What did you think of the Twilight Series?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
got2bkidding
Settled in Forks

Re: What did you think of the Twilight Series?

Post by got2bkidding »

I just finished...30 seconds ago. I finished Breaking Dawn....

I only just discovered the Twilight Universe a little over a month ago (saw the movie when it came out on DVD). I didn't know anything about Twilight Saga--I am grateful for the movie because I may have never found the books if it weren't for the movie, but.....it left me wanting more.

As soon as I learned it was a book series I promptly ran out and bought EVERYTHING I could my hands on, OMG the books are SO much better!...Since that fateful day I have read Twilight 3 times, New Moon 2 times, Eclipse 2 times and finally this weekend I broke down and picked up BD--FOR THE FIRST TIME. It has been sitting here for a month, I was savoring it every time I walked by, knowing more story was coming. I just finished it.... I want to cry. Its over.

I kept putting off reading Breaking Dawn because I didn't want it to end! (What a series!!!) I mean seriously! I am completely captivated! I loved them! I have to believe it isn't over. It can't be. There are so many story possibilities.

I am happy too though....because they were SO good. So unbelievably good. My daughter is now reading them (nearly 12) I wanted to read them first (cause of the whole vampire thing, lol, wanted to be sure they were ok, which HELLO, more than ok!!!) and now I can share them with her, which is good, cause it won't feel over....but it is...

So now what? I am an avid reader. (How I missed these books when they first came out is beyond me). I blow threw 700 page books like they are pop ups, :lol: I can't seem to move forward though. I am stuck. I have a HUGE problem now....I DON'T WANT TO READ ANYTHING ELSE!!!

Stephenie Meyer, if you read here. Thank you. I am going through some crazy crap in my real life and it has been SO much fun to step into the world you created for a while...a world where you aren't defined by the hand you have been dealt! A place where we are reminded that we can beat the monsters that rage (or in most cases, whisper) inside us all by denying ourselves and our tendency to be selfish and instead exercise shear determination to do the right thing. Twilight Saga is a world where love conquers all and life is precious, worth cherishing and even vampires and werevolves (shape shifters ;-) )can get a long if they just try.

Also, thanks for introducing me to Muse (and Paramour), their music has totally motivated me to keep exercising each day! I have walked so many miles listening to the Twilight Soundtrack that if I was walking in a straight line from my Southern California home I would probably be in New York by now, lol. It has all been a GREAT addition to my ipod!
SHANNON>YOU
Settled in Forks

Post by SHANNON>YOU »

What did I think of the twilight series?

Where do I begin?

I picked up the book completely on accident. I was working at a a restaurant in a summer resort at the time. I was 17 and was on break from my never ending shift slicing cold cuts. I was wandering about the resorts shopping center when I came to this little fancy book store. EVERYTHING was completely over priced and being in the store was particularly intimidating. Everyone shopping inside looked like they belonged in a Nautica ad from a magazine and I was walking around in my Deja Vu Deli apron. Needless to say after few moments of browsing I was making a B Line for the door when I saw a book on the "suggested reads" shelf. I was a pretty hefty looking paper back book and the cover was entirely in black and white except for an apple. I was immediately interested. I stood there blocking the door way reading the first chapter. I fell in love with it instantly. I would have stayed there and read all day if some impatient tourists didn't demand me to move out of the way.
I wanted to buy the book so bad but I couldn't afford it right then and I went back to work. Later that evening I brought up the book to my boyfriend, who told me I did not need to buy anymore books haha, I think I actually had at the time maybe 50 or more books in my room, that was about 2 years ago so don't even ask how many there are now. Anyway I eventually forgot all about the book with my senior prom and college coming up. But he didn't, for my birthday he got me a hard cover copy of the book. I couldn't even believe he remembered it, I couldn't even remember the title or the author just that it had a black and white cover... not exactly a lot to go on. So It meant alot to me that he would actually do the research and find it for me.
I read it. I loved it. I still do. But I will not suggest anyone to read the series.
I developed such a strong affection for the characters and a love for their story and my heart was broken when I read Breaking Dawn. I have only read Braking Dawn once and I will never read it again. I locked it away in my closet in the same box with Deathly Hollows.
It is hard for me to even read the other ones over when I know how horribly the story ends. The first three books where a very big part of my post high school life. I made some really awesome friends because of mutual love for the first three books and I will never forget going to see the midnight showing of the movie. Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse are amazing books and I will never forget how I discovered them.
clpviolet
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by clpviolet »

