A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Invitations

Post by spookybell »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
I want to know what anyone really ever wants to go to school dances. I hated so many of them. I am guessing that Bella could think of 101 better things to do. I don't think it is a matter of who asks.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
His quirky vampire self which we call know and love.
emilycullenx
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by emilycullenx »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her? Well, for starters, Bella "doesn't dance." Haha. And on a different note, Edward Cullen is about the only boy who ever really has her full attention. She'd much rather skip the dance to hang with him for a day/night. Actually, she'd much rather skip the dance and do absolutely nothing; that's one aspect where Bella and I are on the same page. xD

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior? I think I may have lingered with Bella's assumption on this one; or possibly the thirstier he is, the crankier he is, which Bella also finds out soon enough.
"every single memory is erasing;
going back to the times when we were strangers.
"
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
I think that none of the boys from Forks appear to Bella because she is so much more mature than they are. Mike, Eric, and Tyler are still in a very petty phase, which most young men are at that period of their lives. Bella is uninterested in the superficial aspects of high school... i.e. Dances, dresses, etc. I also believe that her attraction towards Edward has caused her to turn a blind eye towards all the other boys, and she isn't one to settle for less than everything she wants.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
At this point in the book it was obvious that Edward reciprocated Bella's attraction. He feels that for whatever reason it is unhealthy for their relationship, so to speak, to progress to any other level, so he avoids her all together. At this point, I felt that Edward's more friendly moments were his moments of weakness, when he couldn't deny the attraction.
Megsimadic
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Megsimadic »

Im not sure that they werent appealing to her. I mean, the dance she refused, and I thought it was too social an event at first but then we already know she is clumsy so I thought that was the reason she was making excuses. Plus, she wasnt used to all the attention so she wasnt sure of her responses. She was more questioning than flattered by it all. And her thoughts were already glued to Edwards behaviour to have other male presence

I thought that he wanted to be nice but whatever he was hiding was stopping him. I also thought that maybe his siblings had something to do with it at some point
My Youtube - My Livejournal
Private Meg Shinigami of Jasper's Confederate Army

Team Jasper:He is my happy hormone
Team Alice: Because Im short and annoying too!
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

I don't think that Bella was used to the attention that she was getting. Like she said before that everyone in Forks lives on top of each other and so each situation has to be handled diplomatically. Plus, she knew that Jess liked Mike so if she could get people "hooked up" (in a sense), then she wouldn't be the center of attention anymore and the guys would (hopefully) leave her alone. I don't think any of the boys appealed to her because she was waiting for Edward, she just didn't know it yet!

By that time, I got the sense that it was hard to him to be near her. But like he says, he couldn't stay away from her any longer...he was drawn to her (granted in a different way than she to him!)
Krystal
Lured By the Scent

Post by Krystal »

I am pretty sure it's just because she was knew and Bella already knew everyone was watching her and she didn't want to be the centre of attention, and also because she can't dance.

I really didn't know, but I knew something wasn't right.
by myhopesaresohigh @ vesperarium
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

She had already fallen for Edward (maybe without being fully aware of it), so none of the other boys appealed to her anymore. In addition to that, she didn't like the thought of going to the dance, where the whole school would be and she could quite easily find herself the center of attention - a situation she keeps trying to avoid at all costs.

I thought he was torn between wanting Bella close to himself and wanting her as far away as possible.
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

I totally related to that part of Bella's thought process because she is an old soul and has a hard time dealing with the trivial things that most teenagers find so fascinating. I never dated anyone my own age - they drove me to distraction and I think that Bella's clumsiness only compounded her desire to stay far away from school dances.

Teenage boy behaviour. That he didn't know what he wanted and was angry that he might want her.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her? This is one of my favorite chapters of the book; I love to read both B&E's reactions!! Bella is smitten with Edward; of course, she wouldn't go with anyone but him, if she'd been inclined to ask. However, she doesn't like the spotlight, and she wouldn't want to be rude and just tell the guys "no." I don't think that she wanted anyone to know that she liked Edward. The Cullens keep to themselves, and it would certainly draw attention to herself if she were with them.... I'm glad she got over that! lol!

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior? I really had no idea at first. After my 2nd or 3rd time reading it, I think he didn't really know if he could trust Bella to keep the truth of the accident to herself. The way he said, "trust me" and "please" meant that he wanted to stay with her, but he needed her trust first.
t_feva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by t_feva »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her? i think she didnt want to go because she didnt want to dance.
2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior? that he liked her but didnt want to get too close to her because he's dangerous.
teamtaycob.webs.com
twitter.com/tfeva1