A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 16 ~ Carlisle

Post by MoonlitRose »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?

The most surprising thing, for me, was that Carlisle tried to starve himself. After all, everyone knows vampires are undead. They really didn't need to breathe, and since they're already technically dead, it makes sense that they're hard to get rid of for good.

The fact that Carlisle tried to kill himself before he became something he detested was surprising, because that would be extremely hard to surpress in himself.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?

I was a bit disturbed when I realized that Edward drank from humans, even if they were bad. I was quite surprised, considering he lived with Carlisle, and all. I thought he had been using animals this whole time after becoming a vampire.

It does seem reasonable, but still . . . It would have been so easy to go all the way to any human, no matter what they've done.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!

Heheh... Oh, I don't know. I never thought about it reading Twilight. I never thought about it until Eclipse, when Bella was sleeping over (hostage) with Alice.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?

Bella now knows everything from what Edward could do to her to how hard it is for him, that he could kill her at any moment, yet she's willing to risk it all. All the cards are now on the table, yet she wants him anyway. It would be freeing.
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill?
Well, it wasn't exactly a surprise that vampires are difficult to kill... I was quite astonished though by the way Charlisle managed to abstain from drinking blood for such a long time. I wouldn't have thought it possible for a vampire to have that kind of self-control. Of course I was also a bit surprised by the fact that vampires don't need to breathe but Charlisle's behaviour amazed me more.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans?
It didn't surprise me at all and I approved of his choice of victims.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!
I sort of expected him to get a bed pretty soon.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
There are no secrets between them anymore. Edward is happy and relieved that Bella didn't react the way he feared (running away screaming). I think he finally realized that Bella is serious about her wanting to be with him no matter what the circumstances may be.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. We learn quite a bit about the physiology of vampires in this chapter as Edward tells Carlisle's story. Which the most surprising thing you discovered - that they didn't need to breathe, that Carlisle tried to starve himself, or that they are very difficult to kill? Carlisle trying to starve himself was the most surprising to me.

2. How did you feel about Edward's confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised? Or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable? What do you think of his choice to kill only "bad" humans? I had wondered about this up to this point. I knew his family were vegetarians, but I wondered if they'd always been that way, and what made them choose that lifestyle. I thought it was reasonable; I mean, he IS a vampire after all. I think that his choice of killing "bad" humans fits it with his character and his not wanting to be a monster.

3. We get our first peek into Edward's room, which isn't really a bed room since it has no bed. Given the interest most fans have in all things romantic where these vampires are concerned, how long do you think it will take Edward to actually get a bed...if he ever gets one at all? Snigger...you know I had to ask!LOL- I've read all the books, so I know that answer. Here's another difference in SM's world... the only other vampire stuff I know is Buffy and Angel, and those vamps sleep.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specfially changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden? He told Bella everything about himself yesterday in the meadow... his world is no longer a mystery to her, and there are no secrets between them.
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

That they didn't need to breathe.

I thought, like Bella, that it sounded reasonable. I think it was a good choice for him.

lol... It won't take very long at all. Even though they don't have a "sexual" relationship (yet) there are going to be times that she stays there.

They understand each other more than they did.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

Nothing really surprised me, it's kinda what i expect from supernatural creatures.

I was shocked but understanding, even the best of us fall off the wagon. Yes, I was surprised. Well at least when he did drink off humans he got rid of the scum.

Well I know he gtes one in eclipse. mmm, edward.

edward understood he couldn't live without her and would like their time to be precious since he was still unwilling to change her.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

actually...nothing surprised me in this chapter. for me, anything is possible with vampires, or anything that is myth or supernatural.

i was more like Bella. its reasonable to think that he gave into his nature. plus the way Edward describes it as a rebelious stage, as if it was parallel to the stages of humans, made sense to me. im so glad that he decided to only kill monsters. i know he would never hunt just anyone.

hahaha i already know when he gets a bed!!! haha i was expecting it anyways. he thinks things through down to the last detail, so what if Bella got sleepy whenever she was at his house? of course he would get her a comfy bed to sleep in and so he can watch her sleep.

they both truly admit, saying the actual words, that they love each other. plus he doesnt have to sleep. so it was like two days later for him and he thought things through again down to that last detail. he told her everything all the truth and when she doesnt react the way he was expecting he further decides that he loves Bella and the she really does love him too. allowing him to be a little more comfortable.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

That they didn't need to breathe because I've never heard that before in any other vampire story. It doesn't surprise me at all that vampires are difficult to kill. Hearing that Carlisle tried to starve/kill himself didn't really surprise me either by the time Edward had reached that point in his story.

I wasn't too surprised. Edward had already explained that Carlisle had the cleanest record, followed by Rosalie, so I knew the others had fed from humans at some point. He describes Emmett's slip ups so I was thinking Edward must have also made a few mistakes, but it wasn't hard for me to see him going off on his own once he told Bella about it. I think his choice to kill "bad" humans was an attempt at still keeping his conscience clear while soothing his own pain. It was noble in it's own way

I never really thought about the lack of bed. It seemed natural since he doesn't sleep. I was surprised when he actually did get one in Eclipse. I thought the couch sounded cozy enough when he "attacked" Bella that first time they were in his room.

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
He keeps analyzing her reactions to every new piece of information he gives her. As he says, he's waiting for her to run away screaming. Each time that she absorbs something without shock or horror, I imagine it gets easier for him to open up to her.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

They don't need to breathe, mainly because I've never heard that before in any vampire story.

I thought that it was expected, I mean he is a VAMPIRE. Edward's choice to only kill "bad" people made me fall even harder for him. Gahhhhh!!!

Idk. I've already read the 3rd book soo, yeah..
I never actually thought about it at the time, but now that I look back I figured he would get one for if Bella ever stayed over.

That there is no more secrets. They know SO much about each other and this allowed him to be very open with Bella.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I can't quite remember, but I think that I was surprised to learn that they don't need to breathe.

I wasn't really surprised by it. I guess it seemed sort of obvious that he might have. I think it was somewhat justifiable for him to only kill "bad" humans but I can see how it eventually wore on his heart.

LOL. I was wondering, when I first read the chapter, if Edward might eventually get a bed...but it's the start of their relationship so I couldn't really speculate too much. ;)

I think it's because he is so "dazzled" by Bella's return of affection towards him. He is obviously elated to have the girl he has fallen for, return the favor. Even though he knows it's wrong, his human instincts tell him it's right to love her. This is where we see his euphoric state of love for the first time and it's so sweet. I ALSO think that Bella's TOTAL acceptance for WHAT he is has allowed him to be free.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
ashiekins16
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ashiekins16 »

I think they all kind of shocked me a little bit. Maybe the fact that Carlisle tried to starve himself. He didn't seem like that..but I guess he had to do something to become the way he is.

It was weird to think of, but I guess I was like Bella in seeing it as reasonable. He is a vampire, what would you expect? I thought it was interesting that he only wanted to kill "bad" humans. It kind of shows how much he doesn't want to be bad himself..even though he had killed humans, he didn't kill the innocent.

I never even thought about it..but I already know what happens..

4. Throughout the chapter, Edward is much MUCH more himself. He is very open with Bella and seems very comfortable around her. I understand that this is the day after their time in the meadow, but what do you think specifically changed between them that allows Edward to be so free all of a sudden?
He knows how she really feels about him. He knows she isn't afraid and shes willing to do anything for him.
Randomness Regular since #7 E<3B
Team Bill...er, no Eric..no Bill.. :)