was dreaming of me. And it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me stay with her, there in the dream.--Edward Cullen
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?
I don't think that just Bella was effected. When the Cullens left, they left behind a vengeful vampire that came back to forks. Plus them already having been there set things in motion that changed the boys in La Push to wolves. The phrase "Nothing Changed" means that the changing is still happening with the wolves. That it has already began and it hasn't stopped. The wolf pack keeps growing and hasn't stopped just because the Cullens left.

I'm not sure. She knows that Sam found her that night the Cullens left. Then she was hearing that Sam was in some kind of Cult. Things can get confusing.

Maybe because she cared about the ones she was around and wanted to be a part of whatever they were doing.

Yeah, he said that Jacob was bringing Bella back from that deep depression. Not that is was completely Okay but there was a lot of improvement.

I thought that is was something more. Since I knew some wolves were coming in the picture I figured that it was something along those lines.
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I'm sure there was some affect on the hospital because Carlisle left. But, for the most part, the Cullens kept to themselves. So, as far as I can tell, Bella was really the only one affected at this point.

I don't really remember this part.

Last year she was the new girl and she didn't want to stick out from the rest of the crowd. Having been the new girl I completely understand that. I don't think she actually wants to be the center of attention this year, she just needs to be noticed enough to have a few distractions.

Charlie is happy that Bella seems to be happier. I'm not sure he knows exactly how much Jacob has helped Bella, but I think he knows Jake has something to do with it.

Right away I thought the bear would become important, otherwise it wouldn't have been mentioned at all. I had no idea what was going on with the bear. I figured it would be some other kind of supernatural thing because Bella seems to attract those lol. However, I had no idea what it would actually be.
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

These questions were provided by the lovely Seraphyn.

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence?'
I think that everyone notices--the Cullens were hard to miss--but I don't think that anyone was as affected as Bella. I think that the "nothing changed" refers to how people are--Lauren and Jessica are still the same, as are the rest of the people in Forks. Bella is the only one profoundly affected and changed by their absence.

I think it is Bella's subconscious warning her about Sam--trouble is brewing. She's been around Jacob's family and the res a lot, and she knows the history between the Quileutes and the Cullens, so that may be impacting her perception of him. Also, maybe Jacob's feelings toward Sam at this point may be making themselves known to Bella.

Well, last year she was "the main attraction" when she arrived and that made her very uncomfortable. Now that it's a year later, she's lost Edward, and she's "awake", she's realizing just how out of it she is and how ALONE. I think that she just needs the distraction of friends to help her avoid the pain of her loss.

I think that Charlie is relieved that she's no longer in her "zombie" state and he directly attributes it to Jacob.

Yes, I did realize that this was important. I thought, huh--werewolf? My mind was heading in that direction, but not to the full extent that it went.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1) Is Bella the only one affected by the Cullens leaving? How has "nothing changed" in their absence? The rest of the town pretty much ignored the Cullens and stayed away from them. So for the rest of the town there's not much of a difference.

2) Why is the dream different than before? Did Bella's renewed contact with Jacob's family change her perception of Sam Uley? How so and why? don't know for sure. don't remember this part.

3) Why would Bella not want to be invisible now, when she wanted to be invisible last year? She was the new girl & hated the attention being the new kid in school garners you (I've been there & it sucks!) I think now some attention could help distract her.

4) How is Charlie affected by this new Bella? Does he perceive how much of it is Jacob's doing? He's probably happier since she seems to be. And he's not going to have to always be worrying about her. He probably thinks Jacob is helping.

5) This is the second mention of the monstrous black bear. Did you realize at this point that there was more to it than that? What did you think was going on? Did you think it would turn into what it did? I really had no idea. I figured it would probably kill someone in town and cause a panic.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson