Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by pharmer4 »

no pproblems.

All phenomena can be explained scientifically, so long as they can follow predictable rules or are reliably repetitive
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

BeccalovesEdward wrote:I didn't even think of it that way, but that makes 100% sense. Thanks a ton for answering my query!

pharmer4 & Rings are the go-to guys for this kind of stuff. pharmer4 is a Doctor of Pharmacology I believe and Rings is, well...just smart.

He still needs his own thread "Ask Rings" :D
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

I'm not a doctor, I'm a pharmacist.

You CAN get a doctorate in pharmacology, but I chose specifically to do pharmacy instead of medicine so I could have a family early without my time being eaten up by work, and doing a doctorate in pharmacology would have defeated the purpose of doing that.

Not to mention research is terribly dull :D

Also, Becca, I have a few thoughts about using the punnet squares to determine the heritability of vampirism, etc.

in the case of almost all of the factors of the different characters, they'd all be multifactorial - this means that nor only would there NOT be a single gene that determines their effect, but it would rely on more than genes (especially in the case of the shapeshifters, whose "mutation" remains dormant until an external stimuli in the form of vampires triggers their activation).

Obviously, the basic concept is sound, but like all things in the science of reality, the science of Twilight would have so many other factors influencing it that you'd have too many inconsistencies to explain without the tools to do so (renesme being an excellent example).

It is an excellent basis to start from though.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

pharmer4 wrote:I'm not a doctor, I'm a pharmacist.

You CAN get a doctorate in pharmacology, but I chose specifically to do pharmacy instead of medicine so I could have a family early without my time being eaten up by work, and doing a doctorate in pharmacology would have defeated the purpose of doing that.

Not to mention research is terribly dull :D

Also, Becca, I have a few thoughts about using the punnet squares to determine the heritability of vampirism, etc.

in the case of almost all of the factors of the different characters, they'd all be multifactorial - this means that nor only would there NOT be a single gene that determines their effect, but it would rely on more than genes (especially in the case of the shapeshifters, whose "mutation" remains dormant until an external stimuli in the form of vampires triggers their activation).

Obviously, the basic concept is sound, but like all things in the science of reality, the science of Twilight would have so many other factors influencing it that you'd have too many inconsistencies to explain without the tools to do so (renesme being an excellent example).

It is an excellent basis to start from though.
My apologies, pharmer4. I just assumed that a pharmacist was always a doctor. Learned something new. :)
Well, just think, I was willing to give you and honorary Doctorate in Pharmacology. :lol:
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

pharmer4 wrote:All phenomena can be explained scientifically, so long as they can follow predictable rules or are reliably repetitive
doesnt anyone believe in good ol miracles anymore ;) :D
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

spicey16 wrote:
pharmer4 wrote:All phenomena can be explained scientifically, so long as they can follow predictable rules or are reliably repetitive

miracles are only miracles until you an explain them, or they happen more than once, creating a pattern. Everything can be explained scientifically if you have enough data.

spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

pharmer4 wrote:
spicey16 wrote:

miracles are only miracles until you an explain them, or they happen more than once, creating a pattern. Everything can be explained scientifically if you have enough data.
so what if you never have proof either way? do they stay a miracle?
anyway.. i want to know why the "older" vamps like Aro, Stephan and Vladimir ( i know i cant spell) why is their skin so delicate and powdery looking??
Alice_in_Cullenland
Wandering Through Town

Post by Alice_in_Cullenland »

This is going to sound like a weird answer, but I immediately thought of comparing their skin to onions. (Yes, I'm sure this was somehow inspired by Shrek.) Their skin has layers that starts peeling after years and years of tear.

...okay, so that explanation was about as scientific as a toddler using a chemistry set, so I'll try for something a little better. Their skin, like anything that gets old, will show it. Clothes get ratty when they get old, so the paper-thin affect (effect?) described by Bella is what happens to old vampire skin. Yes, their skin itself isn't dying since their skin cells wouldn't be getting old, but it is getting exposed to air, UV rays, and all the other stuff that skin gets exposed to. Consider a corpse; it's frozen just like a vampire is, but if left alone it'll eventually rot away. A twi-vampire obviously has preservation methods of sorts given the fact that Edward doesn't look like a one-hundred year old corpse.
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

this is a good question, one that I've been wondering for a while.

It could be due to inactivity (relative), that leads to them having some physiological change, such as less venom circulating near the surface of their skin, or it could be caused by the venom being in contact with their surfaces for extended periods of time, or it could be the effect of their relative speed causing some change in the surfaces that experience friction (although not as much friction as you'd expect, as I've explained previously).

Cullen_Lover
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

edward's#1fangrrl wrote:umm. wow. i didn't know thge liger/female mule thing. so now we could be theoretically looking at a huma/vamp/werewolf baby?? i wanna see that!!! that raises some interesting questions, like could it become a werewolf, or not? would it be immortal? there are more, i'm sure, but i really can't think right now. :D
I say it would be a blood-sucking were-wolf with a beating heart, breathes(not by choice), and ages without stop being what it is.BUT stops aging when it reaches a certain age.

:lol: Make sense? Kinda like Renesmee except teh wereworlf bit. :lol:
ImageImageImage