A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 24 ~ An Impasse

Post by viokagloring »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?

probably harder. he has tasted her now. he will always know how good she was. and he will thirst for her more. but he has such control over himself! when it comes to thirsting for her blood. he may slip sometimes but he always catches himself.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?

he doesnt want to accept it. he wants so very much to be a human with Bella, to live a human live with Bella. he hates what he is and he thinks that Bella will hate him for turning her into that. i think how it turned out is perfect though. spending eternity in love...exactly in love as they are right now.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?

well ive read MS and Eclipse and they both gave me insight to what Edward was thinking. he knew he had to try to leave her. it would be the best option, to him at least. i think it would be the worst option as shown in NM. he says he will stay as long as it is the safest for Bella for him to be there. thats how he justifies him staying with her. that she gets into too much dangerous trouble for him not to be.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

at the very moment i finished Twilight. i was like omg change her right now!!! haha i just wanted it. i knew it wasnt going to happen for a while but i wanted it to happen soon. at that point, i didnt care what Edward said about her humanity. i wanted them to be together forever! but then i had time to think about it and consider what he was saying and he was right. she should definately think about what she would be leaving behind. on the other hand she should do something for herself! even for just this once.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kymberli »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?
I think that the fact that he could stop himself is a true test of his love for her. The fact that he has tasted her blood makes him thrist for it more. You know, you can't just have one cookie kinda thing

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?He knows that Alice's visions are not set in stone that a choice can be made that will change the future. I think that she was going off of Bella wanting to be a vampire. I don't think that Edward had thought about it until Alice said something to him about it/

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?I don't think that Edward has plans to leave her, I think that he is living in the moment and taking it day by day.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?I have ALWAYS wanted Bella to be a vampire! ALWAYS
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I def. think it made it easier for him to resist, because now he knows he can stop.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?
He doesn't want the Vampire Life for Bella. He doesn't want to cheat her of living her life, so he tries to ignore that vision. ALSO, Alice's visions aren't always concrete. If he can convince Bella to NOT want to be a Vampire, he can change the outcome of the vision. I think that's what he is trying to do.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
YES. I think, he had already decided that he will have to leave her one day. I think he's waiting until her emotional state is not so fragile. I also think that he's not able to leave her at this point. He's just waiting...

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I agreed with you. I was torn too. I wanted her to be with Edward, but at the same time I was sad for her to end her human life. I think Bella's transformation happened exactly the way it should have. It was too soon at this point...
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

I don't really think drinking her blood made it any easier or any harder for him to resist. I think that if anything, it was easier for Edward to resist drinking Bella's blood simply because he loves her so much and rejects anything that could possibly hurt her now.

I think he was hoping that he could change her mind about becoming a vampire. Alice's visions are not definite, and if he can change Bella's desire to be a vampire, then he can change the future. And, if she is persistent in becoming a vampire, I don't think he wanted to be the one to change her and take away her life and soul, as he thinks would happen. He wants to give things to her, not take things away. I don't think he realizes that this is the one thing that Bella wants, forever with Edward.

I never thought that he already had plans to leave her at this point. It's possible though, and it makes me really sad to think that he was already making plans to leave her. He did wait a while before leaving her though; it was at least a few months. I just don't want to think that he was making plans to leave her. I'm going to say that Jasper's near-attack on Bella sparked his decision to leave her. Yep, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensible to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

I thought she should be changed right away and that she should leave her family life behind. I think that she had trouble fitting in her entire life, and that was because she was more suited to being a vampire. I think that changing Bella into a vampire would just make her what she was always destined to be. I don't know why Edward couldn't just see that it would make both of them incredibly happy. He would get to be with his love for forever!
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

I think Edward has more self control than he gives himself credit for and sometimes he doesn't understand where it comes from. I suppose it comes from his humanity, that he loves Bella so much there is a part of his that really couldn't hurt her. I don't think his drinking her blood changes his thirst for her either way.

I think just because he feels so strong about Bella not becoming a vampire, he's in denial maybe.

