Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by spicey16 »

this just occured to me and i find it very confusing... At the end of Eclipse, the last time we know bella talked to Jacob he was cool with her choosing Edward, he discused her getting married, he discused her changing, he said he was just going to be her friend bc she finally saw "life with Jacob" and still chose Edward... where I'm going with all this is, why then, the next time we hear of jacob, he gets a wedding invitation and goes off the deep end?? I just dont get it. did something happen inbwtn then that i missed? I get it he's upset that she is going to change/die but at the end of Eclipse he seemed relatively okay with it... why the 180?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I know, it seems very odd to me. At first I thought it was just because of the things Leah said - about her dying and stuff. I also figured he was probably putting up a brave front because he knew it was the right thing to do. He's still allowed to feel however he wants to about it you know?

But then in BD, we see him do the same thing, putting up the brave front. He does it well, until again, Bella's safety is in question. My guess is that he accepted Bella choosing Edward just fine, but not her becoming a vampire. I can see how that would be a little harder to take. It's one thing to know the girl you love loves someone else more than you - because if you truly love them, you can at least console yourself with the fact that they are happy and that's what you want, even while you are miserable for yourself. But for them to choose to do something like Bella is - giving up her life, turning into something that is supposed to be his mortal enemy, and endangering her very existence by having sex with Edward "unprotected" (heh heh), that's bound to be a harder pill to swallow.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Bella lets it slip that she intends to sleep with Edward. To Jake, it was one thing to risk death by becoming a vampire. He had even had time to adjust to the concept. And Bella knew what she was getting into when she made her decision to become a vampire, and clearly, the only reason that she would want to be a vampire was because she loved Edward. Jake could see that, and even though he didn't like it, he wanted Bella to be happy, and he could see that she thought she would be happy with Edward. So after a little adjustment period, the thought of her becoming a vamp didn't make him quite as furious as it used to.

The reason that he went off the deep end at the wedding was because Bella intended to sleep with Edward. First of all, Jake could only imagine the damage that Edward could inflict on Bella in such a situation. Second, he most likely didn't think she was thinking clearly - he even told her "don't be stupid". And third, he didn't have time to adjust to the idea. This came out of nowhere - a total shock for him. Plus, you have to consider how much of this is envy. He wouldn't really need to envy the idea of Bella becoming a vamp, but he certainly hated the idea of Edward sleeping with the same girl he had been fantasizing about for a while.

I gotta say, it was one of Bella's less brilliant moments when she opened her big mouth and let that one slip :oops: :shock: ;)
"Plus que ma propre vie."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Oh, Bella was a total brat right then. She was clearly in control of the situation. I don't see how anyone can feel sorry for Bella in some of these situations. She made her bed, she laid in it. That's how life works.

You're exactly right. It was the shock that did him in. I think it was also that Edward had agreed to it, I think he almost felt a little betrayed by Edward that he would do something that dangerous.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

Well, I don't know, HOFJ. I agree that with Jake, Bella did make her own bed, and she did need to deal with the consequences of that. However, I think it is still okay to feel sorry for her. I mean, to some extent, human nature overtakes common sense and prevents us all from doing the sensible thing at one time or another. It is all right to pity someone for having made a mistake, and having to pay a harsh price.
The only difference is that if the same person makes the same mistake twice without learning from it, then you can call them an idiot for not avoiding the situation the second time around. It kind of goes along with the saying "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." The first time around is excusable, and as I said, even pitiable. The second time around. . .not so much. I think that is why Jake ended up irritating me as much as he did. Bella let him know enough times that she was in love with Edward, not him, and he still kept coming back for more. He didn't learn, and that was his own fault he got hurt the third and fourth times around.
"Plus que ma propre vie."
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I expect to get dumped on for saying this, but I totally get why Bella "opened her big mouth" and told Jacob she was having a real honeymoon. After all, she had been thinking about the possibility of intimate relations since the first night Edward stayed--since the night following their day in the meadow. She was not secretive about her physical desires and had lobbied for more intimate relations with Edward for quite a while. To her, this marriage--and honeymoon--symbolized what she had wanted with Edward practically from the very beginning of their relationship. When Jacob brushed off what was so important to her, it made her a little mad, and yes, verbally injudicious.