Ok, so I was introduced to the Twilight saga by my sister. She actually told me an overview of the series. She said that Twilight is about a girl who meets a vampire and in New Moon he leaves and she befriends a werewolf and that in Eclipse they are fighting over her and that she was just starting Breaking Dawn. So she went to visit a friend in Northern California and took BD with her. Meanwhile the first 3 days that she was gone I literally devoured those books....I started Friday night and by Monday afternoon I was sitting around counting the days until she got back. She didn't get back until like Sunday so I was literally climbing the walls. I re-read Eclipse 2 times just because I was so addicted to the story.

So the thing is, the exact weekend that I started reading the books my life got flipped upside down because of serious personal drama :( . This series is so easy to get lost in and so not only did I like it, I needed to get lost, I just wanted to get away from my own pain. So I started New Moon and even though I already kind of knew what was going to happen I still cried my eyes out when Edward left :cry: . It totally broke my heart reading that because I was already living that. I was so happy when Bella stopped Edward from stepping into the sun, on the edge of my seat while they were trapped with the Volturi :? , and soaring when Edward spoke of his love for Bella after they got back from Italy and then proposed to her :P . Okay, so Eclipse: I admit that I was just as clueless as Bella was as far as her being in love with Jake :?: . I was cracking up when she punched him and just as pissed of at him while Edward said he would break his jaw next time. Oh, and the kiss I was like "OH MY GOD!!!!!WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? :o " And I cried again when Bella went to go see him and she had to pull over after she left and then cried all night on Edwards shoulder :cry: . I loved Breaking Dawn :P . Plain and simple, no doubt about it. I like happy endings and I wish it didn't have to end at all.

So SM took vampires and made them her own, I say so what. It was easier to get lost in the story because of the changes she made to them and thats why I like to read in the first place. I emerse myself into a story, the more lost I get the more I like the book.
"You put your arms around me and I'm home" Christina Perri - Arms
Wildkitty
Settled in Forks

Post by Wildkitty »

I remember seeing the previews for the movie last fall and thought Hmmmm that looks like a good movie. I'm a sucker when it comes to the Forbidden love story types...

For some reason I totally forgot about it until this past spring. I don't remember how the subject of Twilight came out but I was at work and we were talking about Twilight. Then my coworder mentions that she has all 4 books and that they were awesome. I didn't even know there were 4 books in the series....I know I know...where have I been :shock:

So I borrowed Twilight to read. I was already reading a book so I had to finish it before starting Twilight. But let me tell ya once I started reading Twilight I could not put it down!! I always read at night right before bed as it helps make me sleepy and I usually stop reading around 10pm.

It was not the case with Twilight. I could not stop reading it. I had to force myself to close the book when I would notice the clock showing 11pm and later. Even then I was awake for a bit thinking about what I had read and wanting to know what would happen next.

I think from then on every night I would go to bed earlier just so that I could read. It did not take me long to finish it and to borrow the 2nd book. I was into New Moon when I decided to go out and buy the series myself. I loved the story so much and I knew that I would be reading them more than once that I had to have my own copies.

I have the DVD at home and I've watched it about 4-5 times now and I know I'll watch it again and again.

I have become Twilight obsessed :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

Precious wrote:Ahh, were to begin...

I Adore the books... adore.. is that the right word? Addicted is more like it. The Twilight series is awesome, better than awesome to me. I have to say I believe that Meyers has become my favorite author.

