A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 18 ~ The Hunt

Post by darkrider »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?
i didn't at first but afterwards i kind of guessed

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?
same, it was more..... adrenaline rushed at that point on.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?
changing bella

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?
i don't even recall individual plans loll
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank?

As a group, I thought that vampires weren't usually close. The Cullens were probably the exception to that. As individuals, they're... freaky, especially if they drink human blood. I definitely connected yellow-ish eyes to an animal diet, and red eyes to a human diet. Black eyes, of course, because they're thirsty.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different?

I felt something different. I felt that the whole book had been working toward the moment when Bella was being hunted.

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is?

I think the other option was to stay and fight.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point?

I think Bella had the best plan, although the way she dealt with Charlie was much to be desired (in my opinion, of course). I couldn't help but to feel bad for him. It was really dirty of Bella to tell that to Charlie.
LipsForeverSealed
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a black leather chair, that spins, *spin* weee! In Ireland

Post by LipsForeverSealed »

well i didnt really know what to think... i was foolishly shocked by their appearance, i didnt see any danger coming for bella which was quite stoopid cause of the prologue! :roll: real vamps... yeah burgundy eyes.. they sickened me when they said bout just having eating outside of seattle, i mean i know i should have been used to the concept of vampires and the fact they drink blood human blood but that was the first time it hit me, like ill feeling....

Yeah i totally got that impression..! I was so shocked when it appeared i didn't expect this at all at all..

Ah i was goona bring twilight in here but then i didnt....*sigh* well anyway.. pg 383 Alice, hmm i didnt see another option really... go tell Mr. James to please skip along off and leave our lovely Bella alone?.... we'l giv you pie...? !

well when bella first spoke her plan i soo didnt follow, i was like what? edwards plan was run..., I hated that Charlie got hurt so bad with Bella sayn what her mom said when she left..., well one thing they could have done differently was perphaps not have gone to Phoenix
LipsForeverSealed
Image Edward Cullen
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

As a group I didn't like them. As individuals I didn't like them. Yup, I put 2 and 2 together.

I got the same impression. I think Bella always knew that there were more dangerous things out there than Edward.

lol... I think Edward is scared for Bella, and the other option is obviously turning Bella.

I think Bella did have the best plan, Edward was panic stricken at the moment. I think Bella shouldn't have mentioned out loud that she was going to Phoenix. And I think she should have had another number for her mom. That way she could have called her to make sure she was safe.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. We get our first glimpse of "real" vampires in this chapter. What was your impression of them as a group and as individuals? Did you connect the fact that their red eyes had to do with the type of blood they drank? I really thought that Laurent wasn't harmful; but, they ARE the real vampires, so I thought that danger could be near. Yes, I did connect that their eyes reflected their feeding source.

2. To me, the book takes on a second sort of plot right here with the emergence of Bella being hunted and put in danger by someone other than Edward. Up until know, the book had a much different feel and rhythm. Do you get the same impression or did you feel something different? YES! It kind of felt like a different book to me. We got all caught up in Bella and Edward's exploration of their feelings for each other and then BAM, danger hits!!!

3. On page 383, Alice says that there is another option than just running away, which angers Edward into saying, "There-is-no-other-option." What's your take on this moment and what do you think that other option is? Oooo, turning Bella!!! Seriously, this is what I thought the SECOND time I read it. I had no idea the first time, because there is a lot of silent communication between Edward and Alice.

4. Do you think that Bella had the best plan? Do you think things would have worked out better had they gone with Edward's plan? Considering how things worked out, do you have suggestions over what they should have done differently at this point? I think that Edward's plan may have caused more problems than solving them...his decision was clouded by his intense love for Bella, not really focusing on the other humans tied to her that would be affected by his plan... Bella disappearing on a first date? Charlie would have been terrified, and too many people would have gotten involved. If they had left, Charlie would have been the target, and James would have used that to his advantage.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I thought, mmm finally we're meeting what vampires are supposed to behave, and how obvious that their red eyes were due to the fact that they drank human blood.