I DO think that he's saying this to pacify her a bit. I see him as more conflicted in this chapter than even in the beginning. The James thing has affected him alot and made him think even more about the danger Bella is in. The first time I read the book I don't think I gathered that he would be leaving her any time soon, or I was in deep denial, lol. But in reading it the second time I can totally see it, and it makes the end of Twilight a lot more sad than it originall was for me! In reading this chapter the second time, I definately got the idea that he was going to leave her.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her? I was torn also. I didn't think she should be turned right away because even though their relationship was so deep, it was so new also. Bella is also pretty much the only one who would leave loving family behind to become a vampire as a CHOICE. Rosalie and Emmett might have left family behind(I can't remember) but they didn't have a choice because it was life or death. I knew that would be an excrutiating choice to make and I, like I'm sure Edward too, wouldn't want Bella to have any regrets what so ever. I don't think at this point Bella could make the choice without regrets.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
Twilove

Post by Twilove »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?Well Bella is Edward singer her blood calls out to him more than any other human so its always gonna be hard for him to resist her blood but everyday hes with her he gains more control over himself and of course she didnt smell too good after he transfusion her blood was tainted with someone elses

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?Because he cant bear to take her soul away im sure all of them would give anything to be human again

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?I dont think so ut after her birthday party accident thats when he realized exactly how dangerous it is to be with her but than im sure he never imagined leaving her

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?I was routing for Bella to be changed i wanted it from the start and everytime Edward would fight with her i would just be like Edward come on shes gonna die someday and that what your gonna go to Aro and beg to be torn apart ya right
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I think it makes it easier for him to resist now.

Because he doesnt want Bella to have to live that kind of life.

I think he was thinking at one point to leave her. He doesnt like seeing her this way. Hurt because of his kind. But no one can really know for sure.

I didnt think that Bella should be changed right away. There is still so much she needs to live through. With school and everything. And it would be very hard of her family. I thought at one point she should be able to be turned into one. Edward is right for not changing her into one.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I think his love for Bella is stronger than his thirst for her and that's why he was able to stop. I also think the reason he didn't like how she smelled after the transfusion is because it wasn't her smell. Her smell is a part of her and he fell in love with the whole package so even if a different smell would make it easier to resist, he doesn't want that. He wants her just the way she is. I think tasting her blood would make the thirst stronger but the fear of almost losing her would make his control stronger, so they even each other out.

He has defied one of Alice's visions before by not killing Bella so he believes he has control over how things will turn out. Alice's visions are subject to change so it's not a given at this point that she will become a vampire, just the most likely outcome.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? Do you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
I don't think he planned to leave her but I think at this point he was keeping the thought present in his mind. He wanted an option if things became too dangerous for her because her safety is his highest priority.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensible to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I felt 100% that she should become a vampire based on the context of the story. She didn't have a lot of ties or roots, the only thing she would really be giving up was her parents. I thought they should compromise. I didn't think she should be turned right then and there. I thought they should maybe wait until after high school or something which would allow her to spend time with her family and plan out their story so her parents could have some closure as well.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

It says she tastes really good but stunk like crazy when she wasn't smelling like herself, and he really wanted her. After drinking her blood, Edward must have had to excercise a lot of self control not to go after her again, but I think that by her not smelling like Bella he was able to move.

He wants her human as long as he can have her human; he wasn't sure when it was going to happen, but he didn't want to be a "monster" and take her life away from her.

I think it was there a wee bit. He wanted her to be happy, to get better. I think that this is when he started to think about leaving her because of all the damage he seemed to cause her when she was near him not think that she felt as deep as she felt.

I wanted Bella to be a vampire, but I didn't want her turned yet. I enjoyed reading about how she happy she was when Edward's cold skin touched hers. I thought Edward was being sensible about not turning her. He had just met Bella and she was ready to give it all up for him without thinking about any one but her and Edward. I think had Bella been turned then, the story would really have had nowhere to go, and there would have been no way to learn more about all of Edwards of brothers and sisters, and how awesome his parents are or anything about how Edward & Bella react to being around each other. They still needed time to grow closer together before I was ready to see them as Vampire husband and wife.
MyHusbandIsMyEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by MyHusbandIsMyEdward »

Well, Bella asks if she tastes as good as she smells and he says "Even better--better than I'd imagined." pg. 460 So that makes me think that it was worse. But then later it doesn't seem to be an issue, even after he's gone for a while and comes back so maybe easier...ok, I have NO IDEA...haha.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?Well, Alice's visions DO change a lot, depending on people's decisions. I think that vision is cool, but I don't understand it since nobody's decided to change Bella yet.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her? I always thought the exact moment he decided to leave her was when Jasper tried to kill her at her birthday party, although in Midnight Sun it seems to be something he thinks about as his only option if he wants to "save" Bella.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her? I guess I was torn, too, but agreed more with Edward that she shouldn't be changed. She hadn't known him that long, after all, hehe.
"'I can't explain it right...but he's even more unbelievable behind the face.' The vampire who wanted to be good -- who ran around saving people's lives so he wouldn't be a monster..." -Twilight