I was in walmart looking at the books, I have been to barnes and nobles too. I was looking for a book to read and happened to see Meyer's on the end cap. I picked up breaking dawn and was reading the back when a complete strangler walked up to me and sayd "OMG you HAVE to get the series, if you haven't read it yet, start with twilight." These kinds of things I take seriously, I pick up Twilight, go to the register and purchased it.

A day later (work got in the way) I'm at walmart again with the remaining books. I was in the world of Twilight for four days, I finish ALL books in that series. I even read during work haha. (didn't have much to do anyways...) I found that I couldn't put these books down. Some of my friends at work have read the series and I was joking with them about Meyer's lacing some of drug to the pages to make me soooo addicted. (JOKE!!! NOTHING MORE!!!)

When I finished Breaking dawn it was Sunday 12am. I was up till 2am THINKING about the book and sighing my head off, I was my own edward hahaha. (shh, don't tell my husband!)

I honestly couldn't find anything I didn't like about it. My husband thought I was nuts, I always had this goofy grin on my face reading it. Sometimes I just start laughing and that was it. Poor guy, he got NO attention those four days. Monday rolled around I was at work, I didn't want to work, I was thinking about the books and nothing more. I found I wanted more... I got on Meyer's website to find just that. I read all the quotes, I read all the extras, I even read all the stuff she took out. I still wanted more.

Addicted? I was beyond all help.

Then I found the draft to Edwards twilight. Let's just say my monday was booked. I finished that monday night at around 10.30pm.

I enjoyed THAT a great deal, it was GREAT, I laughed, a vampire JEALOUS, I would call my husband in there to read to him. He thought I'd gone insane. I was slapping my pillow when I was at the part that he uprooted the trees and broke them when Mike was messing with Bella's hair. This was just so amazing!! I enjoyed hearing Edwards side of the story, it fit! I was so amazed at how perfect I saw it fit!

After reading it, I wanted MORE. Ugh, will this ever end?!?! So here I am, tuesday morning, reading twilight AGAIN!

My husband finally got to talk to me lol.. he asked me if Meyer's was my favorite author and I said "yes". Not only does she know her own stories but she can tell them! I couldn't find any holes in the characters. You know how it is? You read them, you look for differences, I found none. Edward was edward through the whole thing, so was bella. It was the same for ALL of them. It was GREAT. I laughed during the time she had just became a new vampire when everyone was laughing at them. Of course they'd never forget the clumsy bella.

I'm going to watch the movie of course. I'm a little scepical though. I don't think they will do a good job, who ever does? I will be constantly comparing the books that I love to the movie. I will have to remeber that in books you can use your imagination, but a movie, well.. you see what is going on. Bella is an actor, so you can't use your imagination (or replace yourself with her..).

I hope that Stephanie Meyer's reads these. I know she's probably VERY busy but, keep writing, I love them. I hated for the story to end but I can understand that the story has been told, it's time to move on. It ended the way I wanted, there was love, everyone ended up getting their happily ever after. I was all warm and fuzzy when Jacob got his. Poor thing...

One more thing I wanted to talk about before hitting the post button. I can relate to Bella, it almost seems to me like Stephanie has told us a little about herself as well...she told it so well... I had a best friend I fell in love with, but I also loved another man. Just like Bella, I had to make a choice. But in real life, my best friend didn't get to imprint on another woman, no, he's still in love with me and we don't talk at all. No happy ending there. *sighs* Yes I can relate to Bella, during this time with Jacob I was crying and wanting to hug her and say "yes, I understand." Another thing I can relate to is that, when this best friend and I did agree it would be better to just go our seperate ways, it took me 2 years to get over that love I had for him. (he kept coming back like edward did and I kept saying "okay lets just be FRIENDS") I remember how I was back then, just like Bella, alive but not alive. I went through the motions of it. Now to this day, I think about him, wonder what he's doing. If he's got a gf, yes I'd be jealous.

