Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
EandB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Edward and Bella 2

Post by EandB »

Is it really healthy to have a man be your whole life.With Jacob she would have had friends and a life outside of their relationship.I love EandB but Bella does concentrate on him too much at times.
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

EandB wrote:Is it really healthy to have a man be your whole life.With Jacob she would have had friends and a life outside of their relationship.I love EandB but Bella does concentrate on him too much at times.
Well Edward never didn't let Bella have friends so I not sure of why you are saying that. To Bella. Edward was her life, and Edward started sitting with Angela and Ben at lunch if you remember, he made the effort to fit into Bella's world and her friends. Everybody that accuses Edward as being to controlling, you can't be controlling over someone who makes you her center of universe and that is on Bella and not Edward. Bella also had the Cullens and her mom, since Bella was shy and kept to herself in what way did Edward encourage her to make him her focal point. When Edward came back I do not see Edward in my eyes so much a focal point as in Twilight and that is usually how a relationship develops. At the beginning while they get to know each other, friends do take a back seat and when their relationship is growing and more than a friendship then you don't need all of your energy into that person. Do you see what I am trying to say. By the time Edward and Bella married their relationship had grown into a solid one, but it took time to get there as in any relationship.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Sannois
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Sannois »

I would love to have someone who is my life like Edward and Bella are to each other. I think A love like SM wrote about is truly a rare gift. True soul mates. I can only imagine.. ~Sigh~
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

To honor The Day of the Rings (the Cullenist celebration of the day Edward & Bella got engaged), I ask this question:

What were your thoughts when reading the each of the proposals? Were you surprised, perterbed, anxious, ecstatic? Discuss.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Angelvamp wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Vanity, my favorite sin... Who can name the 7 deadly sin's?

So they are in love. Why do they keep hurting each other then? Why does Bella keep Jacob around inspite of Edwards demands to the contrary. Why do you think Edward keeps trying to control Bella?
Jazz Girl wrote:Dark Knight~ First, I would correct the "demands to the contrary" statement. Yes, initially, Edward does tell Bella she can't be around Jacob, what with the whole unstable baby werewolf, enemy of the family thing. But, he very quickly learns that Bella does as Bella sees fit. While I can't stand the pain that she puts both Edward and Jake through in the end, I am very glad she tells Edward that she wants to and will keep her friendship with Jake. So, saying he demands that she give him up I think is a bit of a mischaracterization. As for why she keeps him around, I agree in part with Dovrebanen and Jadey. Jacob was not only her friend, but her best friend. She learned to depend on him and care deeply for his happiness. She never agreed that he shouldn't be able to be in her life, so she wanted him to be.

But also, I think, it went a little deeper than that. I think, just as there was a connection between Edward & Bella, there was also one between she and Jake. Jake was the natural path of her life. It would have felt wrong to turn her back on him, even for a love as strong as that between she & Edward. So, she couldn't imagine not having him around because he was supposed to be there.