Yea, it's like the plot changes and so does the beat of the book and the urgency of it.

Well, it has to be something that alice thought, so edward read her mind hated the idea and was enraged that alice would even think of such a thing. Maybe alice thought of setting a trap.

I think her plan was the best of all that was laid out, though i do think the plan could have been refined to be a bit better.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

oh i thought that they were described more savage as i would imagine as a group. james made me feel uncomfortable. and so did victoria but not as much. laurent was okay. i was willing to give him a shot at a neutral player in the 'battle'. it was obvious to me that their eye color was related to them being regular vamps.

it does take on a different feel and rhythm. before that point it was all about the bond and relationship between Bella and Edward. it was almost at a slow pace. if you ask me i wouldve liked it fine if that was the only conflict there was: whether or how to be together. but i knew that there had to be more. then the pace quickens. it just gets better! haha

i think Alice was refering to her other vision. the one where she saw Bella just like Edward. the other option is to turn her. and Edward will just not even consider this. at first i didnt get this. but later on i figured it out.

well. it wasnt a good plan, but im okay with it. i do wonder what would happen if they continued with Edwards original plan.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I thought SM's portrayal of them as a group was frightening. It sent a shiver up my spine. (Exactly like the movie trailer!) I can't remember if I put 2 and 2 together about the eyes when I first read the book. I know I did about Edward's, so probably.

I completely agree with you. First was romance, now we have the action...fueled by Love. AH, can't get enough! :)

At this point, I had no idea. All I knew was that it REALLY pissed him off that she mentioned it. I'm pretty sure we all know what that other option is now ;-) I will say that this part was full of emotion!

I think they did it the right way. I can't imagine the book being any different. Ya know? I'm glad they gave Bella some credit though!
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

Laurent didn't really bother me, he seemed a lot more civilized then the others. Victoria seemed very alert like she excpected there to be trouble, and James I just didn't like. Screwed up Edward's and Bella's happiness :(
The eyes-blood thing I did put together.

I did get the same feeling. Actually it really was the same feeling inside me. just one was more anxious then the other. I was anxious throughout the whole book, and it just made me MORE anxious. If that make sense?!?!

I probably didn't think anything of it at the time, but if I actually thought about it then I probably would have came to the conclusion that it was about changing Bella.

I do think Bella's plan was the best. I wouldn't want to change anything.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I did connect their red eyes with drinking human blood because Jake had mentioned in the legends that the Quileutes could tell the Cullens were different because of their eye color. Also Edward had already explained that these vampires were not going to share the same feeding preference as the Cullens. So the eye color made sense.

It's hard for me to describe what I thought of them. I thought Laurent seemed pretty cool and level headed. Victoria was shifty and nervous, very different from the image I had of her later in Eclipse. James was just all out aggression. I didn't know exactly what a tracker was at that point but I knew it was like an obsession for him, which did not bode well for Bella.

I agree. I think that's why I wasn't expecting the visiting vampires to have such a big impact on the story when we first learned about them, because to me the conflict already existed in Edward's struggle to be with Bella and not harm her. I liked this part of the book though. The external conflict upped the suspense tremendously.

I honestly thought that Alice was referring to changing Bella into a vampire. It was the only other option I could think of and I was pretty sure Edward wasn't sold on that idea yet since he was always referring to himself as a monster.

I think that of the two plans presented, Bella had the best plan. Her plan put herself at risk more than Edward's plan but it ensured that Charlie would be safe and the Cullens would not have to run from the law. In typical Bella fashion, she was thinking about everybody else instead of herself but I commend that. Regardless of what plan they went with, at some point it was going to come down to a fight with James and the risk of Bella being hurt in the process was always a possibility. In real life, I would have chosen to just lead James a few miles out of town and fight him immediately, but that wouldn't make for a very dramatic read.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/