GREAT JOB STEPHANIE!!

Edit: I have read the twilight saga (all books of course) 2 times and midnight sun (edward's twilight) 2 times also. MIGHT be working on a third!
I noticed you said you wanted more reading material from Stephanie, have you read her full lengh novel The Host? It's really neat. And I beleive she has written some short-stories too. Hope you will like these,Oh and I know the feeling(about after you've finished the series the 1rst time) I was sighing for like 2 weeks after I finished lol. :lol:
ImageImageImage
Cullen_Lover

Post by Cullen_Lover »

CantBreathe wrote:
Precious wrote:Some of my friends at work have read the series and I was joking with them about Meyer's lacing some of drug to the pages to make me soooo addicted. (JOKE!!! NOTHING MORE!!!)
Wow! Lately, I've been really thinking that there must be some subliminal messaging in the books somewhere that make us love them so much. My love for them is so unconditional- though I can find plenty of faults with the story and the characters, it's like I love it/them no matter what. I'm almost finished with Twilight for the 3rd time (I just got started on the series amidst the Breaking Dawn release in Aug) and plan on continuously reading the series... I can't imagine ever wanting to stop :oops: I'm super excited for the movie and I think it would have to be pretty bad for me to not go see it multiple times. I think though I will be analyzing every difference, the actors seem to all be fabulous in their roles and that makes all the difference to me!
Lol, thought id just comment on the "seeing it multiple times" Lol I uh, saw it in theaters 3 times before i bought it on DVD. :oops: :lol:
ImageImageImage
Cullen_Lover

Post by Cullen_Lover »

Completly genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FANTASTIC. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImage
BlueWolf
Settled in Forks

Post by BlueWolf »

It wasn't so much that it was a YA novel that I was just bored. I was browsing at the library and found the first book. I thought the cover was pretty but I read the back and it had the word "vampire." I was thinking "Um... okay... don't really like vampires but I'll try it out." I read it and was instantly hooked. I like how the Cullens aren't the type of vampire that go out and kill people randomly.
Leader of the "I Question My Own Fandoms" Club. It's part of a balanced fangirling ;D
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

GENIUS!!! I completely bowed to Stephanie Meyer's creative mind for coming up with this book.

I first found out about Twilight right before the release of the movie last November 2008. A couple of my friends mentioned the book Twilight and ask if I have read about them. I meant to check the book but I always forgot. So one weekend I just have this 'spur of the moment' that I want to read the book and went to the nearest and biggest bookstore near my house. One major problem, when I said I went to the biggest bookstore near my house I mean it literally its like a five story library full of books that you could possibly imagine (which is one of the reason why I love this bookstore), I always get lost everytime I went there so I always makes sure I know all the basic information on the book I'm going to purchase. So yeah my one major problem is that I only know the title of the book which is Twilight and nothing else. So I hit the internet cafe first and search the author for the book. Second major problem, when I got to the bookstore the sales lady told me that all the Twilight Saga are sold out (WHAATTT???!!!). So I comb the smaller bookstores in the area hoping that there is one single copy left in that bookstore. Luckily there is one bookstore that still has the stock so I purchased the first book, went home and read. From the moment I read the Prologue I become hooked on the saga. After I was done reading Twilight I went back to the same bookstore and purchased New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I was able to finished the books in 2 weeks.

Its been almost 8 months since I have read the saga, watched the first movie and fall in love with all the characters and yet here I am still re-reading the books, re-watching the first movie and falling more inlove with the characters. This is life...I love it.
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
AliceLuvsEdward
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by AliceLuvsEdward »

It wasn't quite to my taste. I agree with R Patz, actually. His thoughts were that it was Stephenie's fantasy, kind of.

I agree.
Last edited by AliceLuvsEdward on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMG! Twilight so freaking rocks! Alice Cullen rules!!!
ImageThank you BellaAndEdward.com!