As for Edward's controlling behavior, it is as has been stated. Edward was not trying to control Bella for the sake of controlling her, for the sake of being in charge. Bella had no concept of the danger most things posed to her. As the one person who both understood and cared about her safety above all else, including her happiness,Edward did the only things he could in those situations. And, as is pretty clear, he also learned that it wasn't going to matter because Bella was going to do what Bella wanted and have what Bella wanted in most cases. It was a futile effort.
Bella realized in NM that love gave someone power over you, which I agree with 100%. One example I heard somewhere (Dark Knight, you would probably know if this is true?) is that a lot of Special Ops guys don't have wives and children because then they would have liabilities. Edward and Bella keep hurting each other because they love each other. Weird, but that's what happens. "You always hurt the one you love..." and all that. And being a first love for both, and such an intense one, they're bound to make mistakes that hurt the other.
As for Jacob, I can't agree with Bella's decision to "keep him around", as it were. Jazz Girl makes a good point about him being the "natural path in her life". Didn't Bella say something about that in EC? But I really have a hard time believing that she maintained her relationship with Jacob for anyone's benefit but her own.
I also can't agree with the statement that Bella had no concept of the danger she was in. For someone that has trouble just walking across a flat surface, I think she was well aware of her possible doom. But she refused to let herself think about it, deluded herself into believing that everything was gonna be all right. I am of the opinion that Edward does try to control her (he can be such a pompous idiot!) but thank goodness Bella has such a stubborn streak that most of it is a wasted effort. To me, it's mostly about respect. I think by the end though, Edward came out from under his cloud and started to be more positive about life in general. I would like to think that is a direct result of Bella's stubborness and refusal to play by the rules. And if you're playing for love, you're playing for keeps. :)
Hummm, I was not in Special Forces per say, Recon, but around a lot of them. It's a very interesting point you make here on this. Many of the Spec Ops guys (American) can't hold down relationships; Verses the Auzzie and Brits Spec Ops guys don't have the same trouble. I have my theories on this. One of the biggest reason is the Job comes first and the relationship is second. Most ladies can't handle that fact. The other, is having to deal with the messed up state we return in. Very hard to handle for most relationships let alone a young lonely lady that often does not have her support group around her. I am/was very lucky to have my HS sweetheart who was more than a little understanding (We married a few years after I got back). I credit most of what I have become to her sheer patients and love.

Now for Bella, she could not handle the fact that Vamps & Shape shifters are mortal enemies. So rather than accept nature she decided to make her own rules. Jacob talked about Predator and prey in Eclipse (The eagle and fish scene). She was able to make it work to some degree but is will never be natural for either party.

I don’t see Jacob as being her natural next step. She is much more likely to move off to college and find someone more intoned to her needs. But that’s just my opinion. :D

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Jazz Girl wrote:
What were your thoughts when reading the each of the proposals? Were you surprised, perterbed, anxious, ecstatic? Discuss.
I was screaming inside. I was so happy. I was really truly happy for them. Just when I thought Edward couldn't get anymore cuter. The first time, I was like.. You sneaky, sly Edward you! Then I spiralled down into a depression straight after because Bella laughed, and didn't immediately accept it. I kept thinking that if she really loved him like she said she did, then she shouldn't care what others would think.
And then the second proposal (man bellas lucky to get proposed to twice) I thought was so formal and beautiful.. with the ring and everything. Tears came to my eyes. Then stupid little immature Bella had to be grumpy and ruin it all. Also she did state that she wanted to say gooey things at the time.. Pfft. I would've.

Man. If I had Edward I would've married him after a few months. Who cares what my friends/family think.
Bella just ruined the proposals for me.
From the end of New Moon to the start of Breaking Dawn, Bella annoyed the ****** hell out of me.

And to top it all off, after all that worring about what people would think, no one really cared that much anyway. Except Charlie thinking that Renee would have a fit, so he didn't say anything.

She blames her parents for being iffy about marriage. Pfft. Shes old enough to know that marriage if different for everyone and just because it didn't work out for her parents, doesn't mean it won't work out for them. Why wouldn't it work out. They'll both love each other forever, and Edward can't love someone else, so I don't see the problem.

Theres cute little Edward all cute and cutely proposing with cuteness and all cute. And Bellas all like, annoyed and bitter about it.

SORRY FOR MY RAMBLE. Bella needs a slapping.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

Jazz Girl wrote:
Jadey wrote:Man. If I had Edward I would've married him after a few months. Who cares what my friends/family think.
Bella just ruined the proposals for me.
From the end of New Moon to the start of Breaking Dawn, Bella annoyed the ****** hell out of me.
OMG!!! Yay! Too true, too true. Couldn't have said it better. :) The most beautiful, kind, generous man of your dreams proposing? GAH, how horrible! ;)
Jadey wrote:And to top it all off, after all that worring about what people would think, no one really cared that much anyway. Except Charlie thinking that Renee would have a fit, so he didn't say anything.