Jacob, on the other hand tended to shoot himself in the foot a lot. He brought up the subject of physical intimacy--which I consider out of bounds to begin with--then went ballistic when he realized how determined Bella was to risk her life and well-being by pretending Edward was a normal man. Jacob should have shut down his curiosity (admittably, not a casual curiosity) and not thought a minute beyond the present moment. He might have wanted to know when Bella was sacrificing herself to her idol god, but he had no business asking.

I don't play the blame game on either one of these kids. What happened, happened. It's unfortunate, but not really surprising, given the emotions involved and the circumstances surrounding them.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I don't blame Bella... I'd probably snap back at him if I had been in Bella's shoes.
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

No, I get the wedding thing... I am talking about before the wedding. He was missing (remember all the posters). He ran away when he got the wedding invitation however they (him and Bella) had just talked about it. He even joked about being her best man and she told him when the wedding was probably going to be. He even said I might still want you after you are a vamp. Now YES he was trying to spare her feelings BUT i still dont get the 180? I mean it had to have been like a month at the most between the Jake and Bella convo and him recieveing the invite... i just dont get it.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I think HOFJ nailed it when she said it was just the shock of the true reality of the situation that sent him over the edge. He could hold himself together pretty well as long as he didn't think about exactly what was going down, but when the very unpalatable truth was forced on him, he lost it, every single time.

He basically lied to Bella to comfort her when she chose Edward over him in Eclipse, and he was dealing with it pretty well until Leah suggested Edward would kill her instead of transform her. Then he lost it and went wolf to escape his pain.

He pretended to be happy for Bella during the wedding reception to help make her wedding day special, but he lost it when he realized she was opening herself up to even more bodily harm. He was desperate to kill Edward and save her from herself.

He was relieved when Bella came back from her honeymoon alive, but appalled that she was--just like Bella--clinging to what would eventually kill her. He was so mad that Edward's existence would always threaten Bella's well-being that he was totally focused on destroying him.

I think Jacob is very consistent through all these events.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

HOFJ seemed to hit it in the head with Jake singing a different tune. It's sorta like when you find out some life altering news for the first time,like becoming a parent or loosing a loved one; you react one way when you find out, but after it sinks in something goes off and you realize what has happened and react differently.
opulent wrote: The reason that he went off the deep end at the wedding was because Bella intended to sleep with Edward. First of all, Jake could only imagine the damage that Edward could inflict on Bella in such a situation. Second, he most likely didn't think she was thinking clearly - he even told her "don't be stupid". And third, he didn't have time to adjust to the idea. This came out of nowhere - a total shock for him. Plus, you have to consider how much of this is envy. He wouldn't really need to envy the idea of Bella becoming a vamp, but he certainly hated the idea of Edward sleeping with the same girl he had been fantasizing about for a while.

I gotta say, it was one of Bella's less brilliant moments when she opened her big mouth and let that one slip :oops: :shock: ;)
Her opening her mouth might have been one of her less then brilliant idea's but what did he expect her to do on her honeymoon - sit around and play checkers? He didn't know the circumstances surrounding their honeymoon and just went off assuming that they hadn't talked about doing the deed, and that he would hurt her.

Like opulent said, part of his reaction to finding out that Bella wants to sleep with Edward has to do with envy. He wanted to be the one to have it with all with Bella but she chose Edward, and that was enough of a slap on the face, but to find out that the girl you want is going to have sex with another man - that has to sting.

If I were in Jake's shoe's and found out a guy BFF I like liked was marrying another woman, I wouldn't be too happy about it. But to add salt to the wounds by talking about what they were going to do on their honeymoon would be pushing it a little to far for my liking.