She blames her parents for being iffy about marriage. Pfft. Shes old enough to know that marriage if different for everyone and just because it didn't work out for her parents, doesn't mean it won't work out for them. Why wouldn't it work out. They'll both love each other forever, and Edward can't love someone else, so I don't see the problem.

Theres cute little Edward all cute and cutely proposing with cuteness and all cute. And Bellas all like, annoyed and bitter about it.

SORRY FOR MY RAMBLE. Bella needs a slapping.
I felt like a giddy little girl in a princess hat after reading the words "Marry me". And Bella goes and ruins the whole thing! :x Supposedly, because she's so concerned about what everyone else would think. This, to me, doesn't ring true to Bella's character. I mean, when did she ever do or not do something because she was concerned about other's opinions? I think she did get brainwashed regarding marriage by her Mom at a young age and the divorce probably had a huge impact on the fact she didn't have a boyfriend until Edward (not having divorce in my family, I wouldn't know. Anyone?) Also, she always thought Edward was too good for her. I don't think she really believed that he really and truly loved her until the end of EC.

I wholeheartedly agree with Jadey that Bella needed a slapping. Especially after all that cuteness from Cutesville! GAH, I'm getting a cavity and I LOVE IT!!!
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

The Dark Knight wrote:Hummm, I was not in Special Forces per say, Recon, but around a lot of them. It's a very interesting point you make here on this. Many of the Spec Ops guys (American) can't hold down relationships; Verses the Auzzie and Brits Spec Ops guys don't have the same trouble. I have my theories on this. One of the biggest reason is the Job comes first and the relationship is second. Most ladies can't handle that fact. The other, is having to deal with the messed up state we return in. Very hard to handle for most relationships let alone a young lonely lady that often does not have her support group around her. I am/was very lucky to have my HS sweetheart who was more than a little understanding (We married a few years after I got back). I credit most of what I have become to her sheer patients and love.
Thanks for answering my post about that, Dark Knight! I was really curious and I don't know any people in the military. I know it's off topic, but I am curious about why it is different for Aussie and Brits. Can you PM me or something about your theories? I know I would probably not be able to handle something like that, or even that my s/o would never come home. Must be really hard. Glad you found someone that could, good for you!
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Jazz Girl wrote:To honor The Day of the Rings (the Cullenist celebration of the day Edward & Bella got engaged), I ask this question:

I wasn't surprised at all that Edward proposed. Since he is from the 1900s it would only make sense that he would feel the need to be married before granting some of the things Bella wanted to do. Also, in his day and time it was only normal to get married young. It did annoy me though that Bella blew him off. Here he was professing his love for her and saying he wanted to be with her not only for eternity but legally to and she laughs. I understand that her parents marriage didn't work out and that she based her decision on that but I also agree with Angelvamp that never before did she worry about what others thought so why start now.
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

vampirenerd wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:To honor The Day of the Rings (the Cullenist celebration of the day Edward & Bella got engaged), I ask this question:

I wasn't surprised at all that Edward proposed. Since he is from the 1900s it would only make sense that he would feel the need to be married before granting some of the things Bella wanted to do. Also, in his day and time it was only normal to get married young. It did annoy me though that Bella blew him off. Here he was professing his love for her and saying he wanted to be with her not only for eternity but legally to and she laughs. I understand that her parents marriage didn't work out and that she based her decision on that but I also agree with Angelvamp that never before did she worry about what others thought so why start now.
I agree with you . I really thought Bella would have jump for it when Edward asked her and he was so excited it broke my heart to him it meant so much more than to Bella.
In Breaking Dawn after the second time Edward and Bella were talking and he says
" for this? " .... Sex was the
all along?" He rolled his eyes. "Why didn't I think of that?" .... I could have saved myself a lot of arguments. [/quote
]
But again in Breaking Dawn, Edward knew if Bella changed and if she could have had a wedding she might have regretted it and Bella was glad that Edward wanted one and pushed her to it. Many people say that Edward is controling but most of the time he is right and Bella does see why and knows that it isn't that Edward is controling its because Edward loves her so much. :)
Last edited by diane